“Go for an upgrade”

Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Lincoln, Ne
“Go for an upgrade”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

The staff at this hotel were extremely nice and upgraded us to a suite (despite having paid $55 on Priceline). Any room ending in 15 has a separate living room with wet bar, couch, chairs, desk and a second tv. The bed was comfortable and the pillows soft. The bathroom was so small, though, that there was no room for any of your personals. The AC could have been a little better. It was a 100 degress that day in Chattanooga though. All in all, a nice historic hotel. We ate down the street at Lupes. Great pizza.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
sonny1212
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my 3 year old and my girlfriend's 2 small children (3 and 7). The staff was very nice to us and very eager to please. We had to call for things from the front desk and we received service very quickly. I got my rate of $52 per night from priceline.com and with that, you never really know what you are going to get into. we were very pleased with our room. very clean, comfy beds, air was set upon entering our room. The staff was so nice and friendly and willing to help us in any way they could. The only thing that was negative was the parking. I was not aware that I would have to pay $15 per day for Valet parking. I could have gotten a meter or parked down the street, but with a small child, I didn't want to hassle with that. I wish that I would have been advised before getting there. I understand in the city this is the way it works, but I was not aware since i am not from the city.
Our experience was a good one. I hope that others that stay here have the that same experience as we did.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Monee, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We took a chance on Hotwire and booked a three and a half star hotel in downtown Chattanooga and it turned out to be this hotel, the Sheraton Read House. I paid $84.00 all taxes included. The hotel is suppose to be an old historic hotel with the likes of Al Capone, Winston Churchhill and others that stayed here. There's only valet parking but since we arrived by motorcycle we parked ourself. The location of the hotel is great. In the heart of all the downtown attractions and about 4 blocks from the riverfront. Several restaurants and bars in the area.
When we checked in we were actually given a suite. Room 301. The room was excellent, very warm and inviting. The beds were excellent and super, super comfortable. Living room and bedroom, two tv's, couch, desk, etc. The bathroom was small but all tiled and nice and clean.
The problems started when we went to lower the room temp. The a/c was blowing out WARM air. We unpacked and went out to check out downtown Chattanooga. When we came back about 3 hours later it was still coming out warm. ( It was 90 degrees out) I went down to the front desk and informed them of the problem. They sent an engineer up to try and fix the problem. After about 45 minutes trying he couldn't fix it and informed the front desk. We agreed (BIG MISTAKE) to move into another room. We got the new keys and room number and went to our new room. Keys didn't work. Lugged everything back down to the lobby and let them know. They re-set the room keys and back again we went. Keys STILL didn't work. Went back down to the front desk and complained to them about this. They didn't even seem to care. I told them to send up someone with us to open the door to the room. Went BACK UP to the room and waited for the maint. engineer to come and open the room for us. Third time. When he arrived and tried to open the door...guess what.....didn't work. He informed us by swiping the key thru the door and the color code that came on, that ...the room was already occupied!! The person at the front desk all this time gave us a room with someone already in it. FINALLY after the 4th time we were given a smaller, but still nice room. The shower pressure in the bathroom was terrible but we delt with it.
Upon checking out we were give coupons for two free breakfast buffets but no adjustment on the price since we paid via Priceline. Given all the problems we encountered I would stay again since the rooms were so nice if the price were right.
The hotel front desk staff really need to do a better job of taking care of it's customers though.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aerowing
nashville tn
Reviewed June 24, 2009

The hotel is a very nice place to stay. The problem is that I had left my ipod in my car and when we were on the way home I realized that it was gone. I called the hotel and all I got was that they had no control over valet. I find that hard to believe. I feel that the hotel and valet are at fault and no one is stepping up to the plate. I thought that my valuables were safe in my car, I guess I was wrong.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Annapolis
Reviewed May 29, 2009

What a great, historic, unique hotel! The rooms were good sized (except for the tiny bathroom), updated, and very quiet - I hardly ever heard anyone else during my stay. Free wi-fi, and a Starbucks and Steakhouse in the same building are extra big pluses. Front desk staff are friendly, just not completely knowledgable about everything (If you want an airport shuttle, book it 24 hours in advance to only be charged $15), but they did help a colleague of mine who was uncomfortable in her room. Beautiful pool area and sufficient work-out facilities. I will stay here again and suggest it for others. Just a note; since it is so historic, there are rumors of the place being "haunted" that creeped me out a bit before arrival but my room was not hanunted, I promise :-)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Just spent memorial day weekend at this hotel.The location is excellent,staff very friendly but for the cost of the room I did not expect cigarette burns on the carpet,stains on the chairs and sofa,and the remains of a squashed bug on the ceiling.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rwbIreland
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I booked this hotel for a family trip to TN. It was nice, near all the downtown attractions and the customer service was excellent. My family had to request a move once because we were placed on the floor where pets were allowed. Slighly smelly. We were moved with no problem and the rest of the trip was great. Do know that parking is $15 per day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family