“Awsome Character”

Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Awsome Character”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Spent one night with friends at this property and loved the historic character and charm. The lobby was most impressive. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. Service was great. Was told they will be soon be remodeling the rooms. Will definitely be back. Great find.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Our Sheraton Read House does have an incredible lobby. The walnut is origanl to the 1926 build. Its amazing. So glad you had an excellent time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Reviewed July 5, 2013

First we didn't have to carry our bags AT ALL thanks to the Valet service , but one of them stood out to me the most the Valet Cody he went up and out of his way to get me eating utensils , napkins , when my key messed up he was more than happy to help us and take us back up to our room when we forgot where to go, and when we needed somewhere to eat he was quick to print out and suggest places. The valet was one of the best I've ever experienced. And the rooms were nicely cleaned and the front desk was so friendly and easy to talk to. I honestly believe this hotel is more than a five star experience

• Stayed July 2013
We are so glad you had an excellent time. Cody is wonderful. We will celebrate your compliments with the team.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Let me preface this by saying I have been a Starwood Platinum member for 10 years and have never written a negative review about any of their properties. However, I write this so that people will think twice before staying at this property as it looks really great on the Internet but the reality is quite different. Let’s start with the good. The Valet was very nice and even pointed out a great local restaurant for a quick bite. The person who checked us in was nice, however, didn’t offer a Platinum upgrade even though the hotel seemed pretty empty. Now, the bad. When we got to our room, the first thing I noticed was that the shelf and hanger rod in the closet was coming out of the wall on one end (I have pictures). This is something that housekeeping must have seen every day and never an excuse not to fix something so easy. It would have made it impossible to hang clothes or use the shelf had we wanted to. We then got a knock on our door and a housekeeping person came in and took our glassware and left us with plastic cups. We asked why he was doing this and he said he was told to. Later at the front desk I asked why they took the glassware and replaced with plastic cups and was told that he had no idea and would check. Later, he told me that all Sheratons were replacing their glasses (really, sounds strange to me). But, wouldn’t you buy the new glasses to replace the old ones instead of leaving plastic cups? Multiple times on both days we were there we tried to call the operator and guest services and no one ever picked up. And, yet, the hotel didn’t seem full and there was never anyone at the front desk in line when we went by. We even tried calling from our cells to the hotel’s number and still no one picked up. There was trash (I have pictures) in the hallway and the housekeeper was right next door and must have had to walk by it but didn’t pick it up. It stayed there all day. When we received our bill, there was a $50 charge on it and we had used points. I went down and at first the front desk person said it was a credit and I showed him that it was not and that my card had been charged. He said he would check into it. When I went to check out, he said that the manager said I would need to call SPG Platinum desk because they were showing that I did cash and points award. I explained that I could show him the reservation and he offered to get the manager but we were running late and had to go. So, I called SPG today and they said that didn’t make any sense as my reservation was clearly points and I should not have been charged anything. Further, they said the hotel should have taken care of it. She offered to call them while I was on the line and a few minutes later came back and said that she couldn’t get them to pick up either. I told her this was our experience the entire time we were there. She said that she would keep trying and e-mail me as soon as she talked to the manager. Bottom line, while this is in an historic building and the public spaces are lovely, the rooms are dated and not in good repair and the service is not good at all. It felt like no one was actually running this hotel. I’ve stayed at Four Points that were far better. I would not recommend that you stay here. If you do, keep your expectations low.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Our Sheraton Read House is known for its superior service, which you did not receive at all. I am so sorry. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as this is how we improve.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the hotel recently for business (6/25). The rooms are very outdated, dirty, and in need of serious rehab. In addition, I was bit by bed bugs and had to throw away basically everything in my possession. I woke up with bites all over my legs. This was a first for me and needless to say very distraught. I made sure the front desk was aware. I am an avid business / leisure traveler and thankfully have never been exposed to something this horrible. In hindsight, I'm not surprised given the cleanliness of the room (bed linens not fresh, carpet ripped and coming up from floor, window a/c unit not working properly, bathtub glaze peeling up, etc, etc.). Please consider this rating a serious warning and look elsewhere when visiting Chattanooga.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian R
I am so sorry you had such a poor experience with us. I would also be upset if I had the same. These are not at all the normal experiences we here about here at our Sheraton and I would love the chance to try to make it up wo you. Please call me at 423-313-3873.
Warm Regrads,
Jen
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed 4 nights while on vacation with family. Good first impression, very nice lobby. The hallway leading to room was dark, wallpaper peeling, old carpeting. The room itself was ok, just everything looked old, the bathroom grout was dirty and could see a few holes which were poorly patched up. The free shuttle has a stop right outside the hotel which is a plus. Not terrible but I'm sure there are better choices in such a great city.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Our Sheraton Read House is a historic gem that is in the heart of the city. I am so sorry you did not have an excellent exerpeice as that is what we strive to do. Please call me if I can do anything at 423-313-3873. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and suggestions.
Atlanta
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton for a meeting last week and found it adequate at best. The hotel is dated and dark overall. It's location- away from the Riverfront - is suboptimal for tourists. We were in the older part of the hotel and updating is needed.The bathroom was quite small as well. The gym is tiny and there is only an indoor pool. There is furniture outside but some of the wooden seats were broken and in need of repair.Overall, the staff was nice and friendly. However, our room was not cleaned for 2 days and the first evening we could only get towels brought up. The second evening ,with more aggressive complaining, housekeeping did come by. I have not stayed in other hotels in Chattanooga but suspect (and hope!!)there better places to stay in this charming city.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in "less old" part of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
The Sheraton Read House is in a really cool town I agree. I am horrified that you had a disappointing stay as that is not at all what we are about. We appreciate your comments as we take them very seriously. Not only do I review them, but our owners do too. We are committed to continue to make the Read House a historic lankmark far into the future.
Warm Regards,
Jen
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just spent the last 4 nights at the Read House in Chattanooga for our sons wedding and could not have been more impressed. The hotel reminds me of the Peabody in Memphis, older but sophisticated. The staff at any hotel makes or breaks ones experience and the staff at the Read House was spot on. The location is perfect as everything downtown is within easy walking distance. The wedding reception was here in the Silver Ballroon and the preparations made were first class. Marlena, the sales manager that arranged our block of rooms, truly went out of the way to make all of our out of town guests comfortable. This is a must hotel if you are travelling to Chattanooga.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the original tower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Our Sheraton Read House is an incredible treasure. I am so glad you had a great time and you enjoyed our Gem in the heart of the City.