“Deep South Sweet Tea”
Review of Abbay's

Abbay's
Ranked #60 of 153 Restaurants in Cordova
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife buys the tea by the gallon frequently. If you like it very sweet, then you have found a stable source at a reasonable price. Abbay's is above average, good country fare with a good selection of entree and side items. Unfortunately I think the meals are overpriced, but the place is always crowded when I am there so mine must be a minority opinion. Your bill will average $10 per person and I think this is too much for a place where you order and pick up your food at the counter.

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Supposedly home cooked food that is all canned. It doesn't taste good even for canned food. We had country fried steak, chicken and dressing, two orders of fried okra, mashed potatoes, Lima beans and cornbread. Plus two iced teas. All of it just canned and not worth eating. In the Memphis area and want home cooking go to the Silver Caboose on the town square in Collierville. And value? That bad meal for two was $18.31. Definitely not worth it!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We tried Abbay's when we wanted something not too expensive, but not burgers and fries. We both ordered the chicken fried steak although the counter help suggested the fried chicken. The chicken fried steak was small but fairly tasty. Next time I will try the fried chicken. We liked the vegetables. I had mashed potatoes which were a little too smooth to be " real" but had some lumps and skins so I really don't know. I liked the fried okra. My husband had sweet potato casserole, turnip greens and black eyed peas, and he thought they were very good. The portion of meat was small, but the helpings of vegetables were larger than some we have had at other family-type restaurants. This seems to be a good alternative to the usual fast food. It IS fast. There seemed to be a thriving drive-thru line, so it may be popular for busy parents who want something more healthful for dinner. We thought the prices were reasonable: $5.50 for a meat and one, $6.60 for a meat and two. We will go back when we are in the area. We don't live in Cordova, so I wish there was an Abbay's nearer to us in the southern part of the county.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I ordered baked chicken and fried potatoes. Chicken was tough and dry. Potatoes were circular disc that had been deep fried like French fries. Husband ordered chicken fried steak, corn and mashed potatoes. I swear the chicken fried steak looked like school cafeteria. The corn was creamed corn out of a can (can't disguise that taste) potatoes were fake. Roll was pretty good. Best part of meal was coke from fountain. Tasted like Sonic coke. Wish I had eaten something else. Service was good and friendly.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We just ate at Abbay's for the first time. Honestly, from all the reviews comparing them to Cracker Barrell, I'm rather confused. The service was fast and friendly, but the food made us sick to our stomachs. We ordered a gallon of sweet tea, which, when we got home, turned out to be unsweetened. The corn bread tasted like pure sugar. The chicken fried steak was heated from frozen. The gravy was loaded with salt. The broccoli rice casserole was cold and had no salt or flavor. The fried potatoes had zero salt or seasoning. Honestly, it was all just gross. All three of us couldn't eat it. I keep seeing all these great reviews, so maybe we will try again someday. I just don't get it.

Been to Abbay's? Share your experiences!