“Real Home Cooking”

Barbara's Home Cookin
Ranked #49 of 382 Restaurants in Franklin
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Barbara's is a hidden gem, located off the beaten path and a little hard to find. The first time I went there, I was convinced I was lost and at the wrong place. Barbara's is in an old house.
The food reminds me of my childhood. It's not gourmet but simple food, made fresh. The menu is limited but with the basics; fried chicken, meatloaf and poppy seed casserole that's just like one my mom used to make. On Fridays, catfish and gumbo is added. The catfish is big and very well fried in a thick cornbread coating. The gumbo is very meaty and makes a meal by itself, like all of the soups I've had there. It all comes with yeast rolls which are as good as the cobblers. Everything tastes freshly made from scratch.
I think of Barbara's as an authentic alternative to the Loveless Cafe without the commercial appeal and with a more limited menu. It's a great choice for people who look for good food, not fancy places, and for a true hometown mom and pop experience.

1  Thank odd3

Reviewed November 18, 2011

We love meat/three type places with southern home cooking so are always searching for new ones. Barbara's is hands down the best we've ever been to. It is a well kept secret because we've lived here ten years just five minutes away and never knew about it. It is tucked away down Old Hillsboro. The homemade desserts are unbelievable. I really felt like I was at Grandma's house.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

The fried chicken is the best we have ever had. We love the poppy seed chicken as well. It's definitely like walking into your grandmother's house, and everyone makes you feel right at home.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

We visited this restaurant earlier this week, and were expecting something special.....we were disappointed. the staff was friendly but didn't check back with us after our food arrived. The food was so-so. I tried their poppy seed chicken casserole, which our server assured me was terrific. It was basically chicken in a cream sauce with poppy seeds tossed on top. The portions are very small, the green beans tasted like canned, and the potatoes were cold. Also, they charge $1.85 for a can of coke and a glass of ice. Refills are also $1.85 each. We were not impressed.

Reviewed March 14, 2009

This is a meat and three - for real. Don't go if you are expecting Cracker Barrel or Shoney's. You'll know that from the moment you pull in. Here you look at what the menu board has for the day and make your picks. It's about as close to real downhome country cooking as you are going to find this close to the city.