“Great experience! Great service!”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Great experience! Great service!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our great experience started upon arrival at the Read House. The young man at the valet, Jonny, was so friendly and so helpful. He gave us a brief history of the hotel and took our luggage out of the car and up to our room for us. He went above and beyond the normal valet service. Everyone in the hotel was so friendly and made our stay so enjoyable. Our room was vet clean, and the beds are very comfortable. I just wish they had refrigerators in them. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Manchester, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My new boyfriend and I recently took a 5-day trip to Chattanooga, TN.

The Sheraton Read House was a lovely, highly efficient and COMFORTABLE accomodation.

I write this review because we drove a huge diesel pick-up truck, and I was afraid to trust it in the hands of the valet service. He, however, was fine with it... so we did.

I must say, these valets all worked harder than any young men I have ever seen!!! It must have been about 98 degrees and they were running and moving cars during check in and out and every moment in-between with courtesy and professionalism.

Although all of the valets were excellent, I would like to point out the outstanding young men we had the pleasure of dealing with more than others: Jonny Pereira was so on top of things, I actually asked him for his full name to write this review. He seemed to have a sixth sense as to what we needed, he had outstanding knowledge of the hotel services and local hot spots, as well as the local historic sites. Our truck was always there within a minute when we came down, etc.

Timmy and Taylor were also outstanding.

Thank you for a great time, Read House!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Flintstone, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel was an excellent location for my family for our reunion. The staff was friendly and exceptionally professional. Timmy in valet was great with assisting moving all the stuff we brought upon arrival and with loading on departure. Spenser at front desk was great with solving issues. One particular of a few issues was mini moon pies that I was to receive from the Chattanooga Convention Center came up missing. He was able to get them replaced. Our housekeeper to which I missed getting her name was excellent also. Also, the banquet staff was excellent and the food was awesome and just delicious.
The most impressive thing about this hotel is there were two other family reunions besides mine going on this same weekend. They coordinated well. Any of a few mishaps that came up were resolved professionally.
My guests were impressed with the historical beauty of the Sheraton Read House. We also enjoyed the Presidental Suite on the 10th floor. I was able to host a Presidential Reception for my guests since the space was large, roomy and nice.
I definitely recommend this hotel for any event.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
alabama
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Got this hotel as a priceline bid, so we did not really have a choice. There were too many things wrong. The chair in the bedroom was so spotted and stained I was afraid to sit in it. The tub badly needs relining- it had many chipped spots. The hallways are just rundown. The room marked "Ice and Vending" had only ice. I called down to the front desk 3!!! times to get an extra luggage rack before I finally got one. Then we called down the next day for a washcloth since the maid took them and did not replace them. We never got a washcloth. The only positive thing about this hotel was the location downtown. It was convenient. The Starbucks in the lobby had several homeless people asleep on the sofas.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Our Sheraton Read House is known for its high quality and we have faliled for you. I am so sorry as I would be upset as well. Please call me at 423-313-3873 as i would love to be able to make it up to you in some way. Thank you for your feedback.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

It has been a few years since I reviewed the Sheraton-operated historic Read House hotel in Chattanooga. A recent visit prompts me to take another look at it and offer some comments. Since it is a downtown destination hotel close to the business and cultural area, and because it is a historic hotel, I’ll spend some time with this review. This property was well-renovated some years ago by the Sheraton system. The lobby, mezzanine and exterior of the hotel are wonderful and quite attractive, consistent with the historic heritage.

There are only two elevators so at certain times, it can take a few minutes to get an elevator and the door may open to a full one that you can’t use.

Security is unobtrusive but exterior ground floor doors are open to all surrounding streets, so I trust they keep an eye on who enters and leaves. I felt safe and secure during my stay, and as well, walking around the general area surrounding the hotel and downtown.

Perhaps it is a good point to say that the location of the hotel is convenient to a lot of things. There is an inexpensive café practically across the street that is open 24 hours. There are other restaurants in a two to three block range. The main arts/cultural/food district is a relatively easy walk of seven to ten blocks or there is a city-provided free trolley that begins early in the morning and continues to late night and that stops right at the hotel. Jump on the trolley and ride to wherever you are going. It is very easy and very convenient and the drivers are very helpful. The hotel has a trolley map available for the asking. If you are attending an event at the Tivoli Theatre, it is only two blocks away. Events at the Memorial Auditorium will require a long six-block walk uphill, or a five-minute drive and paid parking on the other end. Or you could catch the shuttle and ride it down to 7th Street and walk four blocks uphill (my choice).

Parking: all “on-site” parking is valet without any other option and is $15 per day with in and out privileges. The on-site parking is secure. Street parking is limited during the daytime to 2 hours but overnight it is both free and not limited as to time, as well as on the weekends. About a block away is a commercial parking deck that may be cheaper. I elected to use the hotel valet service because I considered that the car would be protected and more secure. I then found out they use “off-site” parking for overflow in nearby lots where the security is non-existent. As well, parking is operated by an independent company, which probably allows the hotel to shield itself from responsibility and liability if there are any problems at all.

Both check-in and check-out were quick and easy. Checkout is possible via in-room video on your television. The reservation was correct and we were upgraded to a suite without our requesting it. We arrived in the room to find it a suite.

Due to this historic nature of the hotel, the layout of the rooms is restricted to the permanent walls therefore some rooms can be smaller than one might be used to in a higher-end facility. This also leads to the issue with the elevators. Our room, being a suite, was quite spacious and quite acceptable. There were two televisions but one of them would not turn on though we checked all connections and attempted to turn it on at the set. The bed was comfortable, the pillows fluffy and soft, almost too soft. There was an alcove (in the suite) for the coffee service and complimentary bottles of water. It was furnished with a mirror and turned out to be quite useful as an extra place to use for getting groomed while the bathroom mirror was in use by the other person. Power outlets are limited and their location is not convenient. It is not possible to charge your phone while it sits on the table next to the bed and it is not easy to charge your laptop while using it on the bed. There was plenty of light.

One complaint: we arrived in 90 degree weather to find the curtains open and the temperature set to a humid and uncomfortable 77 degrees. Despite re-setting it ten degrees downward, the room never became really cool, even overnight. It was positively uncomfortable when we arrived and took some time to cool down to even an acceptable level. My suggestion to management is that if you know a room is going to be used by guests, do them the courtesy of at least trying to cool down the room before they arrive.

My partner walked around barefoot in the morning and then complained that the carpet was dirty because of the deposit left on the feet. It was not stained, but certainly needs a deep cleaning.

The bathrooms are not large, one of those things dictated by the historical layout, and there’s not a lot of counter space. But there is a two-level shelf and a delightful basket screwed to the wall of the shower/tub for soap and shampoo. Excellent idea. Lighting was good but as with many bathrooms, there is no exhaust fan. The water drains very slowly from tub and from sink. The water pressure in the sink is excellent, in the shower only fair. The commode looks, operates, and sounds like a commercial bathroom rather than a hotel room. One would not dare flush the thing at night for fear of waking up neighbors.

As far as sound extrusion, we heard nothing from nearby rooms or from above. However, doors slamming in the hallway were quite audible, probably through the now-closed-off transom, and street noise was intrusive, though the city calms down at night. We were able to sleep well.
The internet was fast and intuitive for me to connect, though I never found instructions for how to do it.

All in all, this is a very good hotel that needs some attention in some specific areas, some of them (carpet cleaning, inoperable TV) easy, and some of them (drainage, outlet availability) perhaps not so easy. The parking is a concern but perhaps not as much so as in a less-safe-feeling city.

All in all, ours was an enjoyable stay and this is certainly a reasonably priced facility to which I will return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nighthawk416
What an excellently written review. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night in the Sheraton Read House. The lobby was beautiful and the valets were very nice and efficient. Those are the only good things about the hotel. The room was old, furniture was outdated, the air conditioning system was not functioning properly and we were very hot most of the night. The bathroom was very small and run down. The wall paper was peeling, the tile floors were very dirty, the finish on the bathtub was chipping and worn the sink was a pedestal sink and had no room for toiletries or even a toothbrush. There were 2 towels, that was it. We ate at Porters, the steakhouse in the hotel. The menu was impressive but it had Ruth's Chris pricing but certainly not the same quality, not even close. My filet was cold, the lobster tail was over cooked and the service was not great. They did have a really good wine selection though.

We expressed our concerns to the front desk at check out but they were clearly unconcerned about our issues since the 3 couples that checked out in front of us had major problems as well. We paid $175 for our room through Expedia. This hotel was a bad choice. We will never recommend this hotel and we certainly will not ever stay at The Sheraton Read House again. I have no desire for a room refund but I would love to have my $160 back from a dinner that was mediocre at best and only worth around $30.00.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel so I don't think there are any tips to find a good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Our Sheraton Read House is known for excellence and we did not achieve that for you at all. The only way we get better is by comments like yours, so thank you. I would love to refund your dinner as Porters is known to be top notch and we rarely here of a bad experience. Please call me at 423-313-3873.
Marietta, GA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Location was nice with the trolley right across the street. Room was nice, but there was a newer type of thermostat on the wall that was deactivated, so we had to use the old kind by the window. We had to set the thermostat on 67 or 66 to get the temp to 76. (We both had temperature gauges on our alarms.) Front desk staff was polite but we had to be called 3 times to get an extra luggage rack. Never did get the washcloth I requested when I left a message on the Housekeeping Manager's recording. Wi Fi is spotty in the rooms. Starbucks is in the hotel. Very pretty historical building. We were in the newer part because apparently there are no rooms with 2 beds in the historical part. I found a yellow raisin on the carpet. (At least I think that's what it was! I didn't inspect it.) We got a good deal on the room, but then had to add $15/day for parking. We both had cars, so then the room wasn't really as good of a price.

Room Tip: I was told there are no rooms with 2 beds in the historical part of the building, so if you are hopi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Our Sheraton Read House is not happy with good as we strive for excellence. I am so sorry you did not have a flawless experience as we have planned for you. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as we will learn and get better.