“Courteous service, good beer, great food”

Restaurant Linderhof
Ranked #7 of 30 Restaurants in Farragut
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Me, my girlfriend and a friend of mine went to Linderhof on one Saturday on Oct 2013. The first to catch attention was the old decor with chandeliers and art-work reminding of by-gone European ages, which was a welcome change of ambience for us. The crowd was mostly a combination of upper-middle-class people in 40-70s, with a few young couples occupying a couple of other tables. We ordered a combination of Schnitzel and Wurst dishes. The Shnitzels are the best I have ever had anywhere in US. Not that the food tastes completely authentic German (it gets pretty close though for a non-German), but it was a good combination of spices and condiments that made the food taste good. The Wurst was okay, but nothing extraordinary. The beer selection was good, so was the music (a man playing known tunes in an accordian). The waitress was not the most informed about the food or the drinks, and had to refer to people in the kitchen every-time we asked any qiestion about the menu or the time for cooking or ingredients. But in the end, I had left my credit-card on the table (I was half drunk after 3 beers), she followed us to the arking lot, stopped the car, gave back my credit card, and also, packed us some bottled water for the road (I was not the one driving though). We did like the gesture. Overall, a good experience of food and ambience, especially, I would highly recommend the Shnitzel combo dinners at Linderhof any day.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I don't get to Linderhof often enough. This was my third time at the restaurant, primarily because it's expensive, and it's on the wrong side of town. West Knoxville is a suburban nightmare, and Farragut is even worse.

But this place is absolutely worth the drive from downtown Knoxville.

It was a Thursday evening, so there was no wait at all for a table. They misstepped slightly with my wine order, as they were out of the Gewurztraminer that I ordered, but they were quick with a few sample glasses of a nice Liebfraumilch, which I then ordered.

I followed this up with an appetizer order of (my German is... unworkable, so I'll describe the dish) a liver sausage pate on bread, which was AMAZING. Incredibly rich, it was a slice of bread, spread with a large amount of butter, covered in liver pate, and topped with a gherkin and sliced onion. I finished half, stepped outside for a few minutes, and had it boxed and bagged by the time I got back.

This was followed up with their wurst platter for two, shared with my friend who was along for the evening. This started with a soup, I had the potato, she had the beer cheese. Both were absolutely fantastic. This was followed by a salad, consisting of two kinds of cabbage, red and green, both pickled, and a potato salad. A few vinegared cucumbers were on the side - and let's just say the plates went back empty.

The main course was of course sausages. Accompanying the generous portion was a large quantity of red cabbage and sauerkraut, both of which were delicious, and they gave us individual portions of a very nice mustard.

We followed with a bit of schnapps.

Yes, this took time. As noted by others, this is not fast food. We spent over two hours in the restaurant, but not a minute was wasted, between enjoying the food and enjoying the atmosphere this was in my top restaurant experiences.

2  Thank DarkVaderJ
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We've been to Linderhoff 5-6 times in the past 5 years but I doubt we will go again. The last two visits have been disappointing. We've never minded the wait, which today was actually not long at all, and the garish decor is sort of charming in a way. Why wont we go back? They no longer have beef rouladen, they now have veal rouladen which is not remotely as good. Secondly, the last 2 visits the same loud, foul-mouthed bald guy has been at the bar (maybe he owns it? I think he's just a barfly) and the place is tooooo small to avoid overhearing him.
The entrees are heavy on side dishes with small portions of main dish. The soup is not hot, the beer is not cold.The food at Linderhoff is just average and actually quite expensive so if Im going to pay $70 for dinner for 2, no alcohol, I don't want to listen to some guy throwing f-bombs around the restaurant. Hey at least they no longer have a smoking section like they used to!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have been to Linderhof on a number of occasions, and have been very happy every time. I do not understand the other reviews that complain about the wait. It is written in the menu that the meals are prepared for you, and it might require a wait. I have waited for my meal a little longer than American places, when there is a large crowd, like New Years Eve, but it is in black and white for all to see, in the menu. Your patience is rewarded. They serve bread, soup, and salad so who can starve while they wait? Relax, sit back, enjoy the beer or wine, and the company you are with. How can the European way of dining be wrong, when it tastes so very right?!

2  Thank jenselby209
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I used a Groupon to try this place out, as I wasn't sure if my husband and I liked German food or not. On that note, I cannot tell you if the food is authentic or not, but it tasted ok. We did discover that German food is not for us, but several of the dishes were very tasty. The place is a little crazy looking. It is painted purple inside and has artwork and pieces to look like they came from old Europe. We tried the adventure in dining for two which is $39.95. It came with two salads made of potato salad, two kinds of kraut, and cucumber salad. Beer cheese soup was pretty good, but not the best thing I've ever had. The bread basket is rye and pumpernickel bread with regular butter. The meal consisted of three types of meat, a sausage with mustard, a large and very tasty pork chop, and a huge piece of pork shank that tasted smoked and was also very good. The food is brought out on one plate and you each take a portion from it. The meat was served with two types of kraut, white and red, and a type of pasta with cheese. The service was very good and we were not treated any different for having a groupon. We tried two types of German beer. I couldn't taste any difference, but I am not a beer drinker. My husband noted that they tasted different to him, but he prefers American beer.