“faded glory and poor management”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Asheville, North Carolina
“faded glory and poor management”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Hotel only has Valet parking which we were persuaded was the way to go, because parking anywhere else, even though is was Friday after parking meter hours, "might cost us an overnight fee of $5". We later discovered this is not true. We assumed, since it is the only option, that parking was part of our room fee and we were surprised to find a $15,- plus tax on our bill the next morning. But worse was the general management of the place: we were first put into a miserable run-down room next to the elevator and the ice machine. Requesting something more quiet we were moved a few rooms down, which was still grimy and run down but more quite. In the morning, we could not for the life of us discover how the switch the water from the faucet to the shower head. It took three calls to reception to finally learn that the trick was to pull the little ring on the bottom of the faucet which looks like part of it down, by which time we had gotten dressed and just wanted out of there. Also, every time we used the elevator, we ran into maintenance workers and housekeeping carts and overall we felt more of a bother than guests. We chose the location because it was listed as the closest to down town. This is not true: There are a bunch of hotels closer which we will try out next time. A good word for Angeline would checked us out and issued a credit for that parking fee. She was very friendly but being the first person to do so, we had already decided that was our last stay there!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Petra E
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Our Sheraton Read House has excellent associates and we are glad you met Angelene as she is a gem. I am so sorry the rest of your stay was not a good one. Our Read House prides itself on excellence and your comments help us continue to get better and stay that way. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Following our wedding reception I took my new bride to room 1008 which is the presidential suite. Upon entry to the room we discovered that there was no air conditioning. We called the front desk who sent a maintenance man who said that this was due to a lack of vents in the room and he politely provided us with some fans. I was clearly upset that this is how I would be spending my wedding night so I went to the front desk to see if we could be moved to another room regardless of size as long as it had air conditioning. However I was promptly told that the hotel was sold out. The rude and unhelpful shift manager Dennis offered no apology or solution to this problem. After 15 minutes of rude banter from Dennis I asked if there were any near by hotels that had air conditioning. He told me that the only place with availability was outside the city of Chattanooga. The building itself is pretty but the staff of the read house is rude and inconsiderate even minutes after we spent a significant amount of money on a wedding at their establishment. Based on the poor customer service I would not recommend hosting an event at the Sheraton Read House.

1 Thank Skizziah
Our Sheraton Read House is known for having amazing events. Your wedding was spectaular and we are glad your enjoyed the wedding and reception. I am horrified about your experience on your wedding night. Its meant to be a magical time and I am sorry we did not deliver for you. We have repaired the ac and I thank you for sharing your comments to help us improve. Please call me if I can be of any furher assistance.

Warm Regards,
Jen
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Read House on a weekend getaway. From the moment we set foot on the property, it is clear that service is a top priority. As other reviews have mentioned, Timmy approached our car quickly and was gregarious and informative as gave us a mini history lesson on the property as he led us to the front desk. The front desk check-in process was a breeze, and we were quickly in our room. I realized I had not mentioned to the valet desk our room number, and when I called down there the bag was quickly brought up to our room, again by Timmy. He even went and got us a full bucket of ice. THAT is service.

The beds were comfortable and the furniture in our room seemed in good repair (unlike other reviews). Overall, I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a weekend trip in Chattanooga.

One minor point of needed attention: as mentioned in other reviews, there is a large tile gap in the back wall of the pool that is alarming. I quickly avoided that area when I spotted it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wbutler82
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a unique hotel, rich with history and character. Apparently character does not stop with the building but it is in the staff as well. When my husband and I arrived the young men in valet Taylor and Roy, greeted us with the enthusiasm and service we needed after a long day's travel. We didn't require any help with luggage but were still escorted to the front desk which was pleasantly comforting. Upon entering you are immersed in a grand lobby with a well preserved antiquity to it. Check in was quick and all smiles from the desk staff. Our room was nice and clean. The bed was AMAZING! I did however feel that the bathroom was a little small and there was nowhere to place any of our personal toiletries. Although our stay was not long we were thoroughly impressed with the Read House and Chattanooga as well. We would recommend this hotel and hope to get a chance to stay longer.

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This structure and location is truly a gem for a city the size of Chattanooga so my comments are hopeful that Starwood will put some serious reno dollars into bringing this property up to today's standards. The room furniture was very dated and the chairs a bit dirty. That being said the staff was exceptional and as an SPG elite member I was very impressed. The front desk staff was friendly but the real surprise was the valet staff. Great attitudes and always willing to make sure you had the best information before heading out. A standout was 'Timmy' who should be tapped by Starwood as a trainer & motivator to its other properties. This guy represents the term "customer service" and is hopefully recognized by mgmt. as a standout. When we first arrived out popped from a car this guy who knew by our walking in an adjacent ally we were heading for food---he immediately engaged us and even walked us around the corner to make sure we knew where to go. This went far beyond "southern hospitality" to what it means to make customer experience part of your own brand. He even made a point to come shake our hands on the morning of our departure back to Calif. WOW....as someone who spends nearly 75/nts per year in hotels for nearly 20-years this never happens. Timmy even gave us great dining advice and we loved it so much we ate their two nights in a row. Check out Tony's if you love great pasta.
So...if I were back in Chattanooga in spite of the hotel conditions I'd most likely return to this property knowing the staff will deliver above the shortcomings of the facility.

Room Tip: Wifi on end rooms doesn't work well---as we discovered and had to move to a new room. Even the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian D
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hospitality was second to none, nothing was too much to ask and all the staff were very polite and charming. The building itself is beautiful with a great deal of character and ideally placed in Chattanooga. The beds were heavenly as most Starwood Hotels. However we were disappointed by the state of the room: it was drab and dark with a musty smell. I don't think it had seen any fresh air for months. We were in a suite on the 8th floor and stayed for 6 nights. For 2 of the nights we elected to take the Green Option ie, no change of linen or towels. However I didn't think that meant that nobody came in to the room at all. We ran out of toilet paper and the water wasn't replenished. Despite this, I would still return as I love the brand and the hospitality, and just hope that a refurbishment is on the cards soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have stayed in hotels for more than 50 nights in the last 6 months all across the US. The service here is arguably the best I'be had. Johnny, Timmy and Bethany were excited to see us and were fast efficient and friendly yet professional. This is our second visit to the property and we'll be back. Great property! Great city!

2 Thank StuartWas