“Okay with very friendly staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cookeville
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Cookeville
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Staff very friendly and helpful. Bed and linens were recently renovated. Chairs showed some wear - recliner stained . Bathroom small. Sink outside of bathroom. Good sink lighting. No safety bars in tub. Had an elongated open front toilet seat on a round toilet bowl that wasn't securely fastened. Bathroom door stuck. Room and bathroom were clean. Halls needed vacuuming. Very few healthy breakfast choices. Quiet. Okay place but not worth raves. Convenient. Pet friendly. Odd odor (pet?) in lobby.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in one of the two room suites at this hotel and were travelling with a pet. It was comfortable and clean. There was a little kitchenette with a fridge - microwave - coffeepot and a little counter to sit at. It worked out really well for us. Loved having the two rooms! And the breakfast was perfectly fine with ample choices.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

This was a very nice place to stay. A lot cleaner than some of the $100 hotels that I've stayed at. The pool being clean and a coffee pot in the room was a plus for me. My dislike was not having a refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We always look to stay at hotels that have good ratings on tripadvisor, with a room rate that is a good value compared to other hotels in the area. I checked hotwire, but nothing of interest was offered. We then checked the roadside coupon books, in which the Baymont had a coupon that offered a great rate. We selected it after seeing the good reviews on tripadvisor. We were very pleased with the hotel. It was very clean, the rooms were nice, and the hotel had a noon checkout time. We had a great night's sleep on the comfortable pillowtop mattresses. The breakfast was good, offering eggs, sausage, biscuits, toast, cereal, fresh fruit and yogurt. This hotel was similar to a Holiday Inn Express that we had stayed at the night before, but at a much lower rate. The only negative was that the pool wasn't open for the season yet even though it was Memorial
Day weekend. We would definately stay at the Baymont again when staying in Cookeville.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed on the way through town. Nice hotel and good size rooms. Bed was so bad my wife had to drive the next day due to my back hurting. Staff working at check in were great not near as good at check out. My wife for left nice blanket she got for christmas from her grandparents and when we called to get them to hold it it was not to be found. I will be staying at another hotel when in town because you can not trust cleaning staff, blanket is one thing what if it was a wallet or purse.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 2, 2008

We chose to stay here based on favorable reviews and were very pleased with the spacious and clean room. We did have a dog and the room we were given had absolutely no evidence of previous pets. Nor did we hear any dogs during our stay. Minuses: The included breakfast was not very good in our opinion. Plus, I accidently left my favorite belt from LL Bean somewhere in the room, probably on a hanger or behind the bathroom door. I called the next morning upon discovering I had left it and the front desk person said they'd look and call me back. I did not get a return call. On our way back home the following day, we stopped in at the hotel to check if it had been turned in and it had not. So I am out one belt--my fault for leaving it, but I really expected it to be turned in.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We chose to stay at the Baymont while my family was in town for a basketball state tournament, because they allow dogs in their rooms. We have two small pugs, and did not want to board them just for one night. We were pleasantly surprised to find this hotel, and read all the good ratings.
The good: pet-friendly, of course- we were not hassled at all about our dogs or the fact that we had several visitors while staying; the breakfast was pretty decent (basic continental).
The bad: the rooms were advertised as non-smoking, but there was a distinctly smoky smell the entire time we were there. I expected a smell, since this hotel accommodated pets, but strangely, no pet smell, just smoke. The beds were terribly uncomfortable. My husband compared them to spring mattresses...
The staff was not very helpful at check-out--there was a major storm coming in, and we had one last game to play (the finals!) after "check-out", and we requested a late checkout (only an hour), so we did not have to leave our little pugs in the car. The receptionist flatly stated that it was only possible for a "day rate" charge! I asked to see the manager, who just happened to be near by, and she said "Of course we will attend to your dogs while you are gone." Gracious--they had to be in a crate at the hotel in the first place, so I did not understand why this receptionist would not have shown a little "customer service". Well, I do understand that these words are basically dead...
Anyway, one more word about the room-- all night, our A/C would cut out WAY before the room was even cool. We were repeatedly getting up and turning it back on. This was a pain, and led to a sleepless night.
All in all, we will break down, board the pups on our next trip, and stay at the Hampton!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)