“Best restaurant in Franklin, period”
Review of Cool Cafe

Cool Cafe
Ranked #36 of 378 Restaurants in Franklin
Description: Cool Cafe blends "Fine Southern Food" and scratch cookin' for a scrumptious and hearty meal for lunch and dinner. We serve lunch Sunday through Friday and dinner Monday through Thursday. Entrees, like Fried Chicken, Meatloaf, Pot Roast, and Chef's Specials such as Lemon Baked Chicken, Baked Tilapia and Chicken Mexico, team up with a variety of freshly cooked vegetables such as, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Fried Corn, Turnip Greens, White Beans, Creamed Spinach, Fried Okra and Mac and Cheese. All are served with your choice of yeast rolls or cornbread. One of our special items, served Sunday through Thursday, is HOT CHICKEN on white bread and served with homemade pickles. What a treat! If you would like something "Cool", try our Cool Salads: Broccoli Salad (Tim's special recipe), Cole Slaw, Cranberry Salad, 3 Bean Salad, Pea Salad, Potato Salad, and delectable Chicken Salad made with green grapes and a special creamy sauce. And don't miss the old fashioned, just like Grandma used to make, Deviled Eggs! A must have is dessert, and oh, what choices there are! The house special served everyday is the World Famous Banana Pudding, made from scratch pudding, fresh bananas, vanilla wafers and a 5 inch cloud of real meringue! Then there are the fruit cobblers, two choices daily, apple, cherry, peach, and blackberry. The daily specials rotate and there are choices like made from scratch Brownies with house-made caramel sauce, and Chocolate Chip Cookies. There are a variety of cupcakes, Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, and Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing! Be on the lookout for new and/or seasonal desserts, such as Pumpkin or Pecan Pie!
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Franklin has an interesting mix of restaurants for a suburb. Cool Springs is full of business and family chain restaurants of middlin' quality. Downtown is full of the tourist-oriented and chick food kitschy places and they are okay for the most part. The Cool Cafe is in a strip center location in neither place ad does not look like much from the outside, but it does deliver the best food and its fans know it.

Everything is apparently made from scratch and it shows. It is all very Southern and it is all comfort food. This is not the place to go to ask if they meet one of the strange new diet restrictions people come up with these days (free range, gluten free, yada yada yada). If a food is supposed to be fried it is fried here. Pork chops, chicken, fish..it is all breaded with wonderful gluten containing goodness. My favorite dish is the meat loaf, but I have never gone in and not found at least two things that look and taste wonderful.

The lunch crowd is very diverse and the same faces are in there regularly. Laborers, county and city office workers, route drivers, high school staff, this small place moves them through the small space really quickly.

The number one dish there is the fried chicken and I think it is on the menu most days. Fried chicken is usually something their Momma does best, but honestly your Momma would have to be a superhero to do it better than these guys. Perfectly crispy on the outside, lots of wonderful breading, and not greasy. Even the breasts are good and moist and flavorful. The desserts are wonderful but I rarely have room for it.

My favorite sides are the cream corn and potato salad but honestly every side is good, even the brussel sprouts.

1  Thank JeffFromFranklin

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We love cool cafe and its staff. My favorite night is Thursday. BBQ chicken is the best. My husband loves the meatloaf and my kids love the fried chicken (which is available daily). I also love Wednesdays for the tilapia and last Tuesday we enjoyed the chefs choice which was chicken broccoli casserole. Yummy. My also loves the banana pudding.

1  Thank Candi H
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I found the food to be amazing... It was just what I was looking for who it comes to great cuisine! I'd heard about it from the locals and loved that it was so close to where we were saying.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have eaten at Cool Cafe many times and LOVE the food, service and atmosphere. It's very comfortable, not at all stuffy. I particularly like the fried chicken, pot roast, mashed potatoes, fried okra, corn and apple cobbler (but not all at the same time).

You should try it...you will be glad you did!

2  Thank Carol E
Reviewed June 3, 2013

several of my co workers and I decided on this place at lunch and we were all very impressed. A wonderful meet & 3. I had the meat loaf and it was very good. All of the sides looked so great that I had a hard time deciding on which ones to get. Everyone at our table all stated that we would all definatly come back. We all loved what we had each gotten.

1  Thank 0501MVKG