“Beautiful and convenient location downtown”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
ohio
“Beautiful and convenient location downtown”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We loved the charm of the historic building and everyone we encountered was very nice and professional. The valets are very efficient. Our room was nice but it needed some attention. The bathroom was wallpapered but not by a professional. It looked tacky and pieced together. One of our double beds had such a dip in the middle of the mattress that we had to put a pillow in it to not roll into it in the middle of the night. We drank the 2 bottles of complimentary water and they were never replenished even though we stayed for 3 nights. Toiletries were not replenished either except for soap.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
We thank you for staying with us and for enjoying our historic treasure. We have taken note of your comments regarding the condition of the room, and are currently working towards correcting the problems you encountered. We do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Cody and Tevin were polite, upbeat, with warm personalities and engaging. With every encounter we were greeted by our names. I really appreciated the hospitality. The location of hotel was in a prime position. The at4ractions of interest were in walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments. We really appreciate naming the associates who went above and beyond the call of duty to make your stay a memorable one. We will pass along your comments. Thank you again and we hope you will stay with us again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stay at the Read House every time that I have the opportunity. I love to be able to walk down the street to the riverfront area and around the aquarium. The Read House has an interesting story about room 311 being haunted by a Civil War soldier. I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Of particular help were the valet parking attendants Cody and Jay. The hotel was particularly busy this week and it was obvious that the attendants were having to hustle to keep everyone moving and happy....but hustle they did and with smiles on their faces! And always being sure to ask if I needed directions. It's good to see fine young men take their duties seriously. I'll be back....soon!

Room Tip: I used Priceline to book the room and got a great rate. I was a little disappointed with the view f...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are in a splendid location here in downtown Chattanooga and the walk to the river is so relaxing. Thank you for recognizing our associates who do the hustle! They really care about our guests. And that room 311 ... google it on the internet to read her story. She has been there awhile.

Again, thanks for staying with us and we hope you will come back soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

The Valet Parking Attendants (Jay & Cody) were exceptional. I stay in hotels 150+ nights/year & have never encountered such pleasant valets. Quick, responsive to my needs, & had my car within seconds. I would stay here again, based solely on this...and the steakhouse downstairs.

Room was a bit dirty (stains on carpet & chairs).

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your glowing comments! Cody and Jay are some terrific guys who really take pride in their work. We are aware that we do have some training issues that we are addressing with regard to cleanliness of our rooms and those are being addressed.

We hope that you will stay with us again very soon!
Kentucky
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We booked last minute and had a quick stay (in by 9 PM and out by 9 AM) there. Very nice older historic hotel. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Our room was very spacious with a lounge area with TV (kids area) and our bed with a TV. Very impressed with the room. Bed was very comfortable. It is a older hotel so some of the walls, door framing were showing their age but no big deal. Seemed like plenty of street parking so we just parked for free.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
We are so glad that you found our historic treasure to your liking. Perhaps next time you can come and stay with us and stroll downtown and stay a little longer to enjoy all the sights! We are aware that we are in need of a remodel of this old hotel and are working toward that goal.

We do hope that you will come back to see us soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I like the Read House. I stayed there years ago when it was a Radisson branded hotel and have fond memories of a unique room befitting a historic property. So I was puzzled to find myself in a non-descript room, typical of any number of chain hotels. It wasn’t until later when I exited to a patio next to the pool that I realized I was in a newer annex, which would also explain the odd location of the elevator next to the fitness center, not in the grand lobby. I probably paid the least of anyone in the hotel that night, a Hotwire deal I was pretty sure would land me at the Read House. I’m not sure if that had any bearing on where I was placed.

The room itself was adequate – king bed, easy chair, a dresser that held the television with a long desktop for workspace. While small, it was not cramped at all. The view was less than desirable, a brick wall and ramp leading to the parking garage. The upside was that it was quiet and there wasn’t any street noise floating up to the 3rd floor.

I do like being further up Broad St. on a tree lined street away from the crush of tourist attractions and the surrounding hotels. My impression was that the Read House is a quieter location.

There are a couple of downsides to the Read House. Valet parking is $15/day, pricey among Chattanooga hotel properties, although it does come with in and out privileges. There’s also a lack of breakfast options. There’s a Starbucks in the lobby but I dashed across the side street to Nooga Noshery and brought back an omelet and oatmeal.

I called with questions a couple of times before my trip, and commend both Angeline and Steven for great customer service. But, there was a service glitch at checkout that was very annoying. Could I store my luggage after checkout and keep my car parked there, using the free downtown shuttle? Not a problem. That is until I went to valet and was told no. I was taken aback that they would contradict the front desk. It turns out valet is a contracted service, not part of the Sheraton, although that’s not obvious based on their duties. The valet later offered to get me free parking at one of their lots downtown and I was directed to Chestnut and 1st St. I thought that was a great service recovery. Except there is no Chestnut and 1st. I’m not sure what the mix up was, but I ended up paying for a day of parking. For the customer’s sake, everyone needs to get on the same page.

Despite the parking issue, I would stay at the Sheraton Read House again and am comfortable recommending it to others. It’s a solid 3 ½ star property that could easily be 4 stars or higher.

Room Tip: If you're going for the historic property, be sure to request a room in that section of the hote...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank William T
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in such a thorough manner. We take all comments about our Read House very seriously and work towards correcting each and every issue each guest may have.

I would like to deal with the issues that you had personally and would like to speak with you if at all possible. If you would email me at jen.prpich@sheratonreadhouse.com with your phone number or call me at 423-313-3873.

Again, thank you for your time and we do hope that you will stay with us again very soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 16, 2014

There was a very strong chemical smell when we arrived. That progressively got worse. Finally, at midnight I had to switch rooms.. I have a son with asthma who was coughing!! I can not believe what happened.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dunawth36
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us your comments regarding your stay. I would like to pursue the problem and discuss it with you. Please call me at (423) 313-3873 or by email at jen.prpich@sheratonreadhouse.com. I apologize for the problems you encountered and I would like to address the problems.

Jen Prpich, General Manager