The Read House
$174
$146
$136
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Royal Inn(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
$70
BestWestern.com
1,631 results
All reviewshistoric hotelvalet parkingporter's steakhousevalet servicejunior suitehistoric feelbeautiful lobbydowntown chattanoogaper daybroad streetsitting areafree shuttlefitness centeran older hotelindoor poolchoo choostarbucks
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 10, 2005

I reserved 22 rooms in February for 2 nights in October. I talked with the sales staff several times including the Tuesday before we were to be there on Friday. A month ahead, I sent them a rooming list so they knew who would be in each room. Everything seemed in order. They were to have our rooms keyed and ready for me to hand out when we arrived. They were to have our breakfast ready at 7am the next morning so we could be on our way at 8am.

When we arrived, the desk did not have our keys ready and didn't know they were supposed to have them ready. The sales woman I worked with was called and was to come down to the desk but she never appeared. (At least our rooms had been reserved.) Our group had to wait as each room was keyed. I handed the keys out as they were given to me, only to find out as they handed me my key, that there are two sets of elevators and you had to take the correct set in order to find your room. There was mass confusion with everyone trying to find their room but we finally got everyone into their rooms. It took the desk over 1 hour to get the keys ready for us! Our group had traveled many hours that day and were exhausted by the time we got to our rooms.

The next morning, we were at the dining room at 7:00 a.m. and found that they did not know we were coming. The dining room staff reacted quickly and had our buffet breakfast ready within 15 minutes and the staff was very gracious under pressure. They promised a nicer experience for our next morning's breakfast and followed through with their promise.

If the sales person had done her job, everything would have been a positive experience. The hotel staff was gracious under pressure, the beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on, and the location for the things we wanted to do was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

We went for a 1 night stay to see the Aquarium and take our kids to the discovery museum. I reserved two rooms, a king size bed with a suite and a room with two queen beds. I have to say that the beds are the best for any hotel that I have stayed at. I would stay at the hotel again just because of the beds. My mother stayed in the suite with the king. It was very nice and large. It was like the size of 2 regular rooms. The bedroom is totally separate form the living area. The furniture was well laid out and very spacious. The only down side was the bathrooms in both rooms were small but what do you expect for an old hotel. In the future, I will be getting a king/suite for my wife and two kids. The sofa in the suite has a pullout bed.
Two complaints - No towels at the pool. We called for towels but no towels were there after a 30 minute swim. And I had to pay $5.00 for a draft beer at the Porter house. However I did eat breakfast at the Porter House and loved it.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank chucke42
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2005

I really enjoyed the Read House when I first checked in for my two-week stay. I didn't even mind the bathroom too much, which was admittedly, smaller than my powder room at home. By the way, the toilet is so freaking loud when you flush it that it wakes up the entire floor!

At any rate, the first few days were great, then I noticed things slipping. All of a sudden, housekeeping started doing a pretty bad job of cleaning. The room got dusty but noone dusted, there were spider webs in the windows that were never cleaned out, the sink was obviously not cleaned from my first day of check in to 2 weeks later.

Other problems: I received several packages while I was here - two of them were overnighted to me. I was never notified that I had overnight packages, noone bothered to bring them up or even call to let me know they were there. When I inquired as to why, I was treated VERY rudely. When I complained the next morning to the manager, there was no apology, nothing - she acted as if I was being a difficult patron.

Also - no matter how good it looks on the menu, don't order room service. I paid $20 for bacon, eggs, and toast which was sitting in 1/4 inch of grease. For being a "difficult patron", I still tipped 40% + a service charge and didn't send it back even though it was disgusting and I couldn't eat it.

Anyway - would I stay here again? Maybe - but I wouldn't expect much.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2005

We stayed for two nights in August of 05, My son and I were on a multi state road trip and stayed for two nights, staff was friendly and helpful. We loved the pc's and free internet at the business center. The beds were very comfortable and room was very clean. Close to the aquarium and the shuttle stop out front worked out great! Walking distance to resturants. Overall great stay.

• Stayed: August 2005
Nashville
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I stayed in the Read House last weekend and had a WONDERFUL time. My husband and I took our two small children (ages 4 and 9 months) and some friends went with their two small children (ages 3 1/2 and 10 months) and it was just a perfect place to stay. The location is great (a few blocks away from the aquairum, the IMAX and the Children's Discovery Museum) and the electric shuttles are handy. (However, the shuttles are pretty small and fill up quickly. Big bulky strollers are a real pain to lug on to the shuttle and it's almost impossible to avoid hitting anyone in the knees with the strollers. Don't count on using that unless your have something like an umbrella stroller.) Anyway, the hotel has been beautifully remodeled; it still has plenty of character and yet it manages it be very comfortable and clean.
I noticed that the hallways smelled very fresh, not musty, and the same goes for the comfortable rooms. We had a room in the newer wing with two queen-sized beds, two club chairs and an ottoman yet the room felt very spacious. Even with all of that in there (not to mention the tv and dresser), there was plenty of room for our Pack-n-Play and the kids had room to play with their toys on the floor.
This is a great hotel for a romantic getaway or for families with small children. Oh, and business travelers too.

• Stayed: August 2005