“My 2 year old walked in the room and cried.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelers Inn

Travelers Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elizabethton
Lexington, Kentucky
“My 2 year old walked in the room and cried.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

We were visiting relatives in Elizabethton and decided to stay in this hotel because it was closer to their house. (Last time we went we stayed in Johnson City) We walked in and the room smelled awful. The beds were extremely uncomfy and it was like the bed was too big for the frame. If you sat on the side of the mattress it bent down and you about fell on the floor. The fridge leaked like crazy. The bathroom fixtures were coming out of the wall and there was some mold. It was not clean. Their hot breakfast was coffee and cereal. They did have a waffle maker but there was no mix to put in it. This place was awful. We were supposed to stay 3 nights but we left after the first night. We did get our money back for the nights we didn't stay. We stayed at the Best Western in Johnson City for less money then this hotel and the Best Western was amazing.
My daughter hated this place. There was nothing for her to do at all. The room wasn't even big enough for her to run around in and play.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank amello9667

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

I have family in Elizabethton and I visit about 3 times a year. I prefer sleeping on the couch when I stay with them but when I have a friend with me we'll stay 3 or 4 blocks away at the Travelers Inn. We've been doing this sinse it was The Days Inn - when it used to be a fairly decent place to lay your head. Those days are long gone.

Things have just gotten worse with each stay. Last year at Christmas I had the same room I had this year at Christmas. Last year I saw that the lampshade next to the mirror over the desk was cracked and big pieces were missing. They've had a year to replace that lampshade and it's _still_ cracked and more big chunks are missing. Were they too busy to go down to Wal*Mart around the corner and buy a $4 lamp shade?

In the past I've overlooked the scratchy towels, the flat pillows, the rusty refrigerator and the drunk rednecks fighting in the parking lot outside my room at 3 am because I figured I'm only there for a couple of nights and I am literally only there to sleep and shower. It's also very convenient to get to the family and there is only one other equally crappy place to stay in town (Americourt) but it's out on the highway.

But I will never stay at the Travelers Inn again.

This time I noticed (in addition to everything mentioned above) spots on the sheets that were very, very thin, almost transparent in odd places on the sheet and I couldn't figure out how that happened. I went to get ice from the rusting, ancient ice maker and saw that the rusting, ancient vending machine was completely empty except for 2 items (pretzels and cheese crackers). I saw the rusting, ancient washer and drier was out of order. When I tried to shower I noticed the water wasn't draining and I stood in water up to my ankles. I noticed the popcorn ceiling disintergrating in places. I saw the weatherstripping had worn away or fallen off around the door to the room, letting in cold air. I noticed the fire emergency information was in a plastic page protector sleeve scotch-taped to the door. I just saw too much neglect!

I didn't expect a 5 star luxury experience, I just wanted a clean, well maintained room to call my own for a few hours a day.

Do yourselves a favor - skip this horror show and stay somewhere in Johnson City even if your business is in Elizabethton.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Dgtl1

Travelers are raving about these Elizabethton hotels

ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

We stayed in march of 2009 for the bristol race..nothing worked microwave was broken fridge froze all our food we could not turn down the temperature as the temperature know was broken off.
sinks leaked on the floor as there were holes in the pipes. wen we complained at the desk (all three days we stayed) the owner said "oh well there is nothing that he could do his exact words were "If you dont like it dont come back.. the second day we were there, we knew we were in trouble when we witnessed many guests that were lined up in the lobby to complaine and then a sign went up in the lobby that read "no refunds"
real nice after taking almost $600 for a three night stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank bristolbound
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

We arrived and everything seemed fine, then i went to microwave something and the microwave didn't work. No big deal. I told the lady at the front desk and she said the maintainace man was not in but it will be taken care of the next day. Never did. We went to walmart and bought pop, water etc. Things that you put in a fridge. Well we did and woke up and everything was frozen. The fridge was turned up all the way and the adjustment knob was broke off...So we took things out and put them on ice. Told the front desk. Promised to fix the problem never did. Our last night there we realized that the sink had a hole in the pipe and leaked everywhere including all over my 700 dollar laptop. We told the owner of this foul establishment and all he wanted to do was argue with how none of the amenties that were broke were not listed as available. I would not recommend my worst enemy to this place. As you can see the "new owners" are doing a real good job. Go to another hotel down the road.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank adelmangurl
Midlothian
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

i have stayed at a few questionable motels in my life, but this one was the worst. unfortunately we checked in, but did not check the room immediately because we had family that we were going to dinner with. i will never make that mistake again.

at first glance, the room was clean, but then i pulled back the covers on the bed. not only were the sheets so thin you could see through them, there were multiple cigarette holes. and the worst thing was there was blood on one of the pillows. not the case, but the pillow itself. so someone had put a clean pillowcase on the contaminated pillow!!! and there was hair on the pillows and in the bed. the bathroom was clean, but that's was about it.

so we complained and they switched us to another room, but after looking, there was also hair in the bed and the shower curtain was so moldy it was gross!!!

they would not give us a room refund becuase we had checked in earlier in the day.

we asked for clean sheets and we changed them ourselves. and to tell you what kind of neighborhood it is in, the lady at the desk talked to us through a hole in a window with a small opening to pass through papers and credit cards!!! so what is wrong with tis picture.. do not stay here under any circumstances.

there is a better hotel near there called americourt. stay there. run away screaming from the travelers inn................

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything blood and hair in the bed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank babydux2
Boone, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

Me and my family stayed here over the 4th of july weekend, and we had a wonderful time. The pool was nice and clean, and the staff was helpful and friendly. They had one of the best complimentary breakfast bars that we have seen anywhere. I would recommend them to anyone with kids traveling through the area.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — traffic
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank megantissokool
West Tennessee1558
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

The hotel is one of two in town.

Yuck. The room smelled bad. The place is shabby. We went out a purchased Febreeze candles and Febreeze to spray on the carpet, which helped a great deal.

The cold water faucet in the shower was actually hot and the hot water faucet was actually cold.

The toliet seat was cracked in the middle. Yuck.

If we had not already paid, no refunds, we would have driven back to Johnson City --about 15 miles to stay at a nice clean Hampton Inn.

We do not recommend this hotel unless you are desperate!

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank TravelingMom1558
travelersinn37643, Manager at Travelers Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2008
I'm really sorry that you had a bad stay back in March. After reading your review (and a few others), I felt that I should let everybody know that our hotel has undergone some major changes since these problems occured. We are under new management (as of June of 2008). Our front desk staff is entirely new, as are most of our housekeepers, and we have the bug problem under control. This is a very old hotel and some problems are unavoidable, however I think that anybody that has had a bad experience with us in the past will be pleasantly surprised if they come visit us now.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethton
Americourt Hotel
Red Roof Inn Johnson City
Red Roof Inn Johnson City
#8 of 19 in Johnson City
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johnson City

Been to Travelers Inn? Share your experiences!