“Yikes”

Howard Johnson Inn Cleveland
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Since I was arriving late and leaving early, I was looking for an inexpensive, no frills motel. I got much more than I bargained for. The hotel room was dated and musty smelling. But even worst, there were large stains splattered on the wall. To me, it looked like blood. (see photos). Howard Johnson's sent me a "Customer Survey" questionnaire. When I told them about the room, they apologized and asked to get them a second change. Yikes, no way!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Ijabber
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Cleveland

Reviewed October 23, 2009

My husband and I drove for over 10 hours to get to Cleveland TN for a family function on 10/22. Our plan was to arrive late on 10/21 and crash at the hotel then drive back to MD immediately following the event. 10 hours one way is a long trip and I did a bit of research on hotels before making my reservations - we simply did not have the time to deal with any issues this trip, as we were going to need peace and quiet for a quick power nap before hitting the road again.

We did not arrive as planned - between construction and traffic snafoos, we didn't get into Cleveland until almost 4:30 am on the 22nd. The hotel staff were simply wonderful - they actually apologized for having to charge us for the full rate since we'd only be in the room 4 or 5 hours for some much needed sleep. They offered to make us some waffles, as they were already preparing to set up the continental breakfast. We passed on the food, as we just wanted to crash.

The room was clean - the hotel is a little old and does have some wear on it, but truthfully, it was very clean ( I padded around the room in white socks while unpacking and pressing clothes for the event and they were not dirty when I took them off)

The bed was really wonderful, clean sheets, good bedding, not cheap hotel starched sheets with hard as nails bed, towels were not cheap paper thin worn out ones and everything in the room worked - we really were very satisfied with the room and the staff. Parking area, walkways, and doorways were well lit and we felt very safe. The staff really were very very nice to us.

Thanks to the Trip Advisor members who provide balanced reviews to help set expectations for the rest of us when we are researching our trip plans.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gennymac
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Horrid.. Wouldn't recommend to anyone at all. Being a woman traveling alone, I move quick as I can, so I didn't notice these horrors until I closed front door & the metal piece of sliding bar lock on the door frame had been broken, bent & screwed back on & locked, but loose. There was a hole in the ceiling above the vanity so I covered it myself, (didn't get a shower!) I found out that I was in an adjoining room when I opened the door (too easily) that had obviously been broken down before & fixed with a piece of what looked like spare wood on the right of the frame with nails. It was past 12 am, so I didn't leave or call front desk because I was just gonna stay in there awake all night with lights, tv & on the phone & computer. Plus I didn't want hotel staff inside my room. I was exhausted & I wasn't going to move my whole weeks worth of belongings that late I had already moved in, so I literally stayed awake all night & moved next day & let them have the 2nd night rent. My husband & I prepaid 2 nights online because of the wonderful reviews we read about the staff, location, remodeled rooms, cleanliness & things. I was amazed at the( I guessed owner) man the next day behind the desk when I decided to go back & pickup a shirt & pants I left; he kept trying to convience me nothing was wrong with the room & all I wanted was my things & out of there. I found a place the night before with more ammenities like home for the same $ per night, no holes anywhere & a complete kitchen. Oh, remember when you book online, there is no refund.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Its an older hojo. BUT very clean. The hotel staff will bend over backwards to help you. I will saty here when ever I am in town!!!!!!! The restaurant is not part of the hotel BUT you need to stop on in. The food is GREAT the portions and large and the staff is friendly.

Steve@amber-alerts.us

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ofd65
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights June 16 & 17. We checked in about 9PM, the clerk was vey friendly the lobby was very clean. Went to the room & it was a good size & very clean, nice beds. We had a good night rest & went to the lobby for breakfast, it is the standard breakfast cereal, toast, ect. coffee & juice then there are the fresh waffles that someone will come out & make for you, they bring the syrup right to your table along with napkins & plastic utensles. The breakfast is great, & everyone helps keep everything CLEAN.
The location was good just off the main road. We really enjoyed our stay there. We saw our family In Cleveland & they heard that the hotel was remodled & wanted to know if we liked it & if we would recommend to other family members & we said YES.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We have spent past two nights in much more expensive hotels - but with no more amenities except room service (which we never use) and elevators. Desk clerk was very friendly and informative. "Warned" us that two kids' softball teams were staying here so that we could stay elsewhere if we would be bothered. Nice large clean room. Could have better pillows. All room entrances and stairs outside, but covered. No elevators.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We booked our reservation through our rewards program. When we arrived at the hotel we were told we could not use the rewards for the room we had booked. I called the rewards program & Jim, the person I spoke with was very rude and told me it was not there fault that it was the hotels mix up, which I do not believe was the case since the rewards program is who I had booked through. The man at the desk, Neil, told me not to worry about the mix up that he would give us the room anyway, and he apologized for the inconvenience we had. The room was clean and we enjoyed our stay. We will definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TnTex