“Had an Awesome time!”
Review of Nolichucky River

Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Erwin
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic river is great for white water rafting.
Pace, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Had an Awesome time!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went on a Sunday morning and the weather started off rainy. The staff was wonderful, even checked the radar to let us know about the rain. Our guide was Richard and he was excellent. We had a 6, 10, 16, and 18 year old along with myself and my mother. We took the lower river because of the 6 year old but it was perfect. We had packed a lunch but it wasnt needed because he brought granola bars for everyone and the trip was approx 3 hours long. He was just so great and knowledgable about all of our surroundings and the trip itself! I will never forget that trip and will be more than happy to return there and do it again!!!

1 Thank Shelli S

Limestone, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I almost drowned”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am 42 years old and I have never been white water rafting in my life. After this experience, I will NEVER go again. Me and my husband went on a day that the water was very high and very fast. We chose the class 3-4 rapids on the full-day trip because we were told that we just wouldn't have any fun on the lower part of the Nolichuckey river, that the lower part would basically be a floating trip. The Nolichuckey river is not referred to as the "river of death" for nothing. I have always loved the water and have never been afraid of water, but I have now found water that I am afraid of. I will have to admit that the trip was quite fun, UNTIL.... I was thrown from the raft. I believed that since I knew how to swim and had a life jacket on that I would be just fine, but I was literally ejected from our raft in the worse rapids of the river and found myself immediately in BIG trouble. I had landed so far away from the raft that I wasn't able to grab onto it. My ability to swim nor the life jacket did any good against the river's ability to pull me under. The river's currents pulled me under time and time again as it flung me like a ragdoll down it's raging path. Trying my best not to be thrown into it's huge rocks along the way, I was at it's mercy as to how long it would hold me under, before it would allow me to resurface momentarily to get a quick breath of air. I was drowning.... and quick. The rushing water had such a loud roar that no one could hear me calling out for help. No one except God could hear me. No sooner than the words "God, PLEASE help me" had come out of my mouth, I found myself behind a rock about the size of a mini van which shielded me from the rushing water so that I was able to grab on to it. I saw the guide standing on another rock on the other side of the river. He threw me a rope and pulled me to safety. I was DONE. I did NOT get back into the boat and finish the trip. I KNEW without a doubt in my mind that if I was thrown from the raft again that I would die because I did not have any energy left to go through that again. I climbed onto the rocks on the side of the river and walked back to the drop off point. Every other time in my life that I have ever been in the water I couldn't wait to go back because I love it so much, but I know that if it hadn't been for the grace of God I wouldn't be typing this today. My advice to you.....if you value your life, don't chance getting thrown out of the raft in the Nolichuckey in class 4 rapids when the water is high because you just not make it out alive.

6 Thank Jennifer B
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Whitewater Rafting”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

USA RAFTING on the river was awesome! Guides Chris and Keith made us feel safe and showed us a great time.Best time rafting and camping. Food was amazing.! Book your trip today

Winston Salem, North Carolina
417 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 270 helpful votes
“Great afternoon on the river”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Nolichucky river offers two types of rafting: the upper is Class III and IV with the lower being more gentle rapids (mainly Class I and II with a couple of III's). The lower is one of the few rivers that allow children down to aged 4 to raft. There were eleven of us in total: 7 adults and 4 kids aged 5 to 10. They put 4-6 in one raft with a guide but they also allowed us to chose to paddle a 'duckie' alongside for any adult that would prefer to paddle themselves. The nice thing about this raft trip is that you are not bused to the river from their center as the center is right on the river. The lower trip goes about 6 miles down a beautiful stretch of river. They stop once to let everyone swim and float in the current, then stop again for a lunch (carried on one of the rafts). The trip took around 3 to 4 hours. The kids had a blast as the rapids were just big enough to give them a bit of thrill and get splashed but nothing to cause the little ones any fear of falling out. The guides were helpful and even spent time showing the kids how to handle a raft. You are picked up at the end by a van and taken on a 15 minute ride back to the center. Hot showers and changing rooms are available to get into dry clothes. The town of Erwin is right on Interstate 26 about 50 miles north of Asheville, NC. The USA Outdoor center is easy to find, using paved roads (although the final stretch of road is a bit narrow and hugs the river bank). They operate May through September.

1 Thank Don49680
Bristol, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good 1/2 Day excursion”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

ERWIN TN.... The (Lower) Nolichucky is a very nice tubing river with several sets of rapids for a little added excitement providing the water level is high enough. It is a shallow river with many deep holes. Make sure you can swim fairly well and wear a PFD for added safety! For the most part one would not HAVE TO use a floatation device, but the river can (and will) pull you under if you happen to get thrown from your tube. Not recommended for those very young.

The scenery is great and the river is beautiful and clean. About a 3 hour ride without stopping.

Visited June 2013