“Bad Service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #18 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Pulaski
“Bad Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

I'm writing in regards to my stay at the sheraton read in Chattanooga , TN. The stay at the hotel was fine but at departure time there was a big problem with the price of the rooms and the number of nights in which we stayed in the hotel. While checking out at the front desk the clerk was asked to correct the problem with the amount of money that was owed at the time of departure. The problem was fixed or so I though, while getting ready to pay for my room the clerk ran my credit card and I told her I did not want to pay with my card but with cash. The clerk responsed with she could void out that transaction and take the cash. Well about two weeks later I received my bank statement and found that I had a charge on there for the oringal amount of the room in which we asked the clerk to correct. Also being that there is not suppose to be a charge on my card at all. So a call was made to the hotel and after speaking with sereval people at the hotel the decision was made to give me back a part of the money but not the part of 120.44 because I did not have a recent showing that transaction. So not only did I lose my money the people at the hotel made me feel unimportant and made me feel like a lier. I do not recommand anyone to stay at the sheraton read house because they do not care about the costumer nor did they show any concern about this sitution , they only showed concern about their employee and how she has been there for so many years and so she basically is honest and and does not make mistakes.

• Liked — nice and clean enviroment
  • Disliked — problems with desk clerk and taking money out of accounts that have already been paid
  • Tips/Secrets — keep the receipt because the employee at the sher. hotel don't make mistakes
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank Tijunia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a four day visit to Chattanooga. Even though we had a few issues at the Sheraton Read House, we enjoyed our stay. Each issue was addressed in a timely fashion.

Our reservation was for a club level room with two 27 inch TVs. Upon arrival, we were assigned a nice room but on further review it was much smaller than what was expected. However, it was nice so we were fine with it until we realized the air wasn't working. First, we called just to inquire on whether or not the air had been turned on thinking that it was just a hot day. We were told that engineering would come look at it. We left for dinner thinking that all would be corrected once we returned. We came back to even a hotter room. When we called the front desk, we were offered another room and a 50 percent discount for the first night.

The second room was much better and the air worked beautifully. It was bigger with both TVs as we had reserved (we are big TV watchers). The bathtub was not as clean as it should have been but it was an easy fix. The sweet sleeper bed is heavenly. The decor is nice and we appreciated the small gesture of leaving a bottled water in the room. Previous reviews spoke negatively regarding the pedestal sink but we didn't mind it all. We simply placed our toiletries on the shelf in the bathroom or on the desk.

On the third day of our visit, we returned that evening to a room that had not had maid service. I called the front desk and spoke with Melissa. She assured me that she would get someone up there to make up the room. We decided to leave while our room was being cleaned. When we returned, the cleaning cart was still outside of our room but we decided to go in and watch TV while housekeeping was finishing up. Instead of a housekeeper cleaning the room, two managers were actually cleaning the room. Melissa and Lee actually came up to service the room because housekeeping was on break. We were both surprised and impressed that the management team was so responsive and committed to making sure the guests were comfortable. Thank you Melissa and Lee! We were even given a complimentary breakfast at the Porter's Steakhouse in the hotel.

The hotel itself is decorated very nice. We spent at least one hour when we first checked in just looking around the first two floors. We loved how some of the original architecture was kept during the renovation. The antique phone booths in the lobby are very cool and add to the historic feel of the building.

We loved that there is a Starbucks in the hotel (we visited several times during our stay...we love the Lemon loaf). The breakfast at Porter's was nice but there some confusion regarding our bill since it was complimentary. Several reviewers mentioned the $12 per day valet fee; however, it is very nice to have someone get our car when we needed it. We didn't mind paying that fee at all. The guys were very pleasant and quick with getting our automobile.

Lastly, Danielle was very nice when we checked out. She asked about our visit and seemed to sincerely care whether or not we had enjoyed our visit. Overall, the Sheraton Read House is very nice. It is convenient to all of the downtown tourist activities and the shuttle is right across the street. We enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

The hotel was absoltuley ravishing, one thing i did dislike though was that you had to pay for parking. Other than that it was very clean, and most comfortable beds i have every slept on. One thing about the sheraton read house was that room 311 was haunted! No, i am not lying. Our second night stay me and my 11 year old daughter were walking to our hotel room, which was 315. As we got out of the elevator, we heard screams coming from this room. My daughter and I immediatley ran down to the front desk and reported this, they said it was a normal thing since the room was haunted. Even my daughter said she could see ghosts walking in the hallway when she went to get ice for our cooler the next morning.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

Although the dark interiors of this hotel are not my style, I can appreciate its beauty. It was relatively clean and the beds are very comfortable. Many people also seemed to be enjoying the pool

Having said that -- if you choose to stay here be certain that you know exactly what you want to do and where you want to eat. There is no concierge and the staff at the front desk are far from helpful. The bright notes in the staffing were managers Derek and Rick, Alex on the phone, and a valet named Jon who was the only person to offer us restaurant suggestions and directions.

Like previous reviewers we had many troubles at checkout with the bill.

While the food at the restaurant is passable it is made up for by the delightful staff (ask for Lequeva) and manger.

Why are none of the linens ironed? The bedding and the tables in the restaurant look so rumpled.

1 Thank FoodieTravelFun
Twinsburg, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

We were fortunate enough to stay at the Sheraton Read House on June 21 & 22. I had tried to convince my daughter to stay at the Choo Choo but she said the train cars "creaped her out" and I am so glad that she would not change her mind. When we viisited the Choo Choo the amount of security personnel walking around the facility alerted us to the fact that the location was not in the best of neighborhoods. I was able to seccure a government employee rate of $65.00 for 2 queen beds but when I called back to ask to be given a room in the old section of the hotel I was offered a king suite for an additional $20.00 which I jumped at. It was very hot the two days we stayed, 96 plus, and the old air conditioning system was not doing a very great job in keeping up with the heat, this was our only complaint. We enjoyed our view of Broad Street from suite 303. The sleaper sofa was not comfortable at all so our extra 18 year old guest slept on the closed sofa the second night instead. The bed was very comfortable and the shower head was wonderful. The 17 and 18 year old loved the pool and I found the small business center convenient. The food and staff at Porters Steak House were top of the line and our best meal in Chattanooga. The lobby was beautiful and the staff very helpful. The $12.00 valet parking charge was well worth the monty for its convenience and safety. We looked for the ghost in the hallway near the haunted room but we never saw her, darn!

2 Thank kutchyone
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2006

Beautiful hotel. About 6 blocks from riverfront, aquarium, ets but right on free shuttle line. Hotel and rooms very stately, very elegant. Wonderful beds. We stayed in the addition, and although it looks as if it is part of the original hotel, the wall appeared to be paper thin and as our neighbors decided to stay up and talk until about 3:00am, we unfortunately did too. They were just talking, however, not being overly loud or partying, so we did not feel like we could complain.So, yes we recommend this, but get a room in the original hotel building!!

Denver, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Sheraton Read House June 16-18, 2006. It is a beautiful hotel, a great restoration, and has a friendly and helpful front-of-house staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay before the hotel made a serious error on our bill and was totally unresponsive to our attempts to get the hotel to correct the problems which they created. Twice we were placed on hold for over 30 minutes while we attempted to reach the hotel switchboard. Althouigh we finally did get through to voicemail for the accounts receivable office and left a detailed message explaining the situation, no one from either Sheraton or the Read House ever returned our call or corrected the error. Unfortunately, I would recommend that you avoid the Sheraton Read House until they have replaced the accounts receivable staff and their phone system. It is a shame that the hard work of so many could be undermined by an incompetent few.

• 5 of 5 bubbles