“Very Fun Day”

Wildwater Rafting - Ocoee
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Ducktown
More attraction details
Owner description: Family owned and operated since 1971, closest to both the Upper and Middle Ocoee launch sites=short shuttle times and more trip times to choose from. Restaurant on site, hot showers, clean changing rooms, wet suits available for rent. All equipment included:paddling jackets, PFD, paddle, helmet. Individual to group rates, seasonal discounts.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We went on a two family vacation to Blue Ridge and Ocoee River rafting. After a lot of research, we decided on Wildwater. Glad we picked this place.
We chose the weekend combo, both Upper and Middle Ocoee.
Location was very easy to find along the road. Parking OK. Check-in was simple, with a few forms to fill out.
Safety talk and gear outfitting went smoothly and the bus ride was short to the put in area.

Boats only hold 6 people + guide, so we had to split into 2 separate rafts since we had 8 people (4+4). We looked all over. No outfitter on Ocoee has 8 person rafts.

The Upper Ocoee is only run on weekends from 9-5. Other times, the dam is closed and the rivier is a small weak stream. On our day, they were a little delayed releasing the water from the dam, so we had to wait a while for the river to fill and move. This made our first section about an hour longer than normal, according to our guide. Upper Ocoee is a little simple until you get to the 1996 Olympic whitewater course. This was a blast!! Rapid after rapid and a couple of huge waves. We were soaked!!

We stopped for a quick snack and restroom break. Then had to remove our rafts and carry them down to the Middle Ocoee for the second leg. The Middle Ocoee is available all week from 9-5. Middle Ocoee has some great rapids. Several double hits, more than I experienced on the New River in WV. Also much more closely spaced than New River in WV. Very FUN!!! I even got an unplanned swim!!

Our trip for both upper and middle took almost 6 hours total (8:30-2:30). The upper was at least an hour longer than normal, so I would plan for 5 hours.

Our guides were very professional, very safe, took very good care of us and were very nice.

My only negative comment is that, after rafting several times before, I'd have to say that the guides weren't as much fun as other guides I've had. No high fiving with the paddles after a good run on a rapid. No 'riding the bull' on the last rapid (as we saw other outfitters doing). No surfing on the hydraulics (although I think this might have been because we were behind schedule due to late dam release, see above). Not a lot of personality in our boat. Our other boat group said basically the same thing. That's why Wildwater gets a 4 instead of a 5 rating.

Ride back to Wildwater HQ was seamless and quick. They have what appears to be a brand new or recently refurbed shower house. Clean. Nice. Decent size. Showers work. Everything you want in a locker room.

They provide a meal either before or after you trip. Our meal after the trip. We were very hungry after the day, so we were glad to get a late lunch. The meal consisted of BBQ pork on a bun. Not great TN BBQ, but definitely good.

All-in-all, this was a great day. Got to see beautiful Ocoee river valley, go through Olympic WW course, hit some great rapids and spend time with family and friends. Would definitely do it again and probably go back to Wildwater again.

All reviews
"great fun"
in 22 reviews
"the entire trip"
in 10 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 9 reviews
"awesome experience"
"combo trip"
in 10 reviews
"an excellent guide"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My first time rafting with two experienced friends,we had a great time with KC on the Combo Rafting trip- choose the later time for a more relaxed and adventurous time!!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had planned a rafting trip for my fiancé's birthday! We had an excellent time! The staff was beyond incredible and I will always recommend Wildwater Ltd. Rafting Ocoee!! Our Guide was Ty and he was awesome! Definitely had a blast and my fiancé loved it. We will most definitely be back SOON!!!! THANKS GUYS!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my first experience on the Ocoee River and I don't think I could have asked for a better introduction to the fun that whitewater rafting entails than what I experienced yesterday with Wildwater. Everything in their operation was first-class ... from the cleanliness of the facility, to the professionalism of the hospitality and restaurant staff, to the safety instructor and river staff. And last but most certainly not least ... our guide, Grant, was very knowledgeable and made sure that we had an unforgettable trip. Watching the other rafters on the river, I knew that the experience and fun that Grant provided our group of six was above and beyond the norm. Thanks Grant! And thanks Wildwater! I'll be back soon.