“May be really good, but I may never know!”
Review of Cafe Fontana - CLOSED

Cafe Fontana
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Town Centre CL
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Almost hate to post this. I'm all for a non-chain restaurant off the beaten path, especially here in Cordova, a suburban part of Memphis where almost all other dining options are chains. However, based on last night (Tuesday 9/4) I'm not confident. More like an episode of "Restaurant Impossible." Robert Irvine would have a field day with these folks. Was highly encouraged by their online website, menu, reputation so far, and the al fresco patio option in front of the restaurant. We went specifically for the patio dining. Patio seemed full and bustling when we arrived but I could see a vacant table. Host told us there was a wine tasting in progress and that there wouldn't be a patio table for quite a while. Nothing about the one vacant two-top we could see. (Nothing at all on their website about the wine tasting; we might have chosen another night!) My wife asked host why they weren't using the other patio @ the side of building. Host looked at my wife, as she put it, "like she had three heads." This guy actually didn't know there was an outdoor deck area on the side of the building...We knew because we used to eat out there when the building was still "Fresh Slices." Heck, this place isn't that large; it's a converted old house! He did offer to seat us in a sunroom; but by this time it became obvious that the wine-tasting bunch would be the focus of the service, and ours would likely suffer for it. I even drove past the patio as we were leaving to eat elsewhere...that vacant table was still sitting there. Likely a $40-$50 tab they missed, not making a better effort to accommodate us. I hear the food is good, but short of the owner reaching out to me and trying to make this right, we won't be back, and it's less than a mile away from home. I look forward to them closing the place and the location being sold to someone who might care about the customer's business.

1  Thank geno722
There are newer reviews for Cafe Fontana

Reviewed August 20, 2013

A unique experience, located in old Cordova and housed in an old remodeled house. The interior is large with the dining area split in numerous rooms. The only negatives were the dining chairs were not comfortable and we thought that with the upscale menu and prices that table cloths should be the norm. The patio dining is a delight. Comfortable furniture in a manicured setting around a large fountain makes outdoor dining a pleasure. The food is indeed unique in itself with the Shrimp and cheese grits infused with sausage, onions and peppers, quite tasty. The Grouper was heavily breaded but the thickness of the filet helped offset the extra breading. The vinaigrette dressing was a little bland and did not add to the otherwise great salad. Service was great and our server was very knowledgeable and helpful on menu questions. The wine list was small but the prices were very reasonable and they did offer a variety of grapes.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Im writing this after my 3rd trip to this premier Italian cafe. I always give a place a couple of visits before recomending it to others. As an Italian food lover and one who frequents DC and NY City I can say without hesitation this is the best TRUE Italian food south of the mason dixon line. good service, nice wine selection, fairly priced.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a wonderful brunch. The dinner menu looks wonderful. We can't wait to go back and try the Italian cuisine

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I actually went to eat here thinking it was another restaurant. But it had closed and Cafe Fontana had opened. We ate outside for lunch. The menu was small but that's okay. The restaurant is good at what they do. We had an appetizer and shared an entree. Not really sure if this is a good place for small kids but was a fun date for two.