“Pretty good, but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cookie Jar

The Cookie Jar
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Dunlap
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chattanooga, TN
“Pretty good, but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family went to the Cookie Jar for the first time today (we live about 30 minutes away). It seemed like a good little afternoon trip. We arrived around 11:15 Central which was good because it was PACKED by the time we left. The food was a little slow getting to us, but not horrible. I had the baked chicken (Tuesday's special). It was unusual because it was a boneless skinless chicken breast coated in Ritz crackers and baked. So, the bottom was really soggy. It was a really strange preparation. I also had the hashbrown casserole, which was fairly good (not Cracker Barrel, but good). I also had the Mexican Cornbread Casserole. It was really dry compared to others I have had. My husband also had the chicken, but he had a salad (which looked pretty fresh, but mainly iceberg lettuce), fried okra (which he really liked), and french fries (which were coated in something...again...a very unusual preparation). One of my kids had grilled cheese with french fries and the other had chicken fingers with french fries. Neither of my kids ate their fries (because they were so odd), but they both ate all of their entrees. The cornbread was dry, but the yeast rolls were DELICIOUS.

For dessert my husband and I split a chocolate torte (which was pretty good) and a strawberry cupcake (which was obviously a mix). One of my daughters had a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing. Again, it was obviously out of a box, but still fairly tasty.

If I returned, I wouldn't bother with dessert, I would have the hashbrown casserole again, and I would only order one kid's meal for my kids to share (and it would be the chicken tenders which were VERY fresh and hand breaded...DELICIOUS). I would guess that my husband would have the okra again, because he really liked it.

This is a great place for retired folks to go. Also, my kids REALLY enjoyed the petting zoo out back which was free and they said it is available all summer.

• Visited July 2013

Dunlap
“Best country cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

As the name suggests, first there are so many cookie yars. Then the menu comes and it is really hard to choose your favorite. Then come dessert and they are all homemade and just take your breath away

Visited September 2012
“A GREAT DISAPPOINTMENI”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I first heard of the Cookie Jar Cafe restaurant on Tennessee Crossroads tv segment and it looked like a really great place to get really great food.
I have lived here in Tennessee for over 50 years and had not heard of it prior to the show although I live only 75 miles from Dunlap.
So this past two weeks camping in the Falls Creek Falls State Park at Pikeville, we decided to drive the 30 miles or so to eat lunch at the Cookie Jar.
Beautiful little country farm and perched atop a hill overlooking the mountains and meadows sat the Cookie Jar!
I ordered chicken livers, creamed corn and pintos, fried okra, devil end eggs (nothing in the filling) ($9.00 I Think) and My husband ordered Ribeye Steak, baked potato and tossed salad ($15,95)
The chicken livers were grease soaked, the corn was out of a can (no seasoning) and in all of my 74 years I have never tasted a worse pinto bean!! No seasoning, minute amount of soup and tasteless! The okra was just frozen and poorly deep fat fried.
Now for that Ribeye!! It was a greasy mess and mostly fat! By the time he trimmed off the fat there was not much meat left! The salad they brought out was a few pieces of yellowed lettuce (the part of the lettuce I throw away) two cherry tomatoes and a glob of French dressing!!
As for that baked potato, he couldn't dig it out of the peel it was so hard.
I did have banana pudding made with cook whip that they called a banana torte. It was fair.
Now I believe in giving any restaurant a second chance because anyone can have a bad day, new cook or etc so we went back a few days later.
This time I ordered chicken and dumplins, the pintos again, potato salad and turnip greens.
Husband ordered the Hamburger Steak, corn, potato salad.
The Dumplings had about 5 or so strings of chicken, mostly soup and a few dumplings.
Pintos were the same as before, either canned or cooked with no seasoning meat, potato salad was just potatoes with an over abundance of mayo.
Rolls were ok as was the cornbread.
Butterscotch and coconut pie were substandard.
Cupcakes were just the usual kind with too much frosting. I had Chocolate and Strawberry.
I did notice your Trip Advisor Approved sticker on the window and was surprised after my two experiences there.

As for us, we will stick to Miller's Grocery at Christiana, Tn.
I would not recommend the Cookie Jar Cafe as a good restaurant with good Southern Cooking.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank Genie1939
North Georgia
“Truly Outstanding Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The grilled meatloaf is absolutely wonderful. All desserts are made inhouse and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

• Visited March 2013
Nashville
“Quaint Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was a very nice place to eat!! The staff were friendly and you just have to try their beautiful cupcakes and pies!!! I did try a piece of the pie and it was WONDERFUL!!!! It's a bit out of the way but you won't be disappointed. The setting is very rustic but for me that was a pleasure. Try it and I bet you will have to visit again and again!

• Visited January 2013

Been to The Cookie Jar? Share your experiences!