“Southern Food and Hospitality at its Best!!!”

Barbara's Home Cookin
Ranked #58 of 378 Restaurants in Franklin
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We live in Eastern NC and visit our daughter in Nashville regularly. Barbara's is number ONE on our list of places to eat. The food is authentic southern-style, freshly prepared, and the homemade rolls are to die for. All of the servers and staff make you feel right at home - just like you're sitting down at their kitchen table. The poppy seed chicken is a delicious casserole, you'll definitely want to try. Our excellent server was Odette - just can't say enough good things about her. My daughter ordered chicken tenders (her favorite), fried okra and creamed corn. I had the poppy seed chicken, fried okra and sweet potato casserole. My husband had the pork chops, turnips and fried okra. Everything was deeelish!! My husband was the only one who had room for dessert, and since blackberry cobbler is one of his favorite desserts, he thought he'd give it a try. It was served warm with vanilla ice cream on top. His face lit up when he took the first bite. Yes, it was a huge hit. We'll always be sure to visit Barbara's every time we make the trek to Nashville.

1  Thank GininNC
There are newer reviews for Barbara's Home Cookin

Reviewed July 13, 2014

All I can say is that the food is great and the employees are very attentive! It was great talking to the wait staff and learning about their lives! Plus, those rolls... what can I say other than ADDICTIVE!

1  Thank KajeRglenwoodsprings
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I found this little gem through Trip Advisor & it didn't disappoint! I prefer hole in the wall vs. chain restaurants any day. When we pulled in my family looked at me like I had three heads. If you are looking for excellent service (Norma!) & great food & aren't looking for pristine dining you won't regret your decision to give it a whirl. These gracious hostesses welcome you like a treasured guest in their own house (it is an old house). The simplicity of reading the menu on the large chalkboard tickled my fancy for some reason. Our hostess, Norma was delightful from the minute she opened her mouth and her unusual South African accent emerged. She made recommendations for our dinner selections, disappeared for a couple of minutes and re-emerged bearing a hearty sample of poppyseed chicken and scalloped pineapple. We each ordered a meal and shared everything because it was too difficult to decide. Our palettes were pleased with the variety of taste sensations including: fried chicken, poppyseed chicken, fried green tomatoes, sweet potatoe soufflé, Mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, cucumber tomato salad, fried okra, creamy corn & start this feast homemade rolls. We were too stuffed to partake in any of the delectable appearing desserts that included fudge pie and some other berry selections. To conclude our visit we got to meet Barbara! Barbara still works at the restaurant that she previously owned but only after she handed down her beloved recipes. The food, the nostalgia of knowing you were eating in a restaurant that has been apart of this quaint little town for 30 years & the friendly service were the perfect beginning to our spring road trip!

1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We finally had the pleasure of eating at Barbara's while in Franklin. I enjoyed the Fried Chicken while the others in my party raved about their Poppyseed Chicken. All of our sides were fresh and delicious.The rolls that were brought to our table were amazing and disappeared quickly! The desserts looked great but we were too full to try them…perhaps next visit because we will come back.

1  Thank BearFacts
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Hands down the best home cookin' restaurant EVER. The service was impeccable. The food was delicious....,. Especially the poppyseed chicken!

Go.....first chance you get. And wear comfy clothes. You will want to eat until you pop!

1  Thank MyTrips1000