“We Loved This Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Joplin, Missouri
“We Loved This Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2005

Unique and interesting hotel in the downtown area; we were captivated by the architecture and historical significance as well as the great staff at the Sheraton Read House. Excellent location and wonderfully appointed rooms. We had a huge king suite for under $100. Highly recomended .... the clerk I spoke to says many people check out of room 311 in the night due to strange occurances. It certainly adds to the mystique.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank hoot_ks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed at this hotel, on the advice of Trip Advisor. Until this stay, TA had never lead us wrong. Well, unfortunately the streak has been broken.

While I agree with others that the lobby, decor and bedding in the hotel is very, very nice, the one thing that I treasure most (Quiet!) is lacking here. Our room was so noisy! Upon looking out of our window, we could see a very busy road, not far away. This busy road provided lots of semi-truck noises, car rumblings and even beat box music (on and off.) Sleep eluded me most of the night.

I'll have to say, even though the room was nicely appointed, and the room service food was pretty good, the noisy road (and room) was enough to ensure I will never stay at the Sheraton Read House again.

• Stayed December 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank roadtripper_fl
Dalton,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2005

downtown historic hotel, great food and pleasant staff. convienient to the aquarium.
great rooms!

• Stayed March 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank giddyupgo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Read House for one night as a weekend getaway. I have to say that i love this hotel. The hotel itself is so beautiful. With all the red and gold colors it really makes everything look very elegant. And the beds, oh my gosh the beds, they are the most comfortable that i have ever slept in. The rooms are extremely clean and the staff is very friendly. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. From the valet parking to the breakfast buffet----everything was outstanding.

• Stayed October 2005
north carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2005

The Read house is BEAUTIFUL and the rooms are incredable. The only complaint that I had is that I was double charged for two rooms (when I only stayed in 1) and since they are in the process of changing hands by the time they got it figured out I had overdrawn my account and they refused to pay the fees for thier mistake.
Other that that they it was one of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank PickyWorldTraveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

I stayed in this hotel in September and it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms were super clean, the staff was very friendly and attentive, and the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! The location was very convenient and the king suite we stayed in was so comfortable that I actually looked forward to coming back to the room and relaxing. The staff was very attentive...always calling to follow-up if there was something we had requested. I am not usually one who likes "historic hotels" but this place was fabulous- and I look forward to returning to it in the near future.

• Stayed September 2005
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2005

I reserved 22 rooms in February for 2 nights in October. I talked with the sales staff several times including the Tuesday before we were to be there on Friday. A month ahead, I sent them a rooming list so they knew who would be in each room. Everything seemed in order. They were to have our rooms keyed and ready for me to hand out when we arrived. They were to have our breakfast ready at 7am the next morning so we could be on our way at 8am.

When we arrived, the desk did not have our keys ready and didn't know they were supposed to have them ready. The sales woman I worked with was called and was to come down to the desk but she never appeared. (At least our rooms had been reserved.) Our group had to wait as each room was keyed. I handed the keys out as they were given to me, only to find out as they handed me my key, that there are two sets of elevators and you had to take the correct set in order to find your room. There was mass confusion with everyone trying to find their room but we finally got everyone into their rooms. It took the desk over 1 hour to get the keys ready for us! Our group had traveled many hours that day and were exhausted by the time we got to our rooms.

The next morning, we were at the dining room at 7:00 a.m. and found that they did not know we were coming. The dining room staff reacted quickly and had our buffet breakfast ready within 15 minutes and the staff was very gracious under pressure. They promised a nicer experience for our next morning's breakfast and followed through with their promise.

If the sales person had done her job, everything would have been a positive experience. The hotel staff was gracious under pressure, the beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on, and the location for the things we wanted to do was perfect.

• Stayed October 2005