“Efficient service, fresh food, clean place, and accommodating staff”

El Tapatio Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 176 Restaurants in Cookeville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have gone to this restaurant for years on my visits to Tennessee. I saw that one guidebook described the service as "sudden" and that means that they are fast and efficient—particularly with regulars where your hot, thin, and crispy chips and fresh salsa and favourite drink will be on the table before your bum hits the chair. I find the prices incredibly reasonable and the staff and kitchen accommodating. It's a big place and many choose to have parties there so it can be a bit loud but I have never been to a Mexican restaurant that is not a happy and joyous place and this one is no exception.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the place for Mexican food in Cookeville. Food is consistently delicious, service is always great. Must try!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This place sucked. Only the chips and red/green salsa were good.

I ordered the #8 with beef taco, burrito and enchilada. It had little taste, no flair and made with cheap ingrediants. Others at my table had dishes of similar ilk. Zero flair, light on cheeses, heavy on beans and rice. The place was packed too...I just don't get it.

Apparently in Tennessee the burritos and enchiladas do not come with cheese, lettuce or sour cream. All I got was a cheap flour tortilla wrapped around finely textured hamburger and a dime sized plop of red salsa on each. The taco was like bad Taco Bell, same hamburger as above except for 7 tiny shaved morsels of a tasteless white cheese. Oh yeah, no lettuce on the taco either. I can't believe they would serve such plain-Jane dishes.

So far in 2013, this is the worst restaurant I have dined in. Run for the border fast.

2  Thank BigCityChicken
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Everythign here is AMAZING but you gotta get the cheese dip! The fajitas are out of this world! You will love watching the employees run around with as many plates as their arms can carry! It's not very expensive and you will be super glad you went!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This place was recommended by the hotel we stayed at. Service was great, but our meals were kinda bland. Not much seasoning or taste. Price was okay. Wish we would have went someplace else, but was right by the hotel.

1  Thank jdswick

Been to El Tapatio Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!