“Disorganization” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Disorganization”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Prior to my 2002 retirement, I stayed at the Read House a number of times and found it to be a nice hotel. It seems that somewhere around 2004 it joined the Sheraton family. Sheraton runs decent hotels, and I assumed that it would be as good as ever, or possibly a little better.
In September of 2013, my partner and I took an American Queen Cruise from Chattanooga to Saint Louis that included a one night pre-cruise stay at this very hotel. Due to some rotten flying weather, we did not arrive until 1:30am. Our room was up to Sheraton standards except that the air conditioning did not work. We were so tired that we decided to crash rather than complain.
The Cruise operator had made arrangements to have the hotel pick up the passengers’ luggage in their rooms the following morning. We were told to have it ready by 8am, which we did. At 5 minutes before noon, it still had not been picked up. Since the drop dead check out time was 12 noon, we left our room with our luggage and ran all over the hotel asking employees where to take it. Each gave us a different answer or did not know. We finally got it to the right place. Everything in this hotel seemed to be highly disorganized.
Finally I must comment about the food. The cruise company had set up a meeting room for the boat’s passengers’ breakfast. It was catered by the hotel. I helped myself to a cup of coffee, a sausage patty and a biscuit with gravy. The Coffee was fine, the biscuit and sausage were room temperature, and the gravy was refrigerator cold. I decided that I would wait until lunch to eat. On the way out I stopped by to top off my coffee cup, only to find out they had run out of coffee.
By lunch time we were both hungry and went to a place in the hotel called “Porter's”. I ordered what the menu called a “pulled pork barbeque sandwich”. About 35 to 40% it consisted of a single piece of fatty pork skin. The remainder was inedible gristle. I was born in north Georgia, and spent most of my life in that region. This was the only barbeque pork sandwich I could not eat, and I had to pay $10.50 for it.
I am usually not one to complain, and generally tend to show my dissatisfaction by not returning to an unsatisfactory place. If I ever return to Chattanooga, I will find a hotel other than the Sheraton Read House and a restaurant not named “Porter's”.
It is a shame that Starwood Hotels (owner of Sheraton) allows their name on such a poorly run hotel. It is a well located, and appears to be structurally sound. I don’t have a clue as to why this historic property is so poorly run.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jhboman
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Our Sheraton Read House is known for its excellent service and we do not deliver it that day. I am so sorry you had such a poor experience and most glad you took the time to share your comments. We took them very seriously and definatly put measures in place to ensure that does not happen again. If I can do anything to make it up to you, please call me at 423-313-3873.

Jen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Hapeville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

An older remodeled hotel in downtown Chattanooga. Very convenient to the Tennessee Aquarium area either by walking or via local shuttle bus. My wife and I have stayed multiple times at the Read House and will return. The room has a very nice bed and the other amenities were inline with our expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
The Sheraton Read House is a wonderful place to stay and in a great location, so that you can experience our wonderful city with ease! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We love to hear about our guest's experiences, as we take a lot of pride in our hotel. We are glad to know that you and your wife continue to return to us, since there are many places that you can stay instead. We appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to having you with us again. If there is anything that you may need, please feel free to contact me directly at 423-313-3873.

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I arrived on a bus with a tour group of about 30. It was no surprise; the hotel had known of our coming for weeks. Still, they were unprepared for our arrival. I sat in the lobby from 3:15 until 5:45 before they could assign me a room. While I waited, I heard from others in our group. One person arrived in her room to find the bed nicely made, but under the bed there was an old pizza box, and also some screws that had fallen out of the bed frame. Another lady asked the front desk personnel for decaf for her room's coffee maker. She was told to go back to her room and phone Catering. She did. They told her that the coffee is available at the front desk. The real capper: Between the bus and the lobby, one poor guy's wheelchair disappeared.

There was a representative from the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce who played the role of concierge. He did his best to be helpful, but he was not a hotel employee. If there was a real concierge, I never saw him.

The hotel is beautiful. Our room was really a suite, with a flat-screen TV in each room. The bathroom walls are real marble.

Room Tip: Choice? I had to wait 2 1/2 hours to get any room at all.
2 Thank Wrasfish
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
The Sheraton Read House is an amazing historic hotel with beautiful walnut detail in the lobby. I am so glad you enjoyed the building, but am equally horrified at your experience as this is not at all what we are known for and certainly should have never happen. Thank you so much for sharing your specific observations. We have met as a team and are working to ensure that this never happens again. Although I can not go back in time to undo your bad day we caused, I would love to make it up to you in some way. Please call me on my cell phone at 423-313-3873.
Washington State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel does not know how or does not have the wherewithal to handle big groups. Although they had over a hundred people arrive after 3:00PM the rooms were not ready and they had not system for notifying guests when they could check-in or how long the wait would be. The hotel is old but has been redone . The help seemed overwhelmed and inexperienced. This was the second Sheraton we stayed at during our trip and both experiences were dismal. I believe the blame lies with the Sheraton Hotels and their lack of training and systems.

1 Thank CMFtraveler
Our Sheraton Read House host many large groups and concentions every year. The experience you describe is not one we normally hear about and should have never happened. I am so sorry we did not handle your group well. Please call me if I can do anything to make it up to you at 423-313-3873.
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was here with three ladies attending a conference at the convention center. We easily walked the two blocks down and enjoyed the lack of traffic in this spot. It's probably seven blocks from the river so things aren't as crowded as they are closer to the water. We also walked down to the restaurants by the water and didn't feel like that was a long walk. So for location I say it was a good spot. However, if you have kids there is a Residence Inn that is actually the perfect spot for walking to all the fun things.

The lobby of the hotel was neat, but how much time do you actually spend in the lobby of a hotel? For us, it was to check in and then we didn't see it again.

The room was clean and adequate. A/C worked, good hair drier that was not attached to the wall so we could use it outside the bathroom while another person took a shower. The shower curtain could have been better. It was too short so the shower flooded the floor with all three of our showers. Lucky for us we were only there for one night so we were out the door after showers anyway.

I'd stay again if I needed to!

1 Thank ac6804
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
The Sheraton Read House is in a great location to experience the many great places in downtown Chattanooga. And if the weather isn't pleasant for a walk or you have children with you, we are also located on the complimentary electric shuttle line that can take you to the river and to the Convention Center. We are looking forward to a soft renovation of our rooms in the near future and thank you for your input. It is important to us what you, the guest, find important and essential during your time with us. Your feedback allows us to plan better for the future. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will back to stay with us again. If there is anything that you may need, please feel free to contact me directly at 423-313-3873.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I have quite a busy work schedule and were only able to stay at the Sheraton Read House in Chattanooga for night. This one night trip was for our one year wedding anniversary. a few days before we arrived I spoke with the supervisor named Spencer and had it all planned out; a king bed suite for 160 (not bad for as swanky as the place is). Spencer, along with the help of Ken, ordered flowers for my wife and a cheese/fruit/crackers plate (provided by the in house restaurant called Porters) to be in wait by the time we arrived. I thought this was incredible service, but I was surprised by a phone call on the way to the Read House by Ken...they had upgraded us to one of their suites with a jacuzziand bigger room for the same price! We hada wonderful night, breakfast in bed (Eggs Benedict from Porters, absolutely delicious) and are now sad to go.I will always go tothe Sheraton Rwad House whenever my wife and I are in Chattanooga! Thank you, Sheraton!

We, at the Sheraton Read House Hotel love to hear stories such as yours! We take pride in making sure that every single one of our guests has an excellent stay. Ken and Spencer are both a great asset to our family and I appreciate you taking the time to recognize them! I am happy to hear that your anniversary was special and that we were able to help. I look forward to having you both with us again when your travels bring you back to Chattanooga!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was a quick getaway for the weekend. The hotel prices was great and the service was wonderful. The location to different attractions in the downtown area was in walking distance. The rooms was very spacious (the bathroom was a little small) and the beds was so comfortable we overslept for checking out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The Sheraton Read House is the perfect place for a quick getaway! Wonderfully placed in Downtown Chattanooga, you are able to experience our great city without the hassle! I am so glad to hear of your excellent stay with us and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon! If you need anything, please feel free to contact me directly at 423-313-3873.