“Wedding Party”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #21 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed over night in a Jr Suite for a New Years Eve wedding. Yes this is a historical hotel but I think its over priced for my taste. The shower curtain didn't help keep water inside tube. To turn shower head on you have to pull down the little thing under the spout. Since I'm not used to anything like that it took me a minute to figure it out. The shower drains a little slow. The sink is nice but its very easy to get a lot of water on top or into floor. The TV for the bedroom area wasn't even fully connected. I had to go behind TV and press cables in just to get TV to turn on. The LG flat screens looked pretty new. You only have a handful of TV channels to watch. They would rather you rent movies or games through LodgeNet then anything else. I had go lower the temp in the room as it seemed stuffy to me. It was set at 70 which is usually fine. The lobby and surrounding area is very nice. The staff was nice and helpfully. They have a wheel chair elevator that is by the Silver Ball Room area but staff didn't use it when my uncle needed to get around the steps to the wedding. Instead they took him back downstairs to go through the freight elevator by the kitchen. You can pay for valet parking or park yourself there. The wireless internet is so slow that dial up would be like having broadband compared to it. There is a Starbucks right next door so it would be nice if you love Starbucks. There is a Porterhouse restaurant on site but is high dollar for breakfast compared to IHOP. If it was up to me I would rather spend the money going to Pigeon Forge then staying there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bthomas4451
There are newer reviews for The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous ! We were able to book thought Priceline at a very good rate. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpfu. The room itself was a generic hotel room but it did not have a mini refrigerator. This surprised me because most rooms come with one now. Traveling with to small children we had no where to store their milk. Also the black out curtains could not be closed all of the way. This was a problem because the parking garage across the street has really bright lights. I did not sleep either night we were there. I would stay here again if we could get the same type price, but I would make sure the room was on the other side of the building. The location is wonderful for downtown.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank FamilyonthemoveTN
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have stayed here a few times and enjoy the fast access to the interstate and options to walk pretty much everywhere.

The front desk staff is friendly and answers all questions in great detail. The valet parking staff is excellent! They are working fast and efficient. Well done.

The rooms definitely need an upgrade on the soft items, as well as in the bathrooms. Our shower was scratched, lost paint in the corners, and was not a pleasant view. The beds slept great and were clean. The heating system in the room worked on the unit, but did not work with the remote control unit in the room. I call the front desk and engineering was there right away. Excellent response time.

Overall, the hotel shows its age, which makes the stay pleasant and comfortable. If there would be required upgrades, the hotel would do well.

Valet parking was well priced.

The Starbucks in the hotel is a great plus, and added to our vacation experience. The free shuttle busses are right across and down the street. This is a great option to get around.

We did not use the restaurant or room service.

The gym facility is excellent, great new machines, and the pool was very clean and other guests enjoyed their time there. I read that some other guests did not like the fact that the vending machines had been removed. I think that this is a great idea, especially, when you have a room near the location of the vending machine, the noise factor is not helping at night.

Overall, it was a very good experience. The Sheraton needs to come up with some ideas to be able to compete with the Holiday Inn, Marriott and Hilton properties that are closer to the attractions and restaurant. We enjoyed walking to these locations, but not everybody likes to walk 15 minutes.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DEbener
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Visited Chattanooga-had a good time hiking near the area, dining and seeing the sights. Great short get a way from Atlanta. Our room at the Read House was a junior suite with a king bed-nice size for 2 people though the bathroom was a bit small. Our room was quiet and we slept well. We enjoyed the old time ambiance and elegance of the hotel especially the chandeliers and piano player in the lobby. My suggestions for the hotel are to clean the rooms more thoroughly and though the front desk staff was friendly they could use better training on places to go and things to do. We will stay at this hotel again especially if we get another great rate.

Room Tip: Request a corner suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taxbuster
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for two nights for a family getaway. Our son loves trains so we thought Chattanooga would be perfect. We reserved a junior suite to have a little more room. When we checked in, we were given a room and the key didn't work so we went down for a new set, those didn't work so we asked for a new room. We were given another room and all was fine. Nice size for the junior suite. Gave us plenty of room to spead out. Didn't feel cramped at all. The bathroom, on the other hand was TINY! I travel a lot and this was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. Bed was SUPER comfortable! Asked about club level and they said it was closed. Hotel room was renovated but still seemed old. Super convenient to the free shuttle! We parked upon check in and didn't drive until we left. Overall good hotel, just older. Not sure if we would stay again or go down to a newer hotel closer to the aquarium.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Morrisfamily1
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. Dec 25 and 26. The hotel is a historic hotel with a beautiful lobby. Check in was very easy. Once again I got a good rate thanks to William Shatner. The room was nice, but awkwardly laid out. There was 1 TV located in the "living" portion that swiveled and you could see it from the bed. The bathroom was very small. Wireless internet was speedy! Our first night a cable broke outside of our window and was slapping against the window all night. The next morning, I notified the front desk of the issue so they could get it fixed. They offered a $10 voucher to Starbucks (on site). Made my wife happy as she is a Starbucks junkie. Although they did not fix the cable by the time we checked out the following day. On our last night, the fire alarm went off at 1145pm. We had to get out of bed, get dressed, walk down 5 flights of stairs, and stand in the 28 degree weather until the fire department arrived...25 minutes later. It sucked and disrupted our sleep. No compensation was offered. Valet was nice, in and out for $15 per day which is a deal as I get used to the $25-$30 fee for downtown / midtown Atlanta valet.

Overall Nice Stay but some minor issues dropped the Sheraton Read House down 1 notch in my book.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lukerenfroe
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is our annual stop as we drive through TN. The hotel is pet friendly and has covered dive through entrance which makes unloading with pets and or small children very easy. The rooms are spacious however a bit outdated.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family