“Southern comfort food.”

Country Mill Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ethridge
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Huge helpings and down home taste. I had the meat loaf and it was delicious. The mashed potatoes were the real thing. Friendly service this restaurant is just behind the welcome center. I enjoyed this type of food so it was a great lunch for me.

2  Thank Randall S

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I expected home cooked meal, got food that tasted like it just came out of a can and was heated.
was very disappointed

3  Thank djk705
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I arrived a little after the usual "lunch time" like around 3:30pm instead of the normal 11:30Am-2:00pm or so as I have the habit of doing since I just eat whenever I get to it and when I get hungry. The downside is I usually have a limited choice depending on what's still available. No buffet available that day/time.

I didn't have a choice except to order a meat & 2 or 3, (I chose a meat &2) my choice of meat was limited to catfish and meatloaf, but there was a good choice of vegetables. I chose the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried squash w/ a piece of cornbread. The meatloaf was good and instead of the tomato based sauce that I prefer, it had brown gravy on it, (not complaining), the mashed potatoes & gravy were homemade, and I think the butter was too. the white gravy was piping hot as the cook had a pot simmering on the stove. I only eat real butter, no imitation stuff, but this tasted home churned, excellent. One reason for visiting this area was to buy Amish foods, a supplement to my usual grocery shopping. but no butter available for me to buy. Boo!

The meal was very good and don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, even though it was nothing really exciting or new to me except that it wasn't fast food and didn't come from a box like my usual meals at home. I'm a terrible cook.

I really appreciated that unlike many chain restaurants who are trying to fulfil customer demands for the trendy health food craze now (whole grain, organic, fat free whatever???) the food here was real, and tasted how delicious, satisfying and nutritious, healthy food should taste. No suffering thru a lousy meal here b/c of current food trends.

My favorite part of the meal is always dessert, but maybe b/c I'm always "late" for a meal my choice of cheescake for dessert was unavailable. It sure did sound good though. The meal and drink came to about $8 plus tip. Not bad for a full meal.

To solve the dessert problem, and do my grocery shoppin, I went into the nearby Amish community where many families sell their goods at their homes. Many goodies to be had there.

4  Thank emmi16
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is now the "Red Rooster". I had a vegetable plate from the buffet and it was excellent Southern food - at $4.99 it was a steal! Yummy yeast roll too. Excellent service. If you don't like this kind of "home cooking" you might want to get a burger. Nothing fancy, just really good food.

5  Thank Koda
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Food was okay, no menu item stood out as a favorite.

2  Thank byrose76