“Dirty Room”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cleveland
Butler, Georgia
“Dirty Room”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was the dirtiest room we've stayed in. Appeared to be not vacuumed, dirty Q-tip under the sink, counter top not wiped. It had "stuff" on it from the last customer...just creeped us out, but we were too tired to go on. Also, not a family hotel. The Bar, which I didn't know HJ's had in their hotels, looked to be guarded by 2 bouncers (that should tell you something) and was open until 3. The lobby was literally booming and people and "Saturday Nighters" were milling around in the parking lot. Our room was on the other side of the complex and thankfully we were not bothered by the noise or music. The bed was clean though and was comfortable. We won't be staying there ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ohio
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I thought this hotel would be a good stop over on our family trip to Florida from Ohio. At check-in, a sign in the lobby stated that the pool was closed for remodeling. The swimming pool was one of the main reasons for chosing this hotel. I told night manager I was very disappointed with this and it should have stated this on the website. The manager barely grumbled a reply. The room was dirty and smelled badly. The next morming the free breakfast only added to our displeasure. The selections were very limited to say the least. The manager(I would guess the owner) would put out 2 or 3 items at a time and patrol over the guest watching our every move, nothing was allowed to leave the area. Upon inspection of the swimming pool, I did not see any improvements in progress. I would be suprised if the pool is in working order anytime soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Cleveland hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Had a great time at the HoJo of Cleveland, Tennessee. My wife had a school project she needed to print last minute and the owner kindly let us use his personal computer to print over 50 pages. Rooms are very clean and had a great price to boot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2010

If you are looking for a clean, well-managed motel that accepts pets, the Cleveland HoJo is just fine. It's hard to find a place that will accept (2) 50# dogs. The room is nothing fancy but Neil, the owner was very hospitable. We checked in and about an hour later received a phone call from him to make sure everything was OK with our room. We were put in a pet-friendly room but couldn't see any signs of that. There was a grassy area out back to walk the pups. The only drawback was the pool was closed due to repairs and looked awful. Apparently the pool contractor was behind schedule and was supposed to have it open by Memorial Day weekend. The free continental breakfast was pretty typical, but Neil is super friendly and makes waffles to order for anyone that wants one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We stopped here on route home from Florida. Was a little hesitant to stay bing have had other howard johnsons give me a bad service. Room was clean and fresh linens, Person at counter during check-in was very helpful. Breakfast was your typical continental breakfast(cereals, fruits, oatmeal, and coffee).WIll keep in mind on next trip

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Since I was arriving late and leaving early, I was looking for an inexpensive, no frills motel. I got much more than I bargained for. The hotel room was dated and musty smelling. But even worst, there were large stains splattered on the wall. To me, it looked like blood. (see photos). Howard Johnson's sent me a "Customer Survey" questionnaire. When I told them about the room, they apologized and asked to get them a second change. Yikes, no way!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Ijabber
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2009

My husband and I drove for over 10 hours to get to Cleveland TN for a family function on 10/22. Our plan was to arrive late on 10/21 and crash at the hotel then drive back to MD immediately following the event. 10 hours one way is a long trip and I did a bit of research on hotels before making my reservations - we simply did not have the time to deal with any issues this trip, as we were going to need peace and quiet for a quick power nap before hitting the road again.

We did not arrive as planned - between construction and traffic snafoos, we didn't get into Cleveland until almost 4:30 am on the 22nd. The hotel staff were simply wonderful - they actually apologized for having to charge us for the full rate since we'd only be in the room 4 or 5 hours for some much needed sleep. They offered to make us some waffles, as they were already preparing to set up the continental breakfast. We passed on the food, as we just wanted to crash.

The room was clean - the hotel is a little old and does have some wear on it, but truthfully, it was very clean ( I padded around the room in white socks while unpacking and pressing clothes for the event and they were not dirty when I took them off)

The bed was really wonderful, clean sheets, good bedding, not cheap hotel starched sheets with hard as nails bed, towels were not cheap paper thin worn out ones and everything in the room worked - we really were very satisfied with the room and the staff. Parking area, walkways, and doorways were well lit and we felt very safe. The staff really were very very nice to us.

Thanks to the Trip Advisor members who provide balanced reviews to help set expectations for the rest of us when we are researching our trip plans.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple