“Nice Older Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Kentucky
“Nice Older Hotel”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We booked last minute and had a quick stay (in by 9 PM and out by 9 AM) there. Very nice older historic hotel. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Our room was very spacious with a lounge area with TV (kids area) and our bed with a TV. Very impressed with the room. Bed was very comfortable. It is a older hotel so some of the walls, door framing were showing their age but no big deal. Seemed like plenty of street parking so we just parked for free.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
We are so glad that you found our historic treasure to your liking. Perhaps next time you can come and stay with us and stroll downtown and stay a little longer to enjoy all the sights! We are aware that we are in need of a remodel of this old hotel and are working toward that goal.

We do hope that you will come back to see us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I like the Read House. I stayed there years ago when it was a Radisson branded hotel and have fond memories of a unique room befitting a historic property. So I was puzzled to find myself in a non-descript room, typical of any number of chain hotels. It wasn’t until later when I exited to a patio next to the pool that I realized I was in a newer annex, which would also explain the odd location of the elevator next to the fitness center, not in the grand lobby. I probably paid the least of anyone in the hotel that night, a Hotwire deal I was pretty sure would land me at the Read House. I’m not sure if that had any bearing on where I was placed.

The room itself was adequate – king bed, easy chair, a dresser that held the television with a long desktop for workspace. While small, it was not cramped at all. The view was less than desirable, a brick wall and ramp leading to the parking garage. The upside was that it was quiet and there wasn’t any street noise floating up to the 3rd floor.

I do like being further up Broad St. on a tree lined street away from the crush of tourist attractions and the surrounding hotels. My impression was that the Read House is a quieter location.

There are a couple of downsides to the Read House. Valet parking is $15/day, pricey among Chattanooga hotel properties, although it does come with in and out privileges. There’s also a lack of breakfast options. There’s a Starbucks in the lobby but I dashed across the side street to Nooga Noshery and brought back an omelet and oatmeal.

I called with questions a couple of times before my trip, and commend both Angeline and Steven for great customer service. But, there was a service glitch at checkout that was very annoying. Could I store my luggage after checkout and keep my car parked there, using the free downtown shuttle? Not a problem. That is until I went to valet and was told no. I was taken aback that they would contradict the front desk. It turns out valet is a contracted service, not part of the Sheraton, although that’s not obvious based on their duties. The valet later offered to get me free parking at one of their lots downtown and I was directed to Chestnut and 1st St. I thought that was a great service recovery. Except there is no Chestnut and 1st. I’m not sure what the mix up was, but I ended up paying for a day of parking. For the customer’s sake, everyone needs to get on the same page.

Despite the parking issue, I would stay at the Sheraton Read House again and am comfortable recommending it to others. It’s a solid 3 ½ star property that could easily be 4 stars or higher.

Room Tip: If you're going for the historic property, be sure to request a room in that section of the hote...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank William T
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in such a thorough manner. We take all comments about our Read House very seriously and work towards correcting each and every issue each guest may have.

I would like to deal with the issues that you had personally and would like to speak with you if at all possible. If you would email me at jen.prpich@sheratonreadhouse.com with your phone number or call me at 423-313-3873.

Again, thank you for your time and we do hope that you will stay with us again very soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 16, 2014

There was a very strong chemical smell when we arrived. That progressively got worse. Finally, at midnight I had to switch rooms.. I have a son with asthma who was coughing!! I can not believe what happened.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dunawth36
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us your comments regarding your stay. I would like to pursue the problem and discuss it with you. Please call me at (423) 313-3873 or by email at jen.prpich@sheratonreadhouse.com. I apologize for the problems you encountered and I would like to address the problems.

Jen Prpich, General Manager
Grayson, Georgia
Reviewed April 15, 2014

A historic hotel with comfortable clean rooms. However, it was unnerving to be one of a few families in the indoor pool area when there seemed to be a homeless person just sitting a table watching us. When my wife told the front desk there appeared to be a person who wasn't a guest of the hotel, she was told "You're probably right."

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with TripAdvisor. We strive to exceed expectations and it sounds like we did not in your family's case by the response of one of our Front Desk team. We do pride ourselves on the extensive training we give our Front Desk agents and be assured the problem you had will be addressed. We do hope you will return in the near future.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I reserved a Junior suite for my friend's bachelorette party last weekend. We got two queen sized beds, with a sitting room and two flat screen TVs. The beds were extremely fluffy and comfortable, comparable to a resort in Hawaii I stayed in a few years ago. The beds were set away from the door so we didn't hear much hallway traffic, even being right by the elevators. The valet parking was very quick, it really made my friend feel pampered. Cody and Jay did a wonderful job, they were friendly and unpacked our cars for us and delivered our suitcases to us in the room. We were very impressed. The water pressure in the shower was strong and we had plenty of lights and wall sockets for everyone's cell phones, hairdryers and other girly things! Not to mention the gorgeous lobby and ballrooms to tour! -- The cons: the sofabed in our room was so mangled we couldn't use it, we pulled the mattress on the floor instead. The sofa bed also did not have sheets provided in the room, which led to frustration calling the front desk at night. The receptionist didn't answer our calls on two occasions during the night. Also the door key crapped out on us two times, which isn't a big deal, but annoying when a group gets separated. However overall it was a wonderful experience and I would refer the hotel to friends!

Room Tip: Get a room with a sweet sleeper bed
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank L3G1
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. Your honesty is extremely appreciated! We are so glad that our champion valet team were able to make your stay enjoyable. We are even more overjoyed that you took the time to let us know how we didn't meet your needs. We have the process of a remodel for our hotel and the sofabeds are in that plan. We do hope that you will come back to stay with us again and let us WOW you and your friends!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment considering it's a sheraton. We booked thru priceline and this hotel was classified as 3.5 star. It was a steal, but I definitely would have paid extra money for a cleaner hotel.

Wall paints are peeling.
Rooms are moldy and dusty. Kept sneezing.
Carpet was filthy
Side of our bed mattress had huge stain
One of our towels had make up stain.
Pool was disgusting. Cloudy and rust everywhere.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we failed to make your stay with us enjoyable. We are in the process of addressing the issues that you mentioned in your review, particularly regarding the cleanliness of your room. Because even though we are an old hotel, we are striving to make it a wonderful old hotel. Just know that your comments have been passed on to our housekeeping team. We hope you will give the Sheraton Read House another shot whether it be for business, extended stay, or leisure travel.
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We like Bed and Breakfast accommodations and boutique hotels with personality. The staff was friendly, our room as expected, and the common rooms and reception areas beautiful. The ambiance of this older historic hotel added to our experience. We loved the old phone booths in the lobby, and the beautiful woodwork! My husband thought he heard rattling pipes, but I didn't hear that. Sales tax in Tennessee is higher than most states, so the added taxes reflected a costlier one-night stay (it would be the same for any Chattanooga hotel).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in our Chattanooga treasure, the Sheraton Read House. The little touches of this hotel do certainly make the difference! And, unfortunately, that Tax Man is everywhere! Gets us coming and going! Come see us again soon!