“My go to place in Cookeville”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cookeville
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times. I have stayed for business and a long weekend with my wife. I have been very pleased with the rooms I have stayed in. The staff is kind and helpful. This is a five star in this town because it is about as nice of a room as you are going to be able to stay in Cookeville.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Bruce A, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

First, let me thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that your experiences with us have been so positive and look forward to having you with us again!

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in August 2012, and again this August. The room is spacious, I even requested a room with a tub for my 19 month old! The staff was very accommodating. We plan on staying again next year. My only disappointment which is very minor, is the lack of having an outdoor pool.
We did notice a lack of staff as we were eating dinner in the dining area one night, as a customer was waiting for someone to help them. Otherwise, the room and hotel was very clean, we slept great, and it was very quiet.

Overall, just a great place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2013

First, let me thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. We have been working through some staffing issues for the last month or so but things have improved considerably. We are glad you had a great stay overall and look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here on a trip across TN for one night. Hotel looks pretty new. It is in a great location, far enough away from highway so it seems peaceful. Directly across the street from a Sams Club. So no traffic in early am or later evening. Nice.... Person at desk was young gentleman. Greeted us, but with no enthusiasm or smile. Our Marriott profile shows upper floor away from elevators. He told us our room was on first floor. Was able to change that without incident, but again, lack of enthusiasm or any emotions. Rooms are tiny, but clean. Very strong scent of cleaner. Almost too much. Bath was ok size and clean. No complaints. Hot tub outside was nice and hot. Towels in pool area are just about the size of hand towels and so very stiff. Um, even at only 140 pounds, that barely covered or dried anything! Overall a nice stay. Would just like to have felt more welcomed by the staff after a long drive, and not like just another customer he had to work with.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

First, let me thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are sorry you had any service issues during your stay. We are currently training several new front desk associates and we will be certain to share your feedback with them. We are in the process of upgrading all our linens and should have better pool towels for your next stay with us. t\Thank you again for helping us strive to be the best hotel in Cookeville.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

When I rate a hotel my rating isn't based on how opulent or luxurious it is but how I was treated and the overall condition of the place. This certainly isn't a Four Seasons nor JW Marriott but I couldn't honestly rate it anything but five stars.

I stayed eleven nights here and my room was clean, cold and quiet - my top three criteria. The staff were great, always helpful when I needed something and I needed a lot as I conducted two weeks of meetings here. Their meeting room was small but adequate.

The only minor criticisms are that my favorite Southern health food, biscuits and gravy, only appeared on the breakfast buffet on Wednesdays. Also the breakfast is minimal but adequate and free but the coffee seemed to run short pretty quick.

This hotel is far enough from I40 to not be bothered by highway noise so I slept well. My room was kept spotless.

Certainly my first choice if I return again to the area.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the back of the building and may be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

First, let me thank you for taking the time to write about us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your responses and your praise as well as your recommendations regarding breakfast. We always strive to meet or exceed our guests' expectations and requests. We look forward to a return visit from you.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I walked into the lobby at 8:45 and no one was to be found. I waited for 15 minutes before the desk clerk arrived. By that time two other guest were waiting too. I gave him my name and he could not find my reservation. I asked for our company's nationally negotiated rate and he said there wasn't one. By this time it was 9:10 so I just asked if they had a room so he booked me in a suite at a much higher price.

I called down after I arrived to my room because I found my confirmation number. I gave it to him and after a few minutes he found it. He said it would be taken care of. This morning at check out it was not. The new guy at the desk took care of it. They should spend some time training their people.

The room was nice but not very clean, hair on the bathroom floor and tub. The shampoo and lotion were tiny not enough for two to share. I get being aware of costs but it just seemed cheap.

The breakfast bar was fine and the attendant was very pleasant.

I am doing some work here in town and I doubt I will return.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
MarriottCookeville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

We want to apologize that you had a negative experience when you stayed with us in Cookeville. Just after I spoke with you on your departure morning I found that the reservation had been made for the day before your arrival. Our new front desk person didn't realize how to find the reservation.

I went into the system at check out and refunded your stay to your national account rate. We did not charge you for the upgraded suite level room. And he made some mistakes in check in. I have redirected him & I am certain that will not occur again.

We again ask you to give us another stay. We have a terrific service oriented team and unfortunately we were short staffed with our newest trainee on the day of your arrival. We are certain that we can take great care of you on your return. Thank you so much for your feedback. Our new associates learn so much more during these busiest times. We are sorry for your inconvieniece. Come back soon.

Best Regards,

Karla

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Sorry this is so long but this was one of the most frustrating experiences i have ever had at a hotel. Booked this spot based on reviews, location and that it had an indoor pool and hot tub. It was a last minute booking as we were returning from vacation and decided to drive a little further. Happy to have snagged the last double queen room but thought the price was a little on the high side.

The hotel itself had great decor and was pretty modern. The front desk clerk who checked us in was very kind. That is where the positives end. The room was freezing cold when we entered so I cranked the temp up. No big deal. The kids were anxious to get to the pool after being in the car all day and I really needed to hot tub after the drive. So down we went. The pool AND the hot tub were ice cold. So I went to talk to the guy at the front desk and my key would not work, so I could not get back inside the building (hot tub is outside). Tried a second door which did not work either. The front desk clerk could see me from that door and he came over to let us in. I told him about the issues and he told me that some other guests had made the same complaint earlier. So not what I wanted to hear. Why hadn't it been fixed EARLIER?! Or at least tell us at check in. Ugh. He said he would call someone but by that time it was getting late.

So back in our room I notice that the toilet seat is in need of replacing. This is a personal pet peeve. Toilet seats are not expensive. It seems very out of place considering that everything else is pretty fresh and new looking. I think about calling the front desk but remember that we have the LAST queen room. Ugh.

Then in the middle of the night the air kicks back on. I know several hours have passed since I originally turned it down but that is how cold it was in the room at check in. The unit makes a high pitched whirling sound as it comes on which wakes me up. Ugh. The noise continues for a few minutes. Ugh. At least it doesn't wake up the kids. It stops and I fall back asleep. Happens one more time during the night. Ugh. Icing on the cake was the lovely pink mold on the shower curtain liner which I discovered in the morning. Ugh.

I spoke with the assistant general manager who said that the general manager would be in at 10 am. I guess he did not have authority to help me because that is all be said. Ugh. It was 9:45 am so we packed up and loaded the car. Shortly after 10 we were ready to go. Stopped by the front desk. GM still not there. AGM offered to give a price reduction and I just wanted to go so whatever. He did finally apologize at that point.

It is too bad because by all other appearances it should have gotten a higher rating.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
MarriottCookeville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We want to apologize that you had so many service issues during your stay with us at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Cookeville.

We strive to meet and exceed guests’ expectations when they visit with us. We were sold out this past weekend, so most the rooms were full of youth and groups, but we hate that you had trouble with the pool temperatures. There is a maximum that we can set the temperature on the pools from the Health Department. I have noticed that when the pool has been full for the weekend that the water replacement does cause the temp to lower & it takes some time to re-heat. We will watch for these issues more closely on the weekends.

The cold room at arrival is unacceptable. The individual PTAC air unit in your guest room is set to cycle the air on a timer, and that’s sometimes noisier than our home units. Maintenance has checked both the AC and repaired the commode seat in room 222. That’s one of my pet peeves too.

I apologize that I wasn’t able to meet with you before your departure. I had worked front desk this past weekend and arrived just after your departure. Jeff is normally wonderful at working with our guests. We have credited you the remainder of your charges after Jeff discounted your rate for the guest satisfaction issues.

We are very proud of our hotel & associates. Our high ratings normally speak the truth. We are an amazing Marriott property. But I understand your frustration with the issues that you experienced while in our care. We ask that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my second time to stay at this hotel and both were positive experiences. Very clean, courteous staff and comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. The location is perfect, very family friendly and safe. Have to go back in a couple of months and already made my reservation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Bruce A, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We are delighted that you were pleased and have been a loyal patron. We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.