“Well worth the detour from Rt. 40!”

World Foods International Grocery and Delicatessen
Ranked #3 of 175 Restaurants in Cookeville
Cuisines: Pizza, International
Rockville, Maryland
“Well worth the detour from Rt. 40!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Cookeville has a zillion chains and many are close to the highway, but this little place is easy to get to and makes a great stop. It's an eclectic menu including pizza slices, deli sandwiches, and Middle eastern specialties including schwarma and tabouli. The beef schwarma was a huge hit! They also have unique grocery items - think canned smoked fish and a great olive oil selection - cold drinks and desserts. There are only 4 tables inside and 2 outside but it was quiet after the lunch rush and the owners were lovely to talk to. You can also spend a few minutes in the area of the old small-town center.

knoxville, tn
“Charming Deli!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Had the pleasure to visit this deli while in town. It has a quaint feel, almost as if you were in another country once inside the doors. My husband tried the meatball sub-it was sooo tasty & reasonable priced. Staff were friendly & welcoming. Will visit again for sure.

Valrico, Florida
“very unique - a must if you're in the area”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were lucky enough to stop by this charming restaurant this past weekend. It really is a unique place and if you are in the area you should give it a try. It was nice that there was several items for sale that you really can't find in a lot of places (lots of unique beers, drinks, desserts, pastas... you name it). My wife and I both had pizza slices, and she had Orangina and I had IBC root beer. We also were sure to save room for dessert which was great as well. We will definitely go back the next time we are in town.

Visited June 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Part of an eclectic block across from the depot”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I lived in Chicago for 30 years. This place reminded me of the ethnic neighborhoods and the jewels within. The place is literally smaller than my living room with perhaps 4 tables inside and a couple 2 seaters on the sidewalk out front. The walls and front case have many "store" items to choose from. For example, if you know what Halloumi cheese is you know what type of place this is. I was not fond of the cheese pizza or the cannoli. Although, the other pizzas are great. The heat is to hot so the pizza dough is crisp on the bottom, but not fully cooked. The canolli shell was dry, thick, and tasted Sabrina style which is not my favorite. Not to worry - I have been here several times and have sampled almost everything. This is a place I visit frequently and quite enjoy. Salads, pizza, gyro, rueben, & the like. I cannot quarrel with other reviews posted and actually fully endorse them. I believe WFI is closed Sunday & Monday. Definitely give this place a try.

Also on this block, which you can literally walk around in less than 5 minutes, is a Japanese place and an Indian place. I visit these places as well depending on time and what I am in the mood for.

Cookeville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bringing Culture to Cookeville”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The folks who own and manage this business are always so personable and helpful every time I step through the door. I live a hectic lifestyle and generally take my food to go - they go out of their way to provide my meal quickly, and it is always quality food. This business is one of the first on Cookeville"s Westside to bring much-needed culture to Cookeville and that trend is continuing with additional restaurants, pubs, art stores and antique shops popping up within a two-three block radius of World Foods over the past couple of years. They also have a great selection of teas, coffees, etc. to purchase as gifts. A unique, one-of-kind experience in Cookeville's old-town.

• Visited May 2013