“Ants, Ants, Ants”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We LOVE Chattanooga and we have no problem paying for a more expensive hotel to further our enjoyment of the city. That is why we were so horrified with the condition of the Read House. We paid a little over $150/night for what Expedia considered a 3 1/2 star establishment. When we arrived, we were placed in a room where the curtains were only halfway committed to the wall. There was no bathtub and the entire hotel had an awkward smell. The room was very dirty and had not been cleaned in days. In addition, we paid extra to be placed in a suite, but the room we were originally given was so small that we kept opening closet doors looking for the rest of it. We spoke to management, and very shortly thereafter we were placed in another room (Good job being responsive to our needs and we were thankful for the good customer service.) But the new room we were assigned was not much better. It was bigger, but still very dirty. And that smell just didn't seem to want to go away. But since we booked the room on Expedia, we had paid in full at time of booking, so moving to another hotel was not an option. So we settled in and watched television while my two year old played on the bed with her doll. The room was unkept so I was not comfortable letting my daughter really play on the floor or anything. We also began itching but we were unsure if that was just our imagination or actual bug problems. We left the room for about 30 minutes to walk to Starbucks (great amenity) but when we returned, our bathroom floor was covered in 100's of ants. We called downstairs, they did not really want to take us seriously, so we took pictures and walked them down to the front desk. Someone finally came up and wiped up the ants, but could give no explanation regarding where they had come from. The following day, we left for about 9 hours to tour the city, when we returned, our room had not been serviced. We called the front desk (they hate us by now) and about 2 hours later, someone came up and brought us clean sheets but she was "off duty" so she refused to clean. She handed us the sheets and left. We had to change the bed ourselves. Long story short, we shared the room with ants for three days. We had intense itching going on and it WAS NOT our imaginations. We were afraid to really touch anything and we never did outrun that musty smell. In addition, Pets are allowed in this hotel so we suspect that there may have been a flea issue causing the itching. I will try to find the pictures of the ants and post them with the reivew. But we still Love Chattanooga. We will just stay someplace else next time.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank RoadTrippr
There are newer reviews for The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

Reviewed August 28, 2006

Stayed at the Sheraton Read House for business and enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious with comfy beds and great bedding. The Read House is an historic hotel that has been carefully updated and graciously appointed while still maintaining its historic feel. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank JMDTN
Reviewed August 26, 2006

The hotel smeelled VERY musky. The bathroom had no bathtub and the hotel didn't even even tell us. When we took a shower, the complete floor became wet. The one thing that I enjoyed was the Starbucks! Will not go back. Definitely not worth the money!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank TheBenekins
Reviewed August 3, 2006

Let me first say that my wife and I regularly write reviews especially when the hotel is good - so we do not routinely complain! We also travel a great deal over several continents. This hotel can only be described as appalling as far as cleanliness goes. We checked in to a room and my wife accidentally dropped something behind a bedside cabinet. We moved the cabinet to find several months worth of peanut shells, sweet wrappers, hairs and a multitude of other things. this caused us to investigate further to find that other areas had not been cleaned for a considerable time. We changed rooms and found the new room to be acceptable. On Day 2 having left the hotel at 8.00 a.m. due to the time zone difference we returned at 5.20 p.m to an un serviced room. The front desk seemed confused at our concern - seems this is normal from other reports on Tripadvisor!!. Despite assurances that they would do this in 20 minutes it took over an hour. We sat in the palatial front lobby while we were waiting and were confronted by several trolleys of rubbish being wheeled through unashamedly. From the first floor up there was no sign that the public areas, including the lifts, were ever cleaned. There was debris such as cotton wool buds left on hallway floors for several days. We decided that if this is an indicator of the cleanliness we would not eat in the hotel. Chattanooga is a wonderful place to stay with the most wonderful friendly people. We would definitely return but stay at a different hotel. I just wish I had taken notice of other Tripadvisor reviews that had identified similar problems. I always have faith in hotels learning from bad reports.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank JohnFR
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I have stayed at the Read House many times over the years. It has had its ups and downs with prior operators. Sheraton has done a nice job renovating the rooms and the common areas. I had a junior suite that was very large and comfortable. The only odd thing was there was no door to separate the sitting room from the bedroom even though the doorway was a standard size. I had a good meal at the hotel restaurant. I wil stay here again.

2  Thank Nashville1
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I booked the Sheraton Read House through Priceline for $50 per night for three nights. We were attending a wedding that weekend and were worrried that as Priceline customers we would not get our preference in rooms. Not only did we get our preferences, our room was much more spacious that we had expected. The room was clean and the only problem we had was promptly corrected (the shower curtain was replaced immediately upon our report that it was moldy). We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, which can be rare for a couple as young as my husband and I. We really enjoyed the location downtown, and never had to pay for parking since the metered parking in Chattanooga is free over the weekend, and metered parking is readily available directly in front of the hotel. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Crystal D
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I'm writing in regards to my stay at the sheraton read in Chattanooga , TN. The stay at the hotel was fine but at departure time there was a big problem with the price of the rooms and the number of nights in which we stayed in the hotel. While checking out at the front desk the clerk was asked to correct the problem with the amount of money that was owed at the time of departure. The problem was fixed or so I though, while getting ready to pay for my room the clerk ran my credit card and I told her I did not want to pay with my card but with cash. The clerk responsed with she could void out that transaction and take the cash. Well about two weeks later I received my bank statement and found that I had a charge on there for the oringal amount of the room in which we asked the clerk to correct. Also being that there is not suppose to be a charge on my card at all. So a call was made to the hotel and after speaking with sereval people at the hotel the decision was made to give me back a part of the money but not the part of 120.44 because I did not have a recent showing that transaction. So not only did I lose my money the people at the hotel made me feel unimportant and made me feel like a lier. I do not recommand anyone to stay at the sheraton read house because they do not care about the costumer nor did they show any concern about this sitution , they only showed concern about their employee and how she has been there for so many years and so she basically is honest and and does not make mistakes.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family