“Awful Stay”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Cleveland
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 2, 2009

This hotel looks beutiful and the staff is very accomodating, but this may fool you. There were bed bugs in my room. They really tried to make things right, but you just can't fix that problem. I was horrified by this incident!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlordiaFancy

Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stopped at the Fairfield Inn in Cleveland. The place was very clean and the service was great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We are seasoned travelers around the country. We stayed for a week. The rooms were clean, the staff was superb and we didn't have any trouble with noise or 'smells'. There were large softball groups at the hotel for half of our nights and while they did take over the lobby, we didn't have any noise issues. I almost moved hotels, based on the other reviews complaining of noise and smells. I am a light sleeper with allergies and had no trouble at all. I did request a room away from the elevator, on a higher floor. The breakfast was not very inspired, the pool is not big enough for laps but otherwise, was above average. Check out their long term rate, 3+ nights.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2009

I happened to stay at this hotel one night while traveling. The hotel is only 15 months old and is beautifully decorated. The staff is extremely courteous. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. Everything in the room was modern and very clean.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband had to be in Chattanooga for business while I did some sightseeing. Since he travels so much, I like to go along when I can. His perspective as a business client is that the rooms are too small. There was one chair that just fit between the bed and the wall in our room. As usual, the desk and tv are on the same wall so the desk and tv have to be turned if he wants to work and watch tv. For myself, the room would have gotten to be a bit clausterphobic if I didn't have the huge lounge area and outside space to sit and relax after I had gone out sight seeing. I do not travel as much as my husband but the front desk personnel was the best I have ever run into on every shift. They genuinely cared that your every need was personally taken care of. It didn't matter if I just went through the lobby I was always greeted with a smile and a comment on how my day was going. The comfort level with their staff at this hotel is top notch.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I was wowed by this new hotel when I first stepped into the lobby. It has great design and it actually still feels new.
I got a King room 2 doors down from the right side of the elevator (the shorter side). My room faces the parking lot, which is better than the opposite side facing the hwy. At first I was impressed. For once (unlike so many old Marriott Courtyards), the room is bright (lots of lights) and the carpet is fresh. The bath is not so tiny that you have to close the door before doing anything in it. I like the 21st century features like flat-screen TV and adjustable thermostat. Having a microwave and frig in the room is a great plus. The designer of this hotel really put the other less modern hotels to shame. Who would want to stay anywhere else!!

Hoever, after my first night, I have changed my mind. Eventhough I can hardly hear the highway noise with the air-con going, the elevator banging is definitely annoying. I didn't notice it when I checked in at 10 pm, but starting at 6 am, every time the elevator moved, I can hear a loud mechanical noise. I had to request a new room at the front desk. After he looked in the computer, the morning manager said nothing was available but will leave a note for the daytime staff.

When I returned from work (5 pm) and talked to the front desk again, I was first told no room was available. I insisted and after some searching, she came up with 2 rooms that are further from the elevator (this time on the longer corridor away from elevator). So it seems one has to ask 2x to get something.

The new room is now a double queen, and the size is a bit bigger than the first King room. However, here is why I start to hate the hotel:

- This room has a definite mildew smell, and the smell is most noticeable when the air-con is off (say when the room is cooled enough and the system automatically shuts off)
- Eventhough the elevator is not a problem, the highway noise is louder on this side of the hotel.

So it seems there is no such thing as a decent room within this hotel if one is a light sleeper. So, either tolerate the highway noise, or get used to the elevator banging. Knowing that this location is right next to the highway, why on earth are the windows not more sound proof!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I stayed here a couple of nights on a business trip. The decor was modern, extremely colorful, sleek furniture. I was iniitally pleasantly surprised as everything looked so nice. The hotel is quite new, but built such that the walls, ceilings, doors are paper thin. It's also located right on the interstate and there is a great deal of traffic noise, including the many 18 wheelers that use the interstate corridor. I used the HVAC to mask some of the traffic noise, but then there was foot traffic noise in the hall, neighbor's noise, plumbing noise. I would not recommend this to a friend. My colleague had recommended the Wingate across the interstate, but I chose the Hampton due to being on their frequent guest program.... not again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business