“Older, historic hotel”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton Read Hotel. The hotel was recommended to us by the Chattanooga Ghost Tours and we were not disappointed (other than not getting to 'see' a ghost). A few points of mention .. this is an older property so expect the condition to be somewhat less than perfect ie .. the carpets in the hallways are older, the wallpaper in some of the areas (bathroom/hallways etc..) shows its age and some of the areas just smell 'old'. And considering it is an older, historic property ... should be exactly that. The rooms are very very very dark we noticed. Not much light at all. Didn't affect our stay at all.

The room we stayed in was room 340 and I wish they would have warned us at the front desk it is completely over the parking garage so the tile floor from bathroom was freezing (we had to lay towels on the floor from bathroom to bed) and their is no heat source in the bathroom so it was crazy cold. No hot water (lukewarm) at 11:45 pm. Called the front desk and they pretty much said 'too bad, sucks to be you'. Did have a hot shower in the morning so I guess schedule your showers accordingly if you are staying in that room in particular. We also listened to the elevator consistently (almost sounded like we were beside a service elevator). If a hotel is going to put you beside/close to an elevator then they should possibly inform their guests of this. Common courtesy I would think. If we were going to stay more than one night - I would have requested to move rooms as the elevator noise was frustrating. There was a flat screen tv, a desk and a coffee maker. The maid apparently was having a less than good day since I had to call down to the front desk to get coffee creamers/sugar as the packages that were in the tray were opened and not discarded from the previous guests. Nothing major, just an irritant. One call to the front desk and they brought some up.

Bed was super comfortable. Hotel has a well appointed fitness room and the pool seemed clean and neat. The front desk staff were polite and nice. They didn't seem to go out of their way to help you with anything but were polite nonetheless. The valet parking staff were great. Really friendly and eager to please. We ate at Porters Steakhouse in the hotel which was recommended by a valet staff member. Absolutely fantastic. Can't say enough about it.

The Silver ballroom was beautiful. Staff was setting up for a function on the evening we stayed but they had no problem with us going in and taking pictures or investigating all the neat spots in the hotel. The hotel location is great, the free shuttle was a plus.

All in all our hotel stay was okay. Would recommend visiting it for the historical portion of the hotel, not necessarily for the hotel room stay itself.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 340. Elevator noise is really bad and it is over a parking garage so the tile f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Our Sheraton Read House is on the National Registry as a historic hotel. It is a wonderful peice of amazing architecture . Thnak you for the wonderful feedback. Such detail is what we need to continue to make sure we improve.

Jen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed 11/16/13. This Read House is a little farther from the River Walk than other hotels, but we got it for a great price, so I had no complaints. We were in an end room on the 10th floor, so our room had three windows. Mostly all we could see was the other buildings of downtown, but it was nice to have that much natural light in the roo. The hotel room was a little small, but adequate for a short stay. The bathroom had a pedastal sink while pretty, is not very functional. The decor in the room is beautiful and flows with the hotel theme well. The best part was the bed. The bedding was very soft and the bed felt huge and very welcoming. My only room complaint was the noise of the air conditioning. It was hard to have a conversation in the same room when it was on. Take time to walk around the hotel and admire the lighting and ornate details, the wood work and historical information. I would definately stay again. This hotel is a very good deal.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

I also believe we have an amazing value. It is truley a one of a kind hotel. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here celebrating an anniversary. We stayed in a "deluxe jacuzzi" room. We were told there were only one of these rooms on each floor. It was a nice room, and had all the amenities promised. We were a little disappointed by the age and condition of the room and the hotel in general. I know it's a historic place and I was aware of it's age, but was led to believe that it was in much better condition. Our room was dark, with no lights at all in the entry way. The digital thermostat was broken or disconnected, meaning we had to control the one window unit manually. Not a huge deal, but I expected more from a room that runs $200/night. The bed was broken when we got to our room. Maintenance fixed it, but the fact that they left it broken was very telling. In the hallways, the carpets are dingy and the paint is peeling on the walls and ceiling. Wallpaper is poorly repaired over past damage. Things that don't affect your stay but impact your impression of the facility in general. Overall, we were happy with our stay but our expectations were far from met.

The service has been quite good, and the hotel is staffed with friendly, gracious people. The location is great. Being able to catch the free shuttle was very convenient.

This is a fine hotel in a very convenient and historic location. Just don't get your hopes up expecting something special.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Our Sheraton is known for excellence and we did not leave you with that impression. I am so sorry to have disappointed you. Please call me if I can do anything to make it up to you.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel was much nicer than I expected. Older properties can be short on amenities and rooms tend to be small. That was definitely not the case for this hotel. Very interesting property, also. If you get the chance go to the lobby and read the history of the hotel. We booked on Hotwire and stayed in room 414. It must be a king suite and was much larger than I expected with a living room and bedroom. The bathroom was a little small, but was efficiently laid out. Our room had two, new flat panel TV's and the bed was very comfortable. Wifi access was free, very easy to log onto, and was fast. There was a little bit of road noise, but that is to be expected when staying in a downtown area where the buildings echo sound around for miles, but nothing that kept me awake. The area surrounding the property was nice with several excellent restaurants within walking distance. The Blue Water Grill has excellent food and service. Staff of both the hotel and restaurant were very friendly and genuinely wanted to make sure we were happy. I would definitely stay at the hotel again and eat at the Blue Water again. .

Room Tip: Ask for a king suite. Room 414 was very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug G

We are so glad you enjoyed the historic beauty of our Read House. It is one of a kind. From the walnut in the lobby to the silver in the ballroom. Each day I come in I am still in aw of its grandure. See you again soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My stay at the Read House was extremely comfortable. I was upgraded to what I believe they refer to as a junior suite which it seems is the majority of the rooms in the older part of the hotel. This was a two room suite with lots of space. The biggest plus was the extremely comfortable bed. Yes, Sheraton's advertise their "sweet sleeper" beds and they are, generally, comfortable at all locations I have stayed but the bed at the Read House was a step above. The room was clean and quiet. In the past when I have stayed at the Read House, even if it was fairly full, it has always been quiet and never felt full. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is great there is a Starbucks in the lobby and, if you are looking for a good steak, the restaurant, while expensive, is very good (and the menu is also available through room service).

The only warning is that the bathrooms are small. This is a historic building - it served as a hospital during the Civil War. While the renovations they have done have made the rooms very nice and comfortable, they were not able to make very large bathrooms. They are clean and functional but there are not much in the way of counters to put even a cup on.

Overall, a very nice location with extremely comfortable rooms in the heart of downtown Chattanooga.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us. See you agian soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Sheraton Read House Hotel is an old hotel that has been renovated, you should be aware of that before booking. The restaurant is excellent and the Starbucks is quite handy. The rooms are of varying size due the age of the original building.

What I am most pleased with is the customer service. The room I was originally given was quite small. When I asked about it at the front desk, they upgraded my room free of charge. Angelene assisted me and her service was above and beyond. Thanks to the Sheraton and Angelene for an excellent experience.

Room Tip: There is noise at night if your room faces the street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Excellence is what our Sheraton Read House strives for and we are so excited that you loved your stay.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We found this hotel on the internet on a Friday night. While on the road we decided to stop and find a place to rest before a 400 mile drive the next day. My husband went here with his family as a kid so we excitedly decided to stay there. We booked online. The location was great, in downtown Chattanooga with many things within walking distance. However when we arrived, we could not find a large parking area so we parked on the side of the street near the front door. All of the doors to the hotel were locked, it was drizzling and cold outside. We went around three corners, three different blocks trying to get in. We finally found a guest who had a key and we got in. The man working the front desk was rude, distanced and acted as if we were a burden and interrupting him. He was unaccomodating. We got our room and the view was terrible. I understand that this was a late-night booking and the room was around $100. But I didn't assume the hotel was full. When we got to the room we tried to turn on the TV but it was not working. I had to call for someone to fix it. A gentleman did arrive and fix the TV. The interiors, however, were pleasing to the eye and fairly clean. The hotel has historical charm as well. You may have better luck that we did. If so, enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cabanajulz

Our Sheraton is known for such excellence and we did not achieve this for you at all. I am horrified. Thank you for taking hte time to share your feedback. Also if there is anything I can do to make it up to you, please call me at 423-313-3873. You certianly should not have had that type of experience.