“Beware....only 1 pet friendly room!”
Review of Super 8 Erwin

Super 8 Erwin
Super 8 Erwin
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Erwin
Gatlinburg TN
“Beware....only 1 pet friendly room!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We wanted to stay at this hotel since I frequent Super 8's and get reward points. We were traveling with our dog. I called to inquire about a room and was told that the 1 and only pet friendly room they had was occupied. The manager then referred us to another nearby motel that either he had an interest in, or knew the owners. The name of the motel was the Best Southern. Their rate was $10.00 less than what the rate would have been at the super 8 (with the $10.00 pet fee added). I travel over 200 days a year. The Best Southern motel rates as one of the worst motels that I have ever stayed in. I called the manager of the Super 8 the next day to tell him that he should not be referring people to this hotel. He asked if I had looked at the room and I said yes. We took the only room that did not stink of cigarettes. He said that if I did not like it, I should not have stayed. This was a small town and no other lodging choices were available. Whatever....bottom line, I think it is misleading to say that you are a pet friendly hotel and have only 1 pet friendly room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travels4Life

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stay there during a resupply on an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Very friendly staff and great rates, hiker friendly. Located right next to the Interstate, but noise was not a problem. Very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MarkhMD
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here for the Bristol Nascar Race weekend. We paid over $230/per night. There was NO HOT WATER at all, Continental breakfast was pathetic, Cigarette burns in the sheets....I would not recommend staying here. Go further up to Johnson city.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rtlr
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Walked in on a weeknight. Although the parking lot was mostly empty the rate surprisingly high. A definate plus is the motel is pet friendly with a modest upcharge.
Minuses were stained carpeting and, as the building is of wood frame construction, every foot step, door closing and toliet flush is clearly audible.
One interesting note. I wanted a cup of hot tea in the evening. The room had a single serve coffee brewer. It didn't work. Closer inspection showed a disgustingly filthy water hopper, although the outside shined.
When I took the brewer up to the desk the man seemed mystified about what to do. He said there was no spare and coffee and hot water was available in the breakfast area. Hello? It looked as though the place was 90% vacant....surely providing a working coffee maker wouldn't have been difficult.
I'm sorry to say the coffee machine story speaks volumes about the mindset here.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank mpowell
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Got there at 1 AM, was charged $70.00 . Woke up the next morning and walked past the bed to see that the room chairs had stains all over them and the carpet was also stained and had burn marks in it and the box spring covering was falling off the box spring. The TV worked fine and the bathroom was clean. I went to the desk to show him what the internet said his prices were,he tells me" i should have called ahead" I asked him to come to my room to show him the condition of the room,he tells me "i should have looked at the room before i paid for it"(I was not given that option as he would not let me look at it or hand me the key with out paying up front).Never again...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ayla130692002
Ponchatoula
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This hotel is a very quiet hotel. It is right off of a busy highway, but I didn't hear a thing. Parking was great and easy to get things in and out easily. The town was quiet and nice. The only complaint would have to be how dirty the carpets looked. I was afraid to walk on the carpet because of the stains. Everything else however was very clean.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed one night en route to a backpacking trip on the Appalachain Trail. Our pet friendly, ground floor room was large and clean, as was the bathroom. It had a convenient location, right of I-26 and was adequate for our needs. Nothing special, but Super 8 is not trying to be.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mimic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erwin
Mountain Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Mars Hill
Red Roof Inn Johnson City
Red Roof Inn Johnson City
#8 of 19 in Johnson City

Been to Super 8 Erwin? Share your experiences!