“Nice lunch experience.”
Review of Okra - CLOSED

Okra
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open about a month, Okra is making a splash in Fayetteville and as far away as Huntsville, Al and Franklin, TN. The food is Southern with a flair. This is the only restaurant in Fayetteville with a trained Chef and the quality of the food shows the results of careful training coupled with imagination. Blue Plate special at lunch changed daily as does the dinner special. More up-scale (table cloth and candles) at night.
“Nice lunch experience.”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We visited Okra for lunch. It was a pleasant family experience. The food was delicious and the staff was friendly and attentive. Only complaint was the Oyster Po Boy had only 6 very small oysters. Tasty but meager. Will visit again.

• Visited December 2013

“Disappointment”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Happen to come to this quaint little town, on a scenic route from Nashville for the CMA Awards, and was looking
for a nice country restaurant, came across the "Okra" perfect I said, country
cooking for sure! WRONG! Nothing on the menu country food! And the prices were outrageous. No cornbread, fritters, taters, maters, beans, vegetables.
no fried chicken, or even tenders.
so if you want fake country food, then by all means stop by, and be. Ready to leave hungry and with a empty wallet!

onesouthernchef, Owner at Okra, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
We are sorry that our guest was disappointed with their experience at OKRA. We don't like it when we don't meet expectations of our visitors, however I take issue that we don't offer Southern food. We offer a full blueplate menu every day for lunch that includes 3 meats like meatloaf, fried Chicken, or fried catfish. Our dinner menu is more upscale, but it is still Southern. Southern food is not just "maters, taters, dumplins, and fried stuff". Southern food is a varied tradition that incorporates influences from Caribbean, Africa, Mediterranean, French, and Native traditions among others. We offer items like Pan Seared Catfish with apple slaw and sorghum reduction over grits, Braised Rabbit with port wine demi and roasted root vegetables, or Pimento Cheese and Toast Points appetizer. This may not be "Country Cookin'" that the guest was looking for, but it is definitely Southern.
Tullahoma, Tennessee
“My Regular Fayetteville Stop”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My business takes me to Fayetteville almost every week and I always take clients to Okra for a business lunch. The service is always good, the food is always fresh and well prepared, and the atmosphere is conducive to conversation.

On my last stop earlier this week I had pork loin, sweet potato salad, and pinto beans. Made-from-scratch cornbread is always included with the meal and is one of the attractions for me. Too many restaurants use a mix for their cornbread and this mix usually has sugar as one of its ingredients. Sugar in cornbread is not to my taste, nor is it in keeping with traditional Southern cooking. i am so glad Okra cooks its cornbread from scratch.

A word about the sweet potato salad---it is unique. Sweet potatoes with apple shreds and some other ingredient I can't quite place. I have eaten in many restaurants on three continents but I have never found another dish like this. It is truly great.

One of my clients, at my last visit, had fried chicken. He is a native of the area and said this was the best chicken he had ever eaten, he just hoped his mother could not hear him say so!

1 Thank tenntraveller70
“delusions of grandeur!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

A good attempt at nice atmosphere to draw you in. Curtious and good service. The problem is, instead of pretending to be a five star restaurant focus on Cooking good quality food at a reasonable price. Every meal is $20 and up! The food comes straight from a freezer and into the microwave and the taste is horrible. With the name "Okra" your thinking southern comfort food but instead you get country smoked Cajun seafood that wants to be Mediterranean.

onesouthernchef, Owner at Okra, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
We don't own a microwave or a freezer, neither is used in our kitchen as we prepare all menu items from scratch from as many local and fresh ingredients as possible. We are sorry that the guest did not enjoy their selection, but describing it as out of the freezer and into the microwave is simply not true. We welcome anyone to see our kitchen as time and business permits, but I can assure you a microwave and freezer are two things you will never find at OKRA.
Ringgold, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous Time!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The food, service and ambiance were exceptional! Attention to detail was outstanding! Looking forward to our next visit!

• Visited September 2013