“Reed House surpassed my high expectations”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Reed House surpassed my high expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

My brother got married in Chattanooga this past weekend so I used Tripadvisor.com to "feel" out the accommodations. The wedding party was staying at The Chattaoogan with overflow at the Marriott. Both appeared to be too pricey for me so I used Priceline, Hotwire & Tripadvisor to make my choices. Evidently the NCAA Ladies basketball teams were staying at both hotels, the Tar Heels at the Chattaoogan & the University of Central Florida at the Sheraton Reed House. From what I heard, many hotels were booked solid. We got a dynamite rate for three nights from Priceline.com and they put us in the Sheraton Reed House. We rolled in after our 9-hour car ride and there were a few people in line. As usual, someone was having a problem and once they moved along the others were taken care of quickly. I mention this because when we got to the front the auditor apologized for the wait and quickly checked us in. She gave us a room on the 9th floor and imagine my delight when I found it to be a suite!!! I don't know if it was because of the long wait or because over half of the rooms in the hotel are suites but I can tell you I feel that sometimes with Priceline you get a room that's either small, far away from the action (which is good) or a lousy view. This was not the case this time! Since we had visitors a few times there was plenty of room to sit in the "living room" and visit. The bed was extremely comfortable. In fact so much so, I didn't toss and turn & I woke up with an aching knee from being in the same position for hours. Of course it could have been from the 9-hour drive. The two TV's were nice, especially the large screen flat panel in the bedroom. The bathroom was a slight step up and the tub was deep. The only complaint I can think of is that when taking a shower the water pressure (which was fine) would fluctuate. This probably occurred when a toilet nearby was used. It didn't affect the temperature at all, just the pressure. The elevators were high speed and usually I didn't have to wait. There was plenty of on street parking since it was the weekend, however everywhere is metered during the week. The staff was wonderful. There was a light burned out and I mentioned it to the front desk the first night. They asked if I wanted it fixed right away. I said, "No, tomorrow is fine". It wasn't fixed when we returned the next afternoon and on our way out for dinner I was on my way to the front desk to mention it again when I saw the maintenance man. I mentioned it to him & it was fixed within minutes! What service!!!
What a pretty hotel. It's got classic charm & dark wood paneling with beautiful chandeliers. The other hotels I was at during the weekend all looked like cookie cutter places with no charm (except the fire pit at the Chattanoogan was kick*ss and unique). I would stay here again in a heartbeat (assuming I get a good deal). The location is also fantastic. You come off of the highway & it's right there. It's about 9 blocks to downtown but just far enough to avoid the noise. There is a free electric bus that serves most of downtown but if you stay out later than 9pm or so you would either have to walk or arrange transportation. There were hansom cabs, regular Cabs, buses & plenty of parking spaces. I was very impressed with Chattanooga and would love to visit again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scarybarry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
marietta GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

I usually stay at more budget accomodations, so this was a huge step up in quality for me, but i was impressed nonetheless. Lobby was beautiful and teh entire hotel was very clean and attractive. The indoor pool/hot tub was pleasantly warm, unlike some other hotels who claim to have "heated" pools. Great fitness center.
The rooms were large and comfortable, with very nice bedding and desk. The bathroom was as big as some other hotel rooms i have stayed in.
Full service Starbucks in the lobby.
WiFi was very quick and worked with out a hassle.
We had a problem with the remote to the tv and someone was sent up right away to fix it., Then the desk called a while later to make sure the problem was taken care of.
My wife wanted a fridge and we agreed to rent one and they brought it right up, plugged it in and made sure it was working properly.
Similar experience with pool towels, called when they ran out and immediately someone came with more. Great service.
Parking was $15 per day valet with in-out priv. but parking on the street is free at night and on weekends, and it seemed a safe enough area. I was able to park on street right in front of the hotel.
Did not eat at restaraunt, but great diner right across street from back door. Unadvertised was a lounge on the top floor that had some drinks and snacks out for a few hours in teh morning and at night. We found out by accident when they sent us up there to use a microwave.
All in all a great hotel.

• Liked — pool, starbucks in lobby
  • Disliked — no free breakfast
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
tgoulding, Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, April 13, 2009
Thank you so much for the kind remarks. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Chattanooga!
knoxville, tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

The Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN is a very historic hotel. We stayed there this past weekend, there for a swim meet with my daughter. The king room was very nice, bed was great. I thought the website advertised robes in the room and a jacuzzi tub, but these were not available in our room. The staff were friendly enough, One thing which was not acceptable was there was an elevator not working. Which left only one elevator operating. There was also a cheerleader competition in Chattanooga this weekend...so, needless to say...we had problems. There was a sign on the door one night that the elevator was not functioning; the next morning the sign was still there...elevator repair evidently was not called. We carried suitcases down the stairs from the 4th floor. But, good hotel overall.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — elevator dysfunction
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

Read many reviews on this hotel and must say that our stay was exceptional!

We checked in on Thanksgiving for a long weekend getaway and the staff went out of the way to make our stay excellent. I had flowers delivered the day before we arrive (due to the holiday) and the staff had them in our room when we arrived The staff really went out of their way to make sure our stay was wonderful. They even took our picture in front of the Christmas tree.

The valet parking attendants were always there ready to retrieve our vehicle at a moment’s notice. They summoned a cab in the rain and were ready and able to help us with any request we had!

The room was gorgeous!!! King-size bed, Jacuzzi, dining table, couch and other amenities! We had a view of the courtyard below. Enjoyed the indoor pool.

Only two minor disappointments was looking straight out the window we were across from a parking structure (but considering everything else - no big deal); and the hot-tub down by the pool didn't have a lot of pressure on the jets.

All in all would definitely recommend for couples wanting a romantic getaway...we are planning this to be a yearly getaway ourselves!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
tgoulding, Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2009
Thank you for making us part of your special getaway! We look forward to having you back and welcome the opportunity to be of service.
Buford, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

During our quick one night getaway to Chattanooga we had the pleasure of staying at the very classy Sheraton Read House Hotel. We had a great stay and it didn't hurt that we were upgraded to a King suite either (very nice surprise considering we have three kids under 4). Room was well maintained, clean and luxurious with all the amenities one could ask for. Service was excellent too, especially the bellhops and a very responsive houskeeping staff. The building itself is a living museum with wood paneling and historic touches throughout the lobby. Indoor pool was nice too being that it was in the dead of winter. All this for under $75 a night through Hotwire!

Only possible complaints I could have is that the walls were pretty thin and the noise from Broad Street was a little loud, but considering how old the building is (built before the civil war) that is to be expected. Also, would be nice if they offered free parking. (in fact, there is absolutely no free parking in downtown Chattanooga).

• Liked — Luxurious historical significance and indoor pool.
  • Disliked — Having to pay $12 to park
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Sheraton Read House as just an overnight stay on the way back home from visiting family and friends in middle Tennessee.

I'm writing mainly because the bed was among the most comfortable I've experienced in a hotel! Additionally the room was very spacious(except for the bathroom). Staff at check in were friendly and competent. The lobby was very nice. I agree that one could get turned around and you do have to take the correct elevator. However, I booked the room through Starwood for only $109.00 so I have no complaints. For me the$12 valet was worth it as it was freezing outside . Usually we stay at the nearby Marriott convention center...but not anymore.

The full service Starbucks in the hotel is very convenient. I have to agree that the Hotel restaurant "Porter's" is over priced but the staff is professional and my steak was high quality and cooked to perfection. My wife LOVED the crab legs. They were sliced so it was easy to get big hunks of meat out easily. By the way, they serve a fabulous cosmopolitan.

Finally, this was just an overnight stay but the location is very convenient to explore downtown Chattanooga

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — Porter's restaurant is a little overpriced
  • Stayed December 2008
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2008

I frequently visit Chattanooga and this time scheduling demanded that I stay over, so I chose Chattanooga's historic hotel, the Read House. I had heard a lot about it and decided to experience it for myself. I knew that it had recently been acquired by Sheraton and renovated. I was able to make reservations for what I considered to be a very good price.

Upon arrival to the city, I hoped to check in a little early, but was able to check in quite early, simply by inquiring at the desk. The clerk was very service oriented and happy to accommodate me.

I did find out that at this hotel, there is only valet parking, and the only other possibility is on-street parking or a nearby unsecured parking deck. At $12 per day, the charge was not excessive, but since there seemed to be plenty of parking at the hotel, I was not pleased that they didn't offer the alternative of self-parking. So if you plan to visit this hotel, add $12/day to whatever the rate is. It would be nice if these hotels with mandatory valet parking and parking charges would include that information on the website. Having said, that the valets were very nice. I needed to be able to access my car on my own to retrieve items and though I gathered that this is normally not allowed, they did allow it.

The hotel itself is stunningly beautiful. It has been gorgeously renovated, and certainly has the appearance of a true luxury hotel, with the added beauty of the historic appearance.

The room was wonderful. I reserved a standard king room but got what would in many hotels qualify as a suite. The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable - so much so that I slept far more comfortably and for longer than I usually do anywhere. There was plenty of room to lay out all my luggage. The bathroom was a little small, but this was probably the nature of the historic hotel. It was, however, well, organized and the furniture within it worked well with the small size. The water pressure was adequate. The temperature was easily controlled.

So, I received a good price, able to check in early, access my valet-parked car at will, very nice room, exceptional hotel. What more could you want?

What about dining accommodations? There is a Starbucks Coffee on site, and their brand of coffee is provided in-room. There is what is reportedly a high-class restaurant in the hotel that specialized in steaks. How five-star the restaurant is I don't know, but the prices are definitely five-star - quite expensive. Don't expect to get out of the restaurant for less than about $35 a person. We were not able to eat there because of our schedule.

But just across the block from the hotel is a 24-hour full-fare restaurant that is quite acceptable for the economy-minded traveler.

The chief problem that we found was that the room was not as clean as it might have been. Upon our return late in the evening, we found that the bedside table was infested with ants. Apparently there were also ladybugs in the room - we saw three - and the ants were after a ladybug that had crawled under the alarm clock and died. We were not too excited about changing rooms in the middle of the night, so we cleaned it all up and killed all the ants we could find - and got all of them but one that we found next morning. But in the process, we found an infant formula bottle under the edge of the bed that had obviously not been cleaned up. This was disconcerting to say the least, and we did report it at checkout.

Hopefully this is not a usual occurrence. So the ants and ladybugs and the formula bottle were the unwelcome surprises, along with the "valet only" policy and the high cost of the in-hotel restaurant.

However, these "unwelcomes" in no way would discourage me from staying there again should the occasion arise. I have not stayed in a comparably excellent hotel in a while.

• Liked — The excellent condition of the hotel and rooms
  • Disliked — The problems with the bugs in the rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
tgoulding, Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, December 4, 2008
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that much of your stay was pleasant and comfortable, however we were disappointed to learn of the challenges you noted in your review. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you.