“Italian Slophouse”

The Gondola Pizza House
Ranked #35 of 176 Restaurants in Cookeville
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Family-owned pizza, pasta and more...also referred to as The Original Gondola at Cookeville....on Facebook as The Gondola Pizza House...some of the best pizza I have had and very friendly owner.
Reviewed November 28, 2012

One restaurant you want to avoid in Cookeville is this place. I first went there in 2008 when I was on a business trip here in Cookeville. We went there largely because it was next to the hotel and as soon as I walked inside I knew it was going to be substandard. Think of an old Shoneys and you are at the Gondola. The restaurant itself is in a bit of disrepair, booths sink and the silverware us USED, well USED. Food was OK but I did get a bit concerned about the food quality when I asked for the Veal the waitress said they don't sell that much of it and it is old. Okay....hum why would she volunteer they keep food too long??? The bottom line for me is you could not pay me to eat there. Its just a slophouse and people who do not know better just think its good or OK but you can be sure you will be disappointed if you try it.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Gondola Pizza, service was very nice the young lady was very attentive, the pizza was OK but the bottom crust was a bit too thick for my liking but it was crisp which makes up for a lot. All in all a pleasant experience in a charming place across the street from our hotel.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went to Gondola, as the pizza had been highly recommended by friends. However, after seeing the Greek dishes on the menu, we went in that direction. My husband had the Gyro and liked it. I had pita appetizer with olive oil, garlic, feta and mozzarella as my lunch. It was like a cheesy Greek pizza, so good! We both had the homemade baklava for dessert, wow! We've been to Greece and this was one of the best we've eaten! They also offer spanacopeta, Greek salads, saginaki, etc. The Italian menu was extensive, prices good and service attentive.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The home made pizza was definitely worth the 20 min wait. No issues with that; waitress gave us the heads up. Chicken parm was delicious too. AAA+ food and service.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a pizza for an appetizer. They make them in a stone oven and it was very flavorful. I had the baked cheese ravioli and it arrived at the table piping hot and still bubbling from the stone oven. It was very tasty. I would order it every time. We also got the chicken parm which was also good. The place was clean and the food comes quick but the pizza is made to order so it takes about 20 minutes. Really enjoyable experience.