“Mixed Reviews”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Cleveland
Makanda, Illinois
“Mixed Reviews”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Ladies, if you like things clean - this is NOT the place for you. I read a lot of reviews before we stayed there and thought it to be about the best place in the area from the reviews. All I can say is that I would hate to see the other places in town with bad reviews. The room was not clean at all and there were some objects in the bed that we could not identify. I had to clean the light switches before I would use them and the carpet was patched and very dirty. I would not have touched the hair dryer with a ten foot pole. Glad I brought my own. Their breakfast was so-so I guess, I didn't eat it. They had microwave eggs and gravy and oh that reminds me that I seen their package of breakfast biscuits on the same table that it looked like they used to fold their laundry because it was in the same room as the laundry. I don't know about you but I don't cook and do laundry in the same room. But there were a few good points about the place -- the staff was very nice and helpful and the bed was very comfy. So my advise to you is that if you book a room here check it out VERY good before you agree to pay. For me, I will continue to search for a better place for when we are in the area. Good luck.

Room Tip: You want to stay in the back of the hotel on the Cracker Barrel side away from the street trafic.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank vbevil86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed August 4, 2011

In helping my elderly (80-year-old) parents book a hotel room in order to attend their granddaughteräs college graduation in Cleveland, I booked a double queen room at Douglas Inn and Suites on Hotels.com. Before confirming the booking, I spoke personally (by phone) to the reception desk to make sure that they didn't get a room with an outside entrance (they would not have to be afraid of a robbery etc.) and also to make sure that their room would be on the second floor close to the elevator because my mother has mobility problems.. Since I booked early, the desk clerk said that there was no problem at all and that there such a room available and that she would make note of this on their reservation. Also, before booking, I copied pictures of the hotel rooms and facilities and sent them to my parents. All the pictures looked very nice and the room quality up to normal standards. We paid for the room months in advance to make sure that we would get the room we wanted.

My parents had to travel 12 hrs to reach Cleveland and were extremely tired when they arrived. To their shock, they were shown to a SHODDY room on the parking level with an outside entrance-Exactly what they specifically wanted to avoid. On their reservation, the desk clerk had written " close to the elevator"-but not even this was taken care of.

The condition of the room itself was at best SHODDY. The bedspreads were worn and faded, the curtains, also worn and faded were not even all attached to the hooks on the rod. The chair was faded, dingey and worn out. The whole room itself showed poor up-keep and maintenance. As comfort goes, it was well-equipped with a refrigerator, mocrowave, iron/ironing board and hairdryer and also relatively clean.

But what does that help when you are 80 years old and afraid to go to sleep because your room door opens onto a parking lot and when you look out from the room you can see the sun shining in ALL AROUND the closed door, which means it is not insulated properly and perhaps not exactly a safety door!

Going on to the bathroom. It was VERY small-no room for more than one person, which was OK, but there was no fan or vent, so there was no way to evacuate the steam from the shower. The bathroom had also sen it's best years long ago.

If it had been me, I would have either demanded the room that I booked, or left directly (We found out that there was a Marriot close by), but my parents , being elderly and very tired, just accepted it so that they could rest and get on to the graduation ceremonies.

The desk clerks tried to be as helpful as possible, but could not do anything to change the situation.

All I can say at this point is BEWARE!!!! If you book this hotel, make sure that you do not have to stay in the rooms with an outside entrance. I do not know anything about the maintenance of the rooms with entrances from the hallways inside, but unless you are a truck driver or budget travellor who just wants a simple room to rest your weary bones and don't care about the standard or safety, you shouldn't go to this hotel!

Final remark...giving thought to all the care that I took making the proper arrangements, YOU, who made this terrible mistake should be totally ashamed of yourselves! You ruined what should have been a happy occasion for my poor parents!

Room Tip: Look at the rooms personally before you pay a single penny to this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MissDRM
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We had to travel to TN from GA to see our friends. At night we (my wife and infant baby) went to Holiday Inn (former, now Mountain View Inn) after encountering some issues there I called Douglas Inn hotel. Hotel clerk, lady was very nice and offered us discount seeing that we were coming late with our baby. Douglas Inn hotel building is not big but inside it feels clean and homy. We had great night with our family there. It is located right next to the Cracker Barrel (yummy) and it is close to I-75 exit. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelokonda
spring hill florida
Reviewed January 3, 2011

homey clean best mattresses ever. friendly desk clerk. great value for price

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janere111
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My family and I traveled to Cleveland Tn. to visit family. We stayed for 3 nights and it was a great experience. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable, we had no complaints about our room or the staff. The place was very quiet and the staff was very polite and helpful in everyway. The location was great and the price was fantastic. I will be staying there the next time I travel to Cleveland. There were no smells no alarms just a nice pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Patrick337
Salem
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed with a group of 3 other couples on an overnight stay in Cleveland. Our room was clean, but the walls were very thin. Cooking smells and conversations wafted through to all our rooms. The residents staying there were more than just overnight guests. The smell of onions and fish both in the evening and morning was hard to stomach. The hotel is non smoking. The smoke alarm went off around midnight because one of the residents disregarded the rule.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank halmom
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We were driving from Virginia to Louisiana to meet my newest granddaughter. After 10 hours on the road, we stopped to eat at the Crackerbarrel in Cleveland TN. The Douglas Inn & Suites is next door, so after reading some reviews on this site, I decided to stay there, because I didn't want to drive any more.

The evening staff was polite, but a little confused at times, not sure of who she was talking to. The room was average with a fridge and a microwave, television, and 2 queen beds. The room was clean and the bed linens were clean and neat.

Our excitement was at about 4:20 AM when the fire alarm went off. After evacuating the building (which wasn't really easy from the 2nd floor using a cane down the stairs) someone who looked like he may be a staff person came out and told us it was ok and that someone was "probably cooking" and "this happens sometimes". I would recommend they check their wiring in the hotel.

It looks like the building was recently updated and rebuilt. The first floor rooms open outside, but the 2nd floor rooms open to an interior hall.

All in all, it was an average hotel with a little surprise in the middle.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family