“Amazing Afternoon Tea”

The Bluebell Cafe at Barrowmore
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Bluebell cafe is a small friendly place to relax in a lovely setting, sourcing local produce and producing freshly cooked foods. All profits go back into our charity which supports people with learning difficulties.
“Amazing Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Yesterday my husband and I went for afternoon tea and it really was fabulous. From the moment I rang to reserve a table I was impressed. The staff, the service, the presentation and the quality of the food were excellent. We were greeted when we arrived and sat in the conservatory with a lovely view. There was a fantastic variety of sandwiches and all were so tasty that we couldn`t decide which was our favourite! Then the selection of homemade cakes arrived and we were in for a treat. They looked beautiful, but I have to say that the most delicious thing was the flapjack. It was incredible and when I told them how much I loved it, they brought me some more - heaven! All in all we had a wonderful time and the food was excellent. The best afternoon tea that I have had (and I have had many in my time!). I will be back very soon ...... Tuesday in fact for my birthday treat. I can`t wait! Caroline

2 Thank Caroline C

“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Have visited the Bluebell Cafe a few times and always enjoy the atmosphere and the great staff Jo and Lainey are lovely ladies.
Had delicious salad but coffee cake was disappointing dry and not much flavour.
Overall a really nice lunch, worth a visit.

1 Thank Liz A
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

After reading the recent reviews on Tripadvisor, it was with great anticipation that I took my mum and daughter to The Bluebell Cafe today for lunch. What a huge disappointment.

We arrived at noon, my daughter decided to order the salmon and prawn salad and mum and I decided to order the day's hot special which was a spinach, cheese and butternut squash (pumpkin) frittata served with potato salad. I love butternut squash and was really looking forward to sampling the homemade frittata. A few minutes after placing our order (with a young volunteer), an older lady came to the table and told us that the frittata had not yet been prepared as she had been too busy all morning to start on it (even though it was the day's hot lunchtime special and chalked on the blackboard?). She informed us, if we still wanted it, we would need to wait for her to prepare it from scratch - did we still want it?, we were asked. I asked how long it would take and she told us twenty minutes which we were fine with and so decided to order hot drinks whilst we waited (we were originally going to have these after lunch with a slice of cake). I ordered a hot chocolate which was fine, nothing special and mum a cappuccino which she asked for extra strong, however she only took a couple of sips and couldn't drink anymore as it was not particularly nice coffee. The frittata finally arrived at the table 40 minutes later (it was brought over by the young volunteer) and it looked so unappetizing, instead of the frittata being a firm slice/piece (as it should be) and nicely presented with the potato salad on the side, it was broken, sloppy and wet with no evidence of butternut squash, nor accompaniment of potato salad. There were half cut small potatoes in the fritatta and one tiny bowl of coleslaw was handed to my mum, but nothing to me. I asked the young volunteer where was the potato salad and the older lady who originally told us about the frittata not being prepared, came back over to the table. I politely asked her about the potato salad and why there was no butternut squash in the frittata. Her reply was that she had made the quick decision not to put the butternut squash in the frittata as it would increase the cooking time (?) and instead use the potato (for the potato salad) in the frittata instead and thus replace the potato salad with coleslaw? I couldn't believe what I had heard - basically she had decided to change the menu and our order without consenting us or checking if we indeed liked coleslaw. Why did I still want the butternut squash? I was asked. Should she bring some on a platefor me? I was completely shocked. I could not believe in the first place that the main hot dish for the day was not prepared by midday, we then had to wait forty minutes for it to arrive at the table, instead of the twenty minutes we had been told us and then what was served, was poorly executed, main ingredients absent and items substituted at her whim. An incredibly bad and I have to say arrogant attitude - if I choose to order a potato salad, I am ordering it because I like it. I didn't order coleslaw and neither do I particularly like it. Basically we were not getting what we ordered, not because they didn't have the ingredients available but basically because the person making it had taken it upon herself to adapt the menu under her 'quick decision' to do so without informing us or checking it was okay, which it was not. Is it actually legal to do this? Serve food that does not match the description of what a customer as ordered without informing them? They also forgot to put the egg on my daughter's salad and this was put in a small separate dish on the talbe. I felt so cross and really disappointed with the sloppy and unacceptable service and also embarrassed as I had arranged what a thought would be a nice lunch out for my mum and daughter and we were all very much looking forward to it. I had by this stage quite a headache so decided to go outside for a few minutes to get some fresh air. When I came back to the table, there was a bowl of what I can only presume was steamed/microwaved butternut squash sitting by the side of my lunch plate. I don't want to eat a plate of squash, I want it incorporated in my frittata as described on the menu as in line to what I believe I was ordering, just as I don't want to eat coleslaw (even though I wasn't actually given my own portion of it) and would not order it, I want potato salad. When I mentioned about the potato salad, I was then asked, do you want me to make you a potato salad? Like this was a huge favour! Well actually, yes, I would have liked the potato salad but to accompany my frittata as I thought it was going to be as outlined on the menu. By this time, I was so upset with the whole attitude and bad service, I just wanted to get out of the restaurant and get home. I wasn't being served what I had ordered but still expected to pay for it? My plate was untouched (other than a small potato I had eaten from the frittata) and my mum's coffee cup was virtually full when another waitress came to clear our plates. I was asked if everything was okay and I explained to the waitress I had a headache and was not feeling too good - she offered me a pain relief tablet. I also told her that there had been a problem with the food too however, our plates were cleared away, the bill presented with no suggestion of a reduction or compensation for not serving us what we ordered nor an apology. To be honest, I would normally under such circumstances challenge such poor service but I just wanted to get out of there as soon as I could. I am aware that all profit from the cafe go to charity and staff are volunteers and I 100% respect and commend this. However, this does not excuse such poor service nor does it give the right for staff to be so arrogant to make the decision to serve customers what they feel rather than what they order. Why create and offer a daily special if you are going to do this? Whilst I am more than happy to donate to charitable causes, I felt totally cheated out of the £25 I had spent on lunch, and I will not return to the cafe again. One of my worst dining experiences in a very long time.

17 Thank Ladyonhertravels
“Best Afternoon Tea.”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

A group of 8 retired and current staff from a special school in Chester gathered for a summer holidays afternoon tea.It was amazing, beautiful fresh breads with lots of quality fillings, proper home made cakes and delicious straight from the oven scones with butter, cream and jam. Pots and pots of tasty tea and a glass of champagne. A leisurely unhurried atmosphere, superb friendly service and amazing value. Thank-you, we shall be back.

Stockport
“went based on trip advisor review”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Food was ok but some items undercooked and it took forever to cook and serve 2 breakfasts.

There were 3 staff working in the kitchen plus a potwash, and it was certainly a case of 'too many cooks spoil the broth'.

I was, however, impressed with the setting, view and decor.

Visited July 2014