“Off the beaten path but worth the Trip”
Review of Cool Cafe

Cool Cafe
Ranked #24 of 386 Restaurants in Franklin
Description: Cool Cafe blends "Fine Southern Food" and scratch cookin' for a scrumptious and hearty meal for lunch and dinner. We serve lunch Sunday through Friday and dinner Monday through Thursday. Entrees, like Fried Chicken, Meatloaf, Pot Roast, and Chef's Specials such as Lemon Baked Chicken, Baked Tilapia and Chicken Mexico, team up with a variety of freshly cooked vegetables such as, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Fried Corn, Turnip Greens, White Beans, Creamed Spinach, Fried Okra and Mac and Cheese. All are served with your choice of yeast rolls or cornbread. One of our special items, served Sunday through Thursday, is HOT CHICKEN on white bread and served with homemade pickles. What a treat! If you would like something "Cool", try our Cool Salads: Broccoli Salad (Tim's special recipe), Cole Slaw, Cranberry Salad, 3 Bean Salad, Pea Salad, Potato Salad, and delectable Chicken Salad made with green grapes and a special creamy sauce. And don't miss the old fashioned, just like Grandma used to make, Deviled Eggs! A must have is dessert, and oh, what choices there are! The house special served everyday is the World Famous Banana Pudding, made from scratch pudding, fresh bananas, vanilla wafers and a 5 inch cloud of real meringue! Then there are the fruit cobblers, two choices daily, apple, cherry, peach, and blackberry. The daily specials rotate and there are choices like made from scratch Brownies with house-made caramel sauce, and Chocolate Chip Cookies. There are a variety of cupcakes, Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, and Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing! Be on the lookout for new and/or seasonal desserts, such as Pumpkin or Pecan Pie!
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place by far has the best banana pudding that I have ever tasted in my life! The restaurant is decently priced and is a la carte. You choose your meat and sides and are billed based on that. However make sure to leave room for dessert because that is definitely the highlight of this place. Also be aware that they close around 2pm to restock and reopen for dinner.

1  Thank Harry M

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I grew up in rural middle Tennessee and I know good (great), Southern cooking. My mom, grandmothers, aunts, cousins, and extended family members all know their way around a kitchen and exactly why cast iron skillets are a staple in any good one. They all still make my ultimate favorite meals, but if I was forced to choose my "last meal" from a restaurant, it would be the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and WHITE gravy (only available on Tuesdays), southern-style corn, green beans, cornbread, AND Banana Pudding from Cool Cafe. (If it’s my last meal, who’s counting calories?!)

I wish I could take credit for discovering this perfect gem myself. I actually have my wonderful husband to thank for introducing me. The wife of the husband-wife owner duo gave him a business card with "one free meal" hand-written on the back with her signature as a thank you for his assistance in selecting a cell phone several years ago. Since we live in Mt Juliet and he worked outside of Franklin, he gave the card to me. I chose a day I did not already have a lunch scheduled with a customer and punched the address into my gps. As I walked in, I discovered this "meat-n-three, cafeteria-style” restaurant had been a secret only to me. It was packed! They gave me a full meat and three, an iced tea, AND a serving of their homemade banana pudding in exchange for the wife’s business card. Needless to say, I found myself in a severe food coma that afternoon – despite taking literally half of it home to my hubby!

That first visit several years ago has led to innumerable visits since. As an outside sales rep who covers Franklin, I was elated to find a non-chain restaurant I could share with my customers. I’ve taken countless friends, family members, coworkers and customers since that initial euphoric meal. They, in turn, have taken many guests of their own. I actually met with one of my customers from out-of-town today who I took to Cool Cafe a few weeks ago. He said he had been back several times since and had sent some of his coworkers over last week. He said aside from being aggravated by the sluggishness that ensued, they were grateful to have been introduced to this tucked away little spot.

POINTERS: The line moves quickly so do not be deterred. Also, I know “cafeteria-style” often conjures up thoughts of bland, school/hospital cafeteria type foods. Stop that thinking right now! Piccadilly it is NOT! Think Arnold’s, only better. Prices are a bit high for other area meat-n-threes, but you won’t find their flavors or their portion sizes at any of their competitor’s either. ***If price is a concern, go between 5-7pm on a weekday and you can get their take-away deal of eight-pieces of chicken, two one-pound sides, and rolls/cornbread for $17 +tax. Otherwise, take solace knowing that you can (and SHOULD) make two meals out of their servings. Also, in case any Williamson county elite are wondering, they offer only the finest paper plates, plastic flatware, and styrofoam cups available. I cannot imagine why anyone would be offended by this, but tom-A-to, Tom-a-to.

Again, I recommend going on Tuesday (the only day they serve white gravy, because it’s my favorite) and ordering Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes with WHITE Gravy, ___ fill in the blank with any of their other Southern style sides, and the BANANA PUDDING! This is as close to my grandmother’s kitchen as I’ve ever tasted. Your waistline won’t thank me, but your taste buds will. Hope to see you in there soon – you should spot me easily, I’m the 125 (ok, 131 lb), 5’4” gal with the above mentioned meal in front of me on Tuesdays.

2  Thank Kristen M
Reviewed March 22, 2013

A friend asked me to meet him at Cool Cafe on yesterday and it was a good experience. They have a short line where you can choose between several meat choices and vega as well, and everything we had was really good. Friendly atmosphere, and the manager came to our table, asking if everything was up to our approval. Good food, good service. I will definitely be back there in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

You can't find real southern food at any other restaurant around unless you go to your moms or grandmas. I laugh at some of of the other reviews complaining about plastic silverware and styrofoam plates. The food is so good who cares. It's prepared fresh every day and you can't beat that. Not to mention the serving size you get. Some say its pricey and I can agree but when you compare it to the portion sizes you get it's not bad at all. I always have left overs so that adds up to two meals for the price of one to me. My kids love it and the staff is always friendly. It's a meat and three that's fresh and you didn't have to spend all that time cooking it so what's not to love? Will continue to eat here over and over again!!!

1  Thank Candi H
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Okay, I know food prices are going up, but 75 cents for HALF of a deviled egg. Please, give me a break. Yes, I can get my greens, peas and fried chicken but it's pricey. I believe in a decent wage and prices, but I think they need to re-evaluate some prices....corn bread, eggs, etc.

Sherrie P, Public Relations Manager at Cool Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

mtknash- Thanks for the review. We work hard to keep our prices down at Cool Cafe while still providing fresh and high quality foods. With rising food costs, and other business expenses we have to keep our prices at a place that helps continue the growth of our business. If you would please come back in and let us know it's you we are happy to give you a dessert shot on us. Have a great day!