“Super 8 Not So Super” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Crossville
Greeneville
“Super 8 Not So Super”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

Our baseball team booked the Super 8 for our stay for the state tournament. The lady that checked us in was very aloof and at times rude. The rooms smelled so badly of smoke that we had to go and buy candles and fabric freshner. There were no coffee pots in the rooms although they were advertised to have them. Another problem was that there was only one luggage cart...this poses a problem when you have all those guests and one luggage cart. One of the other families in our group had to call the desk on their first night because when they pulled their covers back to go to bed...one bed had hair all in it and the other had blood on the sheets and one of the pillows...it was evident that the linens had not been changed. Another guest in our group had to call the desk about his toilet...it would not flush, fill, etc. There was a young Indian man that came to look at it...he went in and flushed the toilet...of course it worked fine since he was there. He came out into the hall where everyone was and said "What's the problem?" in a very rude way. The housekeeping crew would turn off the air in the rooms and the hallway during the day. In addition, the pool was very small.

Drumroll please....regardless of how many people were in a room, each room was alloted 3 bath towels, 3 washclothes, and 3 hand towels. Now, I don't know about you but I am not using a washcloth and towel that someone else has used. When a family of four called down to the desk to ask for 1 extra towel and washcloth so that they each had one to use...the front desk clerk told them that they would have to call back down first thing in the morning. (Keep in mind that there was not an overnight laundry crew).

To sum it up...we don't ever plan to stay in a Super 8 again...we usually book at least 10 rooms for 2 nights...There are plenty of nice, clean hotels out there at about the same rate. Seriously there are. We stay in hotels just about every other week and this is the worst experience we have had.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank bwagner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2007

After a long trip on the road with the kids, we absolutely needed a good night's sleep. We stayed at many hotels throughout the trip but I felt we had the best stay (especially for the price) at the Super 8 in Crossville, TN. The price was affordable and the location was great. The property is new, so the rooms were very clean. The staff was very friendly. The kids loved the fresh waffles in the morning. I recommend this place. We'll most definitely be back for our next trip!

• Liked — the quality especially for the price
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank nykrule
crossvillemotel, Manager at Super 8 Crossville TN, responded to this review, June 6, 2010

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 9317077660.

Anna Patel
Genral Manager
super8 motel
Elyria, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2005

We needed a room in the Crossville, Tennessee, area during the first weekend of August, 2005. This coincides with the Route 127 yard sale held sometime in August of each year, and that fact brought out the true colors of this motel. I made this reservation about 7 weeks early. I asked if any discount was available, such as AAA or anything we might qualify for. I was told that there are to be no discounts of any kind during that weekend and that they intended to charge the maximum of $135.00 per night. She gave me a confirmation number but sounded confused, and I thought we'd be lucky if we actually had a reservation at all. Mind you, I called every possible hotel I could find in the area, plus some bed & breakfasts and cabin-type accomodations, and no one had a room. Rather than sleep in our car, we booked this room. I later called back, thinking maybe if I checked again with a different clerk, there would be a possible rate discount, but no. I couldn't believe their attitude. It was clear that money is their prime motivation at the expense of ever having anyone return again. Also, I asked if they would e-mail a confirmation and they said they don't have much internet access and really don't do that. When we checked in, the girl at the desk (the only desk employee who seemed not related to the foreign manager family) was almost smug--just too gleeful about running a $135 charge onto each guest's credit card, or whatever. Plus, you know what? They have an incredibly high tax rate there, which added almost $20 to the bill. When I commented how high that was, she proudly announced they have no income tax there. Well, too bad. Upon checkout, another man was arguing with them about price gouging, and he looked over and said, "They're almost happy about it; they just smile while they're taking all your money." The rooms are nothing special, make no mistake about that. The real killer is that if you left to hit a local restaurant or fast food place, you got to turn off the main road right at the giant billboard with an arrow pointing to the Super 8 that said "$49.95 and up." Yeah, way up! The thing is, because of their attitude and refusal to offer even the slightest (even 10%) discount, we will not only never stay there again, but I will do my absolute best never to stay in any Super 8 again. Right next door was a Comfort Suites--how it is on the inside, who knows, but try anywhere else but this place.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank impala
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

Stayed at this Super 8 one night while passing through Crossville. Hotel was advertised enthusiastically (via billboards and on the 1-800 Super 8 number) as being a new property. Was evidently built only in 2003, so I expected a nice clean room. We checked in, requesting a nonsmoking room on the first floor to make packing and unpacking easier. Within 5 minutes of my son getting down on the floor with his trains, his feet and legs were black. I called the front desk and reported this problem, intending to request a different room. Before I could ask for another room, the clerk told me that she couldn't give me another room on the first floor, that they were ALL this way. She said the rooms had been in use so much that they had not had time to clean the carpets in a few months. The level of filth in that carpet was more than a few months' worth, I firmly believe. Anyway, she was no help and said there was no manager for me to speak with (manager only on duty from 7am-3pm) and that she was not authorized to make a rate change or really do anything at all to address the situation. After I got off the phone with her, I called around and found a Holiday Inn Express nearby with a room available for about what we were paying at the Super 8 (which was $70/night, by the way, which is not exactly a budget motel in my opinion and should maintain higher standards). So we packed up the car and the kids and I went down to the desk (with my black-feeted son in arms as exhibit A) to give her the keys. I showed her his feet and told her we were going elsewhere. At that point she goes in the back and calls the manager. A young Indian woman came down (lives in the hotel with her parents, I think), I gave her the story, and she said that the room was dirty because a softball team had stayed there the previous weekend (once again, that level of filth could not be due to one weekend....). She said there were other rooms on the 3rd floor that were little used and clean. I was still trying to leave since my husband and kids were waiting out front in the packed-up car, but she talked me into looking at one of the rooms on the 3rd floor. Long story short, we ended up staying in one of those rooms which were most definitely cleaner but not immaculate. Also, there was no drain stopper in the bathtub and the hair dryer didn't work. My main problem with this place was that they evidently rent the 1st floor rooms out all the time and never rotate usage to other floors so the 1st floor rooms are filthy while other rooms in the hotel are barely used. The desk clerk never told me there were other nonsmoking rooms in the motel we could move to, she evidently thought our request for a 1st floor room was paramount. This was a misunderstanding, but she could have at least mentioned the other rooms and let us make the decision. We went to all the trouble of packing up the car, only to unpack it again when the manager got involved. Also, if there is not going to be a manager available in the evenings, the desk clerk needs to be given more power to work with the customers to make sure they are happy. This clerk appeared totally powerless and the only way we got satisfaction was to pack up and threaten to leave. The manager gave us $10 off our room, which was insufficient I think to make up for all this trouble. I simply expect a clean room and good service at a $70/night motel. I called the 1-800 Super 8 customer service number and filed a complaint about all this as well. The upshot is - if you stay here be aware that the 1st floor is filthy and there are clean(er) rooms on the 3rd. For a brand new hotel, this seems ridiculous, though, and I think the place has been mis-managed.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank M_n_K
Knoxville, Tn.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2005

We just recently stayed at the Super 8 Motel in Crossville, Tn. When we checked in at night the lady at the front desk was helpful and polite. The room was not deluxe but I didn't expect it to be. When we requested an hour later check-out time the next morning the Indian man at the front desk grudgingly agreed and told me if I was not out by noon we would pay. I agreed and was very polite. He rudely stated several times that I would have to pay if any later. I agreed. The info in the room had stated a late check out could be arranged at no problem. I was only asking for an extra hour. He was surly and rude. I continued to be polite and thanked him explaining my child had been up all night feeling sick. He showed no sympathy, just kept repeating that I would pay if we left a minute after noon (the regular check-out time was 11 AM). The breakfast bar was closed before they had advertised and there were no coffee makers in the rooms as advertised. I went down with one load of luggage at 11:45 and he rudely reiterated about the money to be paid if I was late. I politely inquired if there was a buggy cart to whichk he said they only had one, he did not know where it was and I needed to go to the different floors and look for it. When I came back to my room (minus the cart I could not locate) my key did not work and I could not get back into my room to retrieve the rest of my belongings. A very nice clean up crew, lead by an Indian woman opened the door for me and said he must have cut off my key. They also looked for the cart and were very helpful and apologetic. When I finally went down at noon I asked the rude man if there was anything else I had to do to check out...he rudely shook his head and when I said, "Thak you"...he only grunted. He was obviously only interested in making $$$ and not in customer service. If this is the owner I would surely not want this Super 8 to be included in their chain. I will not be going to Super 8 any more and will inform friends to steer clear. It certainly does not deserve a 2 rating under this manager and they should offer what they promise. The man definitely could use some hotel manners classes or whatever is offered. So, you've seen the last of me and my family.

11 Thank Nakanawa
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2004

Highly recommend. Clean, everything working and attractive. Up to date everywhere. Good price. Very nice management. Pet friendly. I will stay here again

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2004

Excellent property, fairly new! Room size was nice! Clean, clean, clean!!! Absolutely no complaints, would definetely return again in the future!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member