“Very Nice Date Restaurant”
Review of CHAR Steakhouse

CHAR Steakhouse
Ranked #16 of 171 Restaurants in Cookeville
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: CH Steak Lounge is a newly rebranded, locally owned and operated Steakhouse on the square in downtown Cookeville, TN. Boasting the best steaks in the region as well as the best all around dining experience in town, CHAR has quickly become THE local hot spot for great food, cold drinks, and the best live music in town.
McMinnville, TN
“Very Nice Date Restaurant”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Food: Excellent
Atmosphere: Intimate
Price: $50 stuffed 2 full-size adults
Cleanliness: Not dirty, but suspect

Food: We got a sample cheese appetizer to start (which was top-notch; highly recommended). There was a variety of cheeses, pecans, dried cranberries, and fresh strawberry slices; an excellent way to start a large supper. The sides to our main dishes were the soups which, while not very large, were of adequate size and good taste. My wife really liked her main dish - a stuffed chicken over rice. My glazed salmon with rice was good.

Service: Our drinks did not get empty until the very end.

Atmosphere/Cleanliness: The restaurant did not have any performers the night we went, but I did see a mic set up. The restaurant itself appeared spacious between tables, but the tables themselves put you close to the table; for an overweight couple such as ourselves, we both touched the table. I won't say the restaurant was anywhere near filthy, but I did notice that the table where we were seated did not appear to be wiped down; there was a drink-condensation-ring on the end of the table.

This was the first night in long time that it was just myself and my wife. This is an excellent date-style restaurant, being fully set up for couples or tweenie groups (this is a college town after all). I would really hesitate before bringing young children as this restaurant is not a good fit for that demographic.

Overall, I can definitely see me and my wife returning here in the future for our date nights, but when the kid's along, we'll go to the "clown", the "cows", or the "monarch".

• Visited June 2012

Mitchell, South Dakota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic local place”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Food is great, employees are friendly and always have a smile. Place is roomy, but cozy. Looked like everyone in the joint was having a good time. Not too hard to find. Would highly recommend this restaurant

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Jonathon I
Spencer, Tennessee
“A surprise inside”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Had lunch with a friend yesterday. Our firt time at CHAR. Atmosphere was more suited for a night spot. Although steaks were on the menu, I wouldn't go here for a sirloin. I'm spoiled when it comes to beef. So a $14 sirloin tells me one thing - it's not Prime meat. Yet, the house ground premium burger was excellent. Homemade kettle chips were to die for too. All in all a great place for lunch. We will be back.

Cookeville, Tennessee
“Best food in Cookeville!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We come to Char at least once a week and it's by far the best restaraunt in Cookeville! The staff is amazing and they have a new menu that is to die for! Best steaks and burgers I've ever had!

Cookeville, Tennessee
“I usually love Prime Rib, but...”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

They advertise it as one of their specialties and I've tried several times, thinking it would be better, but it has never been that juicy, tender, flavorful cut of meat that I anticipated.

Sandwiches, service and drink selection is good, but I've never had an outstanding meal there.

Visited December 2011

Been to CHAR Steakhouse? Share your experiences!