“Beware semi idling outside hotel. Very average for not so average rate. Choose the Hampton or Fairfield!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Cleveland
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cleveland
Chicago
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I usually stay in Hampton Inns and unfortunately that may cause a somewhat unfair review because it will be tough not to compare the two - especially when the price difference in rooms was only a few dollars and that offer came when I decided that I was going to drive another 22 miles to stay at the Hampton in Athens despite the late hour, since the one in Cleveland was booked solid. The original rate for my room was well over what Hampton would've charged. I have to be truthful here - the only non-smoking room left was a two-room suite though it had only one bed. Being a solo traveler, I had absolutely no need for an extra room and really didn't want to have to pay for it. I'm thankful that they were willing to drop the rate but the room was definitely not worth what I paid in spite of the reduced fee (from $130 to 109). I'm sure the entire Jameson Inn was at one time a very nice place to stay. The main room was large and well-appointed with a King-sized bed, chair and ottoman combo, coffee table, desk and tube TV mounted on a chest/entertainment center. The lighting was very good. The WiFi was reasonable though it had a tendency to go in and out. The curtains over the windows did not adequately block the bright lights from the walkway and parking lot. The other room had a sofa (probably a sofa bed but I did not check), a coffee table, bureau, TV, and a mini-fridge. The lighting in there was a huge office-style fluorescent light fixture that buzzed loudly so I closed that room up and didn't venture that way again. The furniture, though nice at one time, was quite worn. I give the inn points for cleanliness but I still did not want to sit in the upholstered chair which looked appalling - I'm sure it was clean but there is not much you can do about stains that have sunk in over the last decade or so. The carpet was either recently cleaned or new which is where the awful wet chemical smell probably emanated from. When the gal at the front desk delightedly told me that I had this large suite at the corner of the hotel, I immediately said "You mean the one on the end where the idling semi is parked?" Apparently, this is a rather normal occurrence as she immediately said that the driver usually came out and shut the truck down around 11pm and drove away in the middle of the night. I wasn't looking forward to the cacophony that would make. The semi was literally parked a stone's throw from my room and went through cycles where it idled much louder for several minutes and then quieted to a lesser rattle for a while. It was still idling at midnight and I decided to take a sleeping pill instead of wait for the front desk to track down the driver and insist he turn off his idling truck which I seriously doubted could be done. I think this is an extreme disservice to other hotel guests who want a good night's sleep. As they had already reduced my rate, I decided not to harp on it and slept well once my sleeping pill took affect. But a hotel guest should not be forced to take something to induce sleep due to chemical smells and idling semis. Being told that breakfast is served from 6am to 10am, I arrived at 6 to find a harried employee trying to get breakfast set up while simultaneously checking out early risers. I saw that in another review this is apparently the norm to have a single employee covering both breakfast and the front desk. Breakfast was actually pretty awful - I was even told by the night clerk who checked me in that the breakfast was all carbs without me even asking. She was apparently hoping that I wouldn't get my expectations up during the night. The juice machine was broken. There was no fruit. There was no cream cheese for the bagels until I asked. There was a dreadful looking gray gravy... Waffles that they advertised as "Belgium" (really???) but no syrup. In retrospect, I wish I had driven the extra 22 miles and stayed at the Hampton in Athens which would've given me a clean room and a delicious breakfast for only $5 more and no idling semi on the side. When I arrived at my destination the next night, I looked up the Jameson Inn in Cleveland and noted that this so-called two room suite doesn't even show up on the room listings. I also noted that I really didn't get a reduced rate at all since I paid exactly what the higest rate is for a Premium King Room. Then I looked up the Hampton Inn in Cleveland and they charge exactly the same rate for a room. My conclusion - book early and stay at the Hampton!!!

Room Tip: Call earlier in the evening to guarantee a room at the Hampton Inn for the same price.
Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Nancy C, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Cleveland, responded to this review, June 20, 2016
Hello Jewelsworld.

Thank you for reviewing our Jameson Inn.

I am so sorry to hear your stay with us wasn't the best and I cannot apologize enough for what occurred on this particular visit with us. A lot has changed here in the past four years. I can assure you that our staff will always do everything we can in order to get you a room that meets your needs.

I would like to invite you to come back to our location, which is now the Baymont Inn and Suites, and allow us to have a second chance to improve your experience. When you come back, if you ever need anything, please call someone at guest services and we will bring it to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family passing through one night and was highly impressed with the level of customer service we received while staying at this facility!
We walked in and right away we were blown away at how nice and accomodating the front desk was. Lilly, who checked us in was very helpful in listing the amenities available to us. She made us feel right at home and was so sweet. She went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable!
The beds were super comfortable and the room was very clean. The hotel is in a great location near many restaurants and it was QUIET so we got plenty of rest after a long day of travel

The breakfast was a pleasant surprise with quite a few choices available. Overall this was a great stay and very much worth the value!

We will certainly be staying here if we are passing through Cleveland, TN again!

Room Tip: Rooms on back side of the building are very nice, as they are away from the road and near the pool...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ilmbyemj6266
Nancy C, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Cleveland, responded to this review, June 5, 2016
Hello ilmbyemj6266.

Thank you for your review of our Jameson Inn and Suites.

I love seeing reviews like this one! Everyone here at the Jameson Inn of Cleveland works hard to ensure every guest has a wonderful stay and I am happy to see that we delivered just that with you. The next time you are in Cleveland, we hope you will stay with us again. We are now the Baymont Inn and Suites of Cleveland.
London, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Driving from Ontario,Canada to Florida, we stopped @ Jameson Inn in Cleveland. We found it by using the "hotel coupon" brochures available at most rest areas. Our first impression was that it looked very expensive. We were checked in without delay by Kathi who offered queens or king bed. She was very pleasant and also suggested nearby restaurants. We were given a main floor room (easy parking at the door) It was spotless!
The king bed was extremely comfortable and did I mention the room was spotless??
The continental breakfast was the usual but also very clean area. Nancy was so enjoyable to chat with..she obviously loves her job and it shows.
Prior to this trip we had not heard of this chain of inns found mostly in south east states but we will definitely look for them on future trips and stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoD688
Hello JoD688.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed here with a last minute priceline booking ($44). Not bad at all. Check in was a breeze. Showed up shortly after booking, was asked preference for # of beds, 1st/2nd floor, pet/no pet. Said I didn't mind, whatever was easiest, and the clerk upgraded me to a "suite" - not too shabby.

Location is good, right off the main drag in Cleveland, close to all kinds of shopping and restaurants, very easy to find as it is up on a hill. Room was nice, but not what I would consider a suite. Considering this is listed as a 2 star hotel on priceline, the "suite" was comparable to a regular room you would find a laquinta or best western, although it is set up like a motel - with the rooms directly off the parking lot. I actually don't mind this - easier access to my vehicle. Room is decent sized - king bed, lazy boy chair, desk, fridge, microwave, etc. Bathroom not too big but not a big deal.

Amenities were average. Fitness center is decent at best. It has an old treadmill, a very old bike, and some other strange contraption used with a humping motion. Also has a multi-gym weight machine that worked for what I needed. Outdoor pool as well. Internet is free and wireless, but can be very slow at times, but worked reliably. Breakfast is free and consists of the usual - do it yourself waffles, various breads and juices.

Overall I really liked the place, had everything I needed with a great price. Couldn't find anything I really disliked or that annoyed me. After staying at a $199/night place in downtown Chatt the night before that charged for breakfast and parking, and was very old and outdated, I'll take a place like this anytime.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Hello shaunbsc.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I loved my stay at the Jameson Inn in Cleveland. I wasn't expecting anything special, I guess, but wow, was I pleasantly surprised in just about every area. First, great location--it sits up on a hill, and it's really kind of pretty! Then you snap out of it and realize just how close you are to all the businesses. Best of both worlds, for sure. Then, the staff-- so sweet! Genuinely concerned about my needs, good at taking care of business, and you can tell they are actually nice people. Loved chatting with Nancy in the breakfast room! And then of course, the room was spotless-- clean, comfortable, tasteful. The bed was quite comfortable, and the room was great. This little hotel is doing it right-- I will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hello Ashley C.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Things we loved about the Jameson Inn:

1. Friendly staff. Everybody we met was kind, helpful, and went out of their way to make us feel welcome without being obtrusive.
2. Clean facility. Even though the room was not brand new, we felt like it was clean.
3. Hot tea in the morning! Yum.
4. Finally, a great location. This hotel is right across from Panera Bread and many other great stores.

Room Tip: I felt safe staying on the front side of the property where just about the entire city can see the e...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
JamesonCleveland, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Cleveland, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear RANDOLPH6,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. We strive to be the best and desire for each and every guest to have a wonderful stay with us. We are so happy to hear that your enjoyed our staff and our hotel. Thank you very much for your business and we look forward to having stay with us again.

Nancy Coker, GM
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We have stayed at Jameson Inns before however, this hotal was not typical. The rooms were just not clean. The bathroom was small. The towels are paper thin. The staff was, however, very friendly. About 2:00 a.m., a semi decided to start his engine and leave it running for about an hour before he left. It might not be the staff's fault but it was annoying. For our next trip to Cleveland, TN we will look for someplace else.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear David4537,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. It is our number one priority for each and every guest to have a wonderful and legendary stay, the kind that Jameson Inns are known for. We strive for every room to be very clean and extremely comfortable and I am so sorry that you feel we let you down. Your constructive comments will be are not taken lightly and we would so appreciate the chance to earn your business again. Again thank you for your input, we hope you will give us another chance when returning back to Cleveland, TN.

Nancy Coker, GM