“Expensive. And "Average" food and serving size for the price.”

Granite City Food & Brewery
Ranked #13 of 373 Restaurants in Franklin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Granite City Food & Brewery(R), a casual dining restaurant with an on-site brewery. Our initial restaurant commenced operations in St. Cloud, Minnesota, in June 1999. Our second restaurant, located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, commenced operations in December 2000, and our third restaurant opened to the public November 20, 2001 in Fargo, North Dakota. We now have 26 stores operating in 11 different states. At Granite City Food & Brewery(R), we serve signature beers, including Duke of Wellington (an English ale) and Broad Axe Stout (an authentic Irish beer), and entrees such as London broil. We offer a broad menu of items that are prepared fresh daily and are served in generous portions at reasonable prices. Our handcrafted beers are moderately priced and offer unique styles and flavors not typically produced by major breweries. Our founders, Mr. Wagenheim and Mr. Burdick, have over 52 years of combined hospitality industry experience. Mr. Wagenheim's experience includes that of corporate executive, owner/operator, manager and consultant for hotels, resorts, and individual and multi-unit restaurant operations. Mr. Burdick, a brewing chemist, has over 30 years experience in the restaurant, hospitality and brewing industry in both corporate and private positions. Fermentus Interruptus™Shortly before we opened our third store, we launched our patented brewing process, Fermentus Interruptus™, which makes micro brewing for multiple locations more efficient. This process, conceived and designed by Mr. Burdick, allows us to ship sweet liquid called wort, from our central brewing facility to individual stores. When this liquid reaches the stores, we begin the fermentation process and complete the brewing. We use Fermentus Interruptus at all of our Granite City Food & Brewery(R) locations.
NH
“Expensive. And "Average" food and serving size for the price.”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I didn't really have many choices as to where I could eat when I recently stayed at the Drury Plaza, adjacent to this restaurant. I heard glowing reports about it from someone I know, but... anyway. Here goes.

There are restaurants that always appear to "give as much as they can afford to give," and other restaurants that "give as little as they can get away with." In my opinion, this restaurant leans toward the latter.

Granted, I was only in town for 4 days, and didn't have a lot of time to spend in the restaurant. The restaurant catered our event on Saturday, and as much as I'd like to tell you how it was, I cannot. By the time I got to the food trays, they ran out of just about everything and said to come back. They said to get "sides." But, the "salad" was nothing but lettuce. And the other trays were pretty worn out too.

When we were alerted that they had reloaded, again, by the time I got up to it, they were out. I ran (well, walked-jogged) over to the Whole Foods market in what time I had left to find something.

Looking at the plates of my fellow conference-goers, it looked like pretty tired salmon and pieces of beef (like sirloin tips) in some kind of sauce.

Finally went in for a snack Saturday night and ordered some wings - I wanted to ask if they were ABSOLUTELY SURE they could really spare those 2 pieces of celery... I was pretty hungry, but the order of wings was pretty paltry in my opinion. For $8 I expected more. They tasted ok, nothing out of the ordinary.

Sunday they didn't serve lunch, only brunch. Again, a long wait, and being at a conference I didn't have the luxury of time. Walked over to Whole Foods instead. Seriously... there was pretty much no place else I could find to serve food.

Monday, I decided to have lunch there. I was pretty hungry, so I thought that the sirloin steak might be good - it was about the only entry that looked good to me for less than $20. Unfortunately, the server said that they were out of it.

So, I asked about the Flank Steak, and she began to fidget. "Ummm... We've taken that off the menu." I didn't feel like dropping nearly $30 for a decent steak. I finally decided on a Chicken meal - Chicken Marsala - and it was actually pretty tasty. However, the portion size was deceptive. I thought, "Wow! They actually are giving me some food here!" but what it was, was just the 2 pieces of chicken stacked on the side of a huge portion of mashed potatoes.

That, and a cup of coffee, and the tip was about $26.

It wasn't terrible, just not awesome. Beer drinkers would like it, because they have an extensive selection of beer.

Next time, if I ever have to go back to this area, I'm hopeful there will be a few other restaurants built that are within walking distance.

Coto de Caza
“Service & Food Substandard”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant was packed, however, I found the food to be substandard - both the soup and chowder) were very salty and do not order the Idaho Nachos. I overlooked the description that these nachos are made with potato chips but not sure why they thought potato chips should ever be paired with melted cheese and sour cream??
Our server seemed to want to be anywhere than serving customers (and we were easy...didn't even mention the bad nachos b/c it was really our oversight).

Note: I have eaten at the Granite City in Troy, MI and found the food to be great, along with the service.

1 Thank TAG18
Cincy
“Average”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Nice newer place connected to The Drury Inn which was nice as I was staying in the hotel. They had good beer that is brewed onsight. The food is average. The service is above average, server had extensive knowledge of the menu. I would go back.

• Visited November 2013
“Used to be my favorite.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were recommended Granite City by friends and we initially enjoyed eating there. The service has never been great, but we tolerated it because the food made up for it. Our last visit was disappointing. Not only was the service subpar, but the food was not up to GC's standard. When I brought to the waiter's attention regarding the drinks, I was told, " That's the best I could do." He never tried to correct it or offered to bring a new drink. Never make the man mad who pays the bill and leaves the tip! Will we go back? Probably if I can talk my spouse into it we will give them one more chance. Stay tuned.....

Manchester, United Kingdom
“kind of plastic”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

so if you go in on a Sunday and as a visitor from lets say England
buy a bottle of wine , and tip , you would expect to be told that last orders at 22:00 , nope tried to order a drink @22:00 was told no , its closed , not bothered about service , i e informing customers , Crap service and aslo my food was not cooked as i wanted , well come to america

Visited November 2013