“Good job Heidi, good job...”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #22 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed January 10, 2013

On December 15th 2012, after 10 hours of driving with our dog on board, tired and hungry we pulled into valet parking of this hotel.
It was our second stay there because of pet friendly status and convenient location on our annual trip South.
When I took our dog for a walk around the block ( despite heavy rain ) my husband grabbed the reservation page and jumped out to make check-in. Reservation was made under my name but we share the same last name, address, credit card number ....
He wasn't able to do this. Rude lady at the front desk ( Heidi ) without: "welcome", smile or even eye contact asked for my ID. So he went out despite the rain, found me, took my ID and went back.
Guess what? This time front desk person with irritation in her voice told my husband that she needs both: my ID and me personally.
So a few minutes later she's got what she asked for: my physical presence, my ID, and now my first ever review on this site.
We travel a lot and we understand that world is not perfect, things happen but such a luck of hospitality and an arrogance is unacceptable.
We will never again stay in Sheraton in Chatanooga.

5  Thank Anna K
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Our Sheraton Read House is known for its southern hospitality in a beautiful historic building located in the heart of downtown. I am so sorry you did not experience this service we are known for, as this is completely unacceptable. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback as we take it very seriously and will certainly press to improve. If I can do anything to make up for this, please let me know. We do hope you will give us a try again in the future however I understand if that is not the case. My sincerest apology agian, Jen

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary and LOVED it. The hotel was much nicer than I expected, but still had rustic charm of an old hotel. The Starbucks downstairs was great and we didn't need our car because everything was so close by. We will definitely be staying again when we are in Chattanooga.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank kczap
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

The Sheraton Read House is an amazing historic hotel in the heart of Chattanooga. We are so glad you had a great time. My favorite is the Starbucks too. We hope to see you again.
Warm Regards,
Jen

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I wanted a weekend getaway and ended up at the Read House Hotel. It was in a great location near lots of things to do and good restaurants. Parking was semi difficult. You can valet but it is pricey. You can park on the street and pay the meters which Are free on the weekends (thanks to a hotel staff member for sharing that tip!)

The rooms were nice and you can tell the hotel has had renovations. We were thrilled with our stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EllenM0rgan
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We only stayed here for 1 night, not enough time for Chattanooga, it was just a stop-over for us. Booked the hotel through priceline, no problems checking in, as usual with priceline we had a king room, but there was no hassle changing it to a double room, queens I believe. Free wifi, but no free breakfast or parking, parking was valet at $12. For breakfast I’d recommend heading over the bridge to Aretha’s [nice, small little restaurant, good omelettes, and give coffee-to-go]. Room was nice, no problems with, nice comfy beds. The hotel lobby was decorated festively for Christmas, and free newspapers in the lobby as well. There’s a fitness centre, which we didn’t use.

1  Thank emmaxoxo
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed over night in a Jr Suite for a New Years Eve wedding. Yes this is a historical hotel but I think its over priced for my taste. The shower curtain didn't help keep water inside tube. To turn shower head on you have to pull down the little thing under the spout. Since I'm not used to anything like that it took me a minute to figure it out. The shower drains a little slow. The sink is nice but its very easy to get a lot of water on top or into floor. The TV for the bedroom area wasn't even fully connected. I had to go behind TV and press cables in just to get TV to turn on. The LG flat screens looked pretty new. You only have a handful of TV channels to watch. They would rather you rent movies or games through LodgeNet then anything else. I had go lower the temp in the room as it seemed stuffy to me. It was set at 70 which is usually fine. The lobby and surrounding area is very nice. The staff was nice and helpfully. They have a wheel chair elevator that is by the Silver Ball Room area but staff didn't use it when my uncle needed to get around the steps to the wedding. Instead they took him back downstairs to go through the freight elevator by the kitchen. You can pay for valet parking or park yourself there. The wireless internet is so slow that dial up would be like having broadband compared to it. There is a Starbucks right next door so it would be nice if you love Starbucks. There is a Porterhouse restaurant on site but is high dollar for breakfast compared to IHOP. If it was up to me I would rather spend the money going to Pigeon Forge then staying there.

1  Thank bthomas4451
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous ! We were able to book thought Priceline at a very good rate. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpfu. The room itself was a generic hotel room but it did not have a mini refrigerator. This surprised me because most rooms come with one now. Traveling with to small children we had no where to store their milk. Also the black out curtains could not be closed all of the way. This was a problem because the parking garage across the street has really bright lights. I did not sleep either night we were there. I would stay here again if we could get the same type price, but I would make sure the room was on the other side of the building. The location is wonderful for downtown.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank FamilyonthemoveTN
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have stayed here a few times and enjoy the fast access to the interstate and options to walk pretty much everywhere.

The front desk staff is friendly and answers all questions in great detail. The valet parking staff is excellent! They are working fast and efficient. Well done.

The rooms definitely need an upgrade on the soft items, as well as in the bathrooms. Our shower was scratched, lost paint in the corners, and was not a pleasant view. The beds slept great and were clean. The heating system in the room worked on the unit, but did not work with the remote control unit in the room. I call the front desk and engineering was there right away. Excellent response time.

Overall, the hotel shows its age, which makes the stay pleasant and comfortable. If there would be required upgrades, the hotel would do well.

Valet parking was well priced.

The Starbucks in the hotel is a great plus, and added to our vacation experience. The free shuttle busses are right across and down the street. This is a great option to get around.

We did not use the restaurant or room service.

The gym facility is excellent, great new machines, and the pool was very clean and other guests enjoyed their time there. I read that some other guests did not like the fact that the vending machines had been removed. I think that this is a great idea, especially, when you have a room near the location of the vending machine, the noise factor is not helping at night.

Overall, it was a very good experience. The Sheraton needs to come up with some ideas to be able to compete with the Holiday Inn, Marriott and Hilton properties that are closer to the attractions and restaurant. We enjoyed walking to these locations, but not everybody likes to walk 15 minutes.

1  Thank DEbener