“manager was so helpful”

Ranked #72 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Van Buren
“manager was so helpful”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We called for reservations on the 800 number and they put us downtown instead of at this motel. Super 8 customer service was not a lot of help but this manager spent a lot of time helping us cancel the other reservations. I, also, needed another pillow and he provided one promptly. The price was right, the room was clean but the breakfast was not great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The room was clean, seemed in good repair and the furnishings were fine. The breakfast was nothing special. Coffee, a choice of two juices, some tacky sweet rolls, toast, cereal and make your own waffles. The mattresses were rather firm, but I like it that way. I had a quiet night with no noise complaints. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Check in was pleasant and knowledgeable. Recommended the Wendy's down the road and it was Horrible. The stairwell smelled of smoke. We were the first room inside the glass door on the second floor and I expected a lot of noise. It was pretty quiet. Room was OK, but dated. Were the sheets clean? Breakfast was OK. Three tiny tables. The biker receptionist at check out didn't even speak other than "here you go" when he handed me my receipt.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We ended up staying here after a change in the reservations we had (due to weather). I'm not sure how long ago the pictures shown with this hotel were taken, but this hotel no longer looks like any of those pictures on the inside. The outside looks okay, or we wouldn't even have stopped there. The lobby looked ok, so I went ahead and got a room so we would get a room for the night. Hallways were very dark, but carpet didn't look very clean even in the dim light. Basic inside of room was ok, but bathroom was atrocious. There was mold above the shower, and shower walls and seams appeared to have mildew on them. Fan in bathroom did not work at all. Beds appeared to be clean. Breakfast was minimal. Back door did not require you to use your key card, even though I was told to use it. Didn't attempt to go to the pool. My husband did chime in with another customer who was complaining, and the person at the desk made some comment about this is what happens when I leave for the weekend. Things didn't get bad over a weekend here. We would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Shorewood, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2011

This was, hands down, the most disgusting hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. I booked this hotel sight unseen, because my family wanted to stay overnight in Chattanooga and do some sight seeing before heading down to Florida.

As we entered the hotel, I was concerned totally disgusted by the smoke smell throughout the entire stairwell. The smell continued up to the second floor where our non-smoking room was. The place was like a giant ashtray.

Our room wasn't much better. The bathroom was horrible. From the urine ring around the base of the toilet, to the unidentifiable spatters and streaks down the door. I almost didn't want to use the shower, but felt I had to try to get some of the nasty feeling off me the following morning.

The beds were hopefully clean. It was hard telling. My children wouldn't even walk on the carpet without their shoes (they are 10 and 12). My son made the comment, "I wish I could levitate, so I don't have to sleep on the bed." I think that's how we all felt.

We didn't bother eating the complimentary breakfast for fear of any other bad encounters (cereal and waffles). As we left, I found the "security" door at the back of the building we used didn't work at all. It could be pulled open without the use of the key. Makes me wonder if some of the questionable clientele we saw coming in and out that door even belonged there!

If I could give this place no stars, I would. We only stayed here, because most of the hotels I had called were already booked, as there was a festival of some kind going on in the city, and we had already paid for it. We would not have gotten a refund back. Even when I called down to the front desk for an issue with the tv, no one even answered! And I literally let it ring about 20 times just out of anger.

The next morning when we went to breakfast, I was speaking to our waitress at the cracker Barrel nearby. She even said, "Oh Honey, next time don't ever stay there." she even knew of it, and gave me the name of a hotel worthwhile.

While we spent around $90 (through a travel website-and this was a discount. Can't imagine paying even a penny more for it!), I should have at least gotten a clean place to spend the night.

Room Tip: Don't book an unseen room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Me and my friends are 18 and we were heading down to Orlando for a senior trip. We knew that some hotels wouldn't take use due to our age despite having a valid ID and credit card. So, we called ahead before we left to several hotels in the Chattanooga area and this Super 8 in lookout mountain said it was okay. Then, on the way down in Nashville, we called to double check that a room was still open and that we could still stay there. The worker said we could and was very polite. However, when we got there, the clerk at the desk took our information, and then right before she gave us our room asked if we were all over the age of 21. I told her no we were all 18 but had a valid ID and credit card. She said too bad. I then explained that we had called ahead and gotten a confirmation twice that we could stay there. She said we did not. We were flabbergasted. She then proceeded to lecture us about how we couldn't find any hotel anywhere in the area because no one would help us, and was very smug about all of it, without offering any help. She continued to tell us we did not call, so we left to find another hotel. We promptly called Super 8 Chattanooga and they accepted us immediately. Just to double check, we called the hotel next door in lookout mountain, I think it was a Ramada, and they accepted us as well. We called a few others and they said they would take us as well. I went back into the Super 8 lookout mountain and told her the names of the other hotels that would take 18 year olds, and asked her to tell any other travelers that encountered the same problem. She slammed shut the AAA book I was showing her and said good bye. I was appalled by how rude she was. I understand why some hotels don't let 18 year olds stay in their hotels even with a credit card and ID, but don't tell people they can and then when they drive 12 hours to get there inform them that they are too young and no one in town would take them. This experience could have complicated our trip completely had we not found another hotel. I had a great experience at the Super 8 Chattanooga and would encourage anyone staying the night in the area to stay their over Super 8 Lookout mountain.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank fossil_freak68
Chickamauga, Georgia
Reviewed May 6, 2011

The hotel is quite old but in good shape. Our room was small but adequate for our needs. On the Thursday night we got there,the lady on the front desk was friendly and very informative about the area. She was funny and made us laugh after a hard days travel. Breakfast was good. The only complaint was when we checked out the desk clerk was a little smart aleck. I was hoping for attitude like we got the night before. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple