“Worst Motel Ever!!”
Review of Star Motor Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cookeville
Star Motor Inn
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Cookeville
Dallas
“Worst Motel Ever!!”
Reviewed February 4, 2009

This place is the biggest dump I have ever stayed in. The walls were stained, the room reeked of chemicals, it had exposed plumbing, I could feel the springs in the mattress, and I had to kill BUGS in the room (and in my BED). It was very dirty. I spent about $40 for one night, and this place was not worth $40...I should have gotten my money back!

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank TTTDallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Memphis, TN
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Two words: deferred maintenance.

Stayed here two different nights in two different rooms. Rotting baseboards in bathroom, exposed plumbing. I expect a toilet to have a lid--that is not too much to ask. Everything very dingy; walls and ceilings in poor repair and dirty.

(Hoteliers: do not install high gloss woodgrain floor tile in your bathrooms even if you got a good deal on it at the surplus auction. It is dangerous to have bathroom floors that are slicker than wet ice.)

This establishment encourages guests with pets as a matter of policy. If you do not want to hear dogs barking through the walls then this is not the place for you.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Still_Stymied

Travelers are raving about these Cookeville hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Can't say that I expected much, but for the price and the fact that this family run interstate-side motel is American owned I figured what the heck? Quick check in, room under $40 (which is unheard of these days), had a greasy little country restaurant serving breakfast but not horrible either. Like I said, I didn't expect much, but the room was more than adequate and nicely decorated. The whole place felt like the guest bedroom of a older relative, if that makes any sense. Nothing was perfect and nothing was great, but this place was a good deal for the money.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Oldness
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 22, 2005

We moved to Cookeville a few monthes ago and needed somewhere to stay while our home was being finished. We found the Star Motor Inn and were blown away by the rooms. We've stayed at hotels costing 3 times more with rooms not any better than the room we had at the Star. The owner was nice and friendly, The staff was great too. If you are ever in Cookeville, I suggest the Star Motor Inn.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 30, 2004

This is a great small hotel. I read the last review and was appalled at the horrible things said about this hotel. My company has been using the Star Motor Inn for several years, and never have we been better treated and received a better value for our road construction company crews.
We have stayed over 1250 room nights here, and never has any member of our management team, nor crew, ever complained about one thing. No bugs, no major problems of anykind. The way I understand the area, everyone is having a serious problem with Meth, but none more so than Alpine Lodge. That hotel is so far out of the way and inconvenient to town, that druggies and people of suspious natures prefer it over all other hotels in the cookeville area because of no police presence.
The owner of the Star has been a great friend to our company and our staff, and has always corrected each problem in a very timely manner. It sounds to me as if the last reviewer tried to get something for nothing and failed. It is sad when companies try to prey on small businesses to reduce their operating costs, especially when someone like the Star offers the best rates and respective product in the city.

5 Thank kellykreaseonline
Sevierville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 24, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Star Motor Inn on September 25th on our way to get married in Gatlinburg. We stayed there based on the advice of 2 previous reviews, and what a dissapointment!

The carpet was clean, but in need of replacement in a bad way. The jacuzzi tub that we so desperately wanted after driving all afternoon turned out to leak slowly, enough that you had to really watch when you had the jets on so that it didn't get too low and spray water all over the bathroom. The mattress and pillows were VERY firm, too firm for us to really get a good night's sleep on. I had a sore neck (which caused a slight headache) for most of the next morning until I could rub it out.

Overall, I don't think I'd recommend staying here. I'm sure there are other places in town worth checking out.

2 Thank Deneen1967
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 26, 2004

I am in tennessee under contract and the Star Motor Inn was my first choice due to price.
However in paying less I have had to put up with many things here.
First, Roaches, and other bugs.
2nd, Nothing works right. from the AC Units, to the Bath Tub, the fridge freezes anything in it, including soft drinks.

Worse the managment are very rude, not helpful or willing to assist in making things right, even under a long term rental.

Another problem at the star is drugs, there are many people who stay here that do meth, this is a growing problem and I simply can not be around that, I would not suggest for anyone else to either.

Hope this is helpful, as my next choice, I would pick the Alpine Lodge, its only $3 more expensive, and have very nice rooms.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business