“Authentic Southern Vegetables in a Unique Property”

Erwin's Great Steaks
Ranked #8 of 43 Restaurants in Covington
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This place is a real experience. The building has been in the owners family for generations, is in the country and has art from all over the world hanging on the walls. Herbs are growing right out the front door. The owner is the host and is approachable for questions and grows all of his own vegetables and you can tell by the taste. The meat is cooked on a wood fired grill - ask to see it. My Mother and I dined there and both had vegetable plates - as many of the vegetables on the menu as you want and they were delicious. I had green beans, yellow squash, mashed potatoes with caramelized onions, tomato slaw, fresh sliced tomatoes, black eyed peas, broccoli casserole. I can't speak for the steaks, but you can get a good steak many places. I know of no place in the country you can get vegetables like these, in a setting like this. If you are in the area, it is worth a visit. Service was excellent. My mother couldn't decide on the vegetable plate or spaghetti with vegetables, so the waitress just added in a small plate of spaghetti to the vegetable plate with a smile, just like you were at her house.

1  Thank Bruce G

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Finally found this place and...the waitress was excellent, The salad, homemade dressing, and rolls were great. Worst Steak (paper thin) and Catfish (salty) and veggies (salty). Also, the man who took our payment (owner? was rude when told the food was not what was expected. Rude!!! If, for no other reason (and there were plenty) because of him we would NEVER go there again! And we will spread the word,

4  Thank Jbuckingham
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Be sure to check out there hours. They are only open a few days a week, but the food is AWESOME!!! Everything is pit roasted. Most veggies on the menu are home grown.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Several years ago my mother ( who is diabetic) visited Erwins.....we waited over an hour and a half for our food.....the young waitress was so busy chatting with the locals she knew she completly forgot to turn in our order.....buy the time our food arrived my mother was shaking and lightheaded....waitress was not concerned in the least...offered no apoigies... we vowed never to come back. fast forward to this evening......we decied to try again as the dining selection in Covington is limited. We arived at 7pm....optimistic since we were greeted quickly,,,and the resturant did not seem busy....7:08....waitress took our drink order....7:20... she finially came back to take our order......sooo we wait, and wait....and wait. 8:00 we get up to leave ( again my diabetic mother is starting to get shakey) waitress runs up and says our food is ready. We sit back down and eat our food....but by this time im pretty angry.....not really wanting to eat..just to leave. we eat in about 15 min and go to pay. I told the manager (guy sitting behind the register) food was good but took entirely to long to get to us...he informed me that they DID NOT use a microwave so it took a while to prepare.....told him i understood but 40 min was STILL to long to wait with a diabetic in tow...and we WILL NOT be back...... Sorry Erwins...once again i cross you OFF my list!!!

4  Thank julia b
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This nice, sit down family owned restaurant has great service and food! It's great, down home food without anything fried. Erwin's sits in the middle of fields and hills away from city traffic. It's known for it's steaks, sides, and pies. They open at 5 PM on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays; closing at 9 PM on Thursday and 9:30 PM on Friday and Saturday nights. It's a bit of a drive, but so nice in getting away from everything!

1  Thank Hope968