“Surprised this was a Sheraton ”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Surprised this was a Sheraton ”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

This was a disappointment. The exterior and the lobby are historic and beautiful giving you the expectation that the rest of property would be as well. However the hallways are dirty, the pool area had molding falling off the wall leaving gaping holes. The bathroom, counter and wallpaper were filthy. Little things like missing laundry bag were overlooked by staff. The tub looked original to property with years of paint slopped into it and bad caulking. The shower head and water pressure were nice. The toilet, which was similar to public restroom without a tank was extremely loud. We also fought over access to outlets to charge electronics.
Previous club lounge experiences have given us high expectations for social hour and breakfast. This did not live up to those. Drinks were warm and food was cold.
I did appreciate being downtown and the ease of access and vicinity to Starbucks. I would not stay at this property again.

Stayed April 2014
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience here at the Sheraton Read House. I apologize for the many inconveniences and the lack of service that you experienced during your stay. We are truly a great old hotel and strive to please every one of our guests! In your case, we did not.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that I can get additional details. My number is 423-313-3873.

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.
Jen Prpich, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 10, 2014

the sharation read house is nice but it is not worth the cost i have stayed at better 300.00 for weekend is a little much . the rooms are ok but nothing great . the beds are nice and soft rooms are big but that is about it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We make every effort to accommodate every guest beyond their expectations and we obviously did not in your case. We will be undergoing renovations in the future and hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were breaking up a long trip from Florida northward and decided to stay overnight in Chattanooga. The Sheraton there is on the historical registry and is a much older hotel than we are used to! We found it charming! Our 8th floor room was a suite that was a little dark for my taste but well furnished. Our stay was quiet and comfortable. The club lounge was really neat but the evening appetizers were unappetizing! The staff was very accommodating!

Room Tip: The suites were nice!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review and your feedback on your experience at the Sheraton Read House. We are taking your comments regarding the appetizers in the club lounge to heart and are looking at what we can do to improve the lounge overall.

Again, thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Really 2.5 stars. We're Starwood regulars who were excited to visit Chattanooga. GREAT location. Historic hotel with large junior suite. We could live with it needing some updates. But the lack of basics (sheets!) and service was unacceptable.

Stayed April 2014
First, thank you for your review. When we do not meet our guests' high expectations of our hotel, we seek out ways to correct the situation. In your particular case, I would like to discuss the problems you had with your stay. Please call me at (423) 313-3873 or email me at jen.prpich@sheratonreadhouse.com so that we can discuss.

Jen Prpich, General Manager
Canton, Georgia, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Normally while in Chattanooga, we stay at another local chain hotel on their rewards program. This time, even though the chain had available rooms, those rooms were not available under the rewards program. Because of this, I got a chip on my shoulder and decided that if I was going to spend real money, I’d try a different hotel; and I’m so glad I did.

I’d always been interested in the Read House just because of its appearance...and I’ve heard they have a ghost! The lobby and mezzanine are really beautiful as was our king suite on the older side of the building (we later learned that there was an addition built in the 60s). The suite was very charming with big windows that actually open, arched doorways, and the MOST comfortable hotel bed I’ve ever slept in. We ordered room service for breakfast from the onsite restaurant and it was very good ; pricey, but not much more than any other room service meal.

We were somewhat concerned that the hotel might be farther away from the ‘action’ than we wanted, but it actually provided for a nice leisurely stroll in the cool of the night after sitting at the ballgame for 2 hours. Plus, if that didn’t suit us, the free shuttle has a stop right there at the hotel.

The real stand out at the Read House, though, is the staff. We had an extremely efficient and accommodating check-in; the clerk was very friendly and respectful, not stiff or inappropriate. Plus, there was not a single employee that I passed that didn’t give a genuine smile and ‘How are you?”, or ask where we’re from, if we were in town for anything in particular, and suggest fun things to do. A lot of these employees seemed quite young, early twenties maybe, but none of them seemed as if they had been repeatedly instructed to talk to the customers; rather that they were truly proud of their town and interested in seeing us have a good time. In particular, a bell hop named Cody was very informative. We just happened to be in the elevator with him and he gave us a little history about the hotel, and told us some interesting facts about the lobby architecture. He was just a really sweet, informed, enjoyable young man.

In any case, we’ll definitely stay here again, I’ll probably buy my own Sweet-Sleeper Bed, and I suggest that all the staff be praised for doing an outstanding job.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I must say that yours is one of the nicest reviews I have ever read about our Hotel. I thank you for taking the time to be so thorough and to point out the reception and feedback you got from our staff. And that Cody! What a great guy! We are lucky to have him!

It is comments like yours that drive us to exceed our guests' expectations of what a hotel should be. We don't want people to say we could have been good if ... we want them to come away from their stay with us with glowing praise like yours of everything we do here. Keeps us going and striving for that elusive goal of perfection!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stopped into the Sheraton after the bottom part of my car (still no clue what its called!) fell off and was scratching the road. A Sheraton worker, Daniel (aaa parking) was SO amazing and helped us take off the piece and gave us advice on fixing it. He was so helpful and I am extremely grateful for his kindness! Definitely restores my faith in the world when an absolute stranger goes out of his way to help others in need. Thank you Daniel!!! :) and thank you Sheraton!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
What a nice review! Thank you for letting us know that our colleague Daniel in Valet Parking was able to go above and beyond the call of duty and help you as he did. We will pass your comments on to Daniel! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stay for 3 nights at the Read House and it was an awesome experience. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Also, the hotel is in the perfect location to get to all the local attractions. We would stay again in a heartbeat and will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive feedback and for your loyalty. I am so glad you enjoyed your accommodations and the bustling downtown Chattanooga! We hope you choose to stay with us again whether it is for business or pleasure!