“Outstanding!!!”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #22 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Everything about our stay was fantastic! We had a junior suite and it was very spacious! HIGHLY recommend this hotel - we will DEFINITELY be back on special occasions! Nicole arranged for an extremely early check-in time, as my wife had to take some medications prior to surgery the following day. The entire hotel staff treated us like family. Truly wonderful.

Room Tip: The junior suite feels like home!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

I am so very, very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN. I am particularly grateful to you for your most kind comments about our staff - I will certainly share them, especially with Nicole. Very glad you were able to experience one of our Junior King Suites! Thank you so much for your business and we really look forward to welcoming you back on one of those "special ocassions"...!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I came for a getaway weekend, it was a return visit. Our junior suite was spacious with a large, deep tub which we both took advantage of for hot baths. Excellent king size bed. Downtown attractions were within easy walking distance. Read House has charm and history. Only disappointment was the hot tub seems to e per mantels covered up and out of fervid. This is a letdown for a property of this caliber. Still, I give it four stars for combination of comfort, style and value,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you so much for returning to stay with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - we are so grateful for your repeat business and are pleased that we met your overall expectations. Of course, I totally agree with you about our location and our Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper" beds. My apologies about the Hot Tub; however, this has, in fact, been taken permanently out-of-commission for mechanical reasons. Thanks again for your business and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The room was nicely appointed, but my heat went out. Maintenance fixed w/in 30 minutes. The hotel is a little further out of downtown than I would have liked, but the free shuttle across the street runs every 5 minutes or so until 11:00PM. Staff is helpful and friendly. If you get a good price on this property, I'd definitely stay there - unless you are trying to go out at night - then maybe find a place closer downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for the haunted room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnnieJK
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am very pleased you enjoyed our facilities and I thank you for the kind comment about our staff. I am glad you had an opportunity to use the city's Electric Shuttle; as you undoubtedly noticed we have our very own "Read House" stop on the route which is perfect for our customers. Thanks for staying with us and I hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you again when your travels next bring you back our way.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Sink had large spider crack that could have bacteria, ver unsanitary. Tub drain assembly.was not attached. Wallpaper was peeling. Common areas were well maintained. Not uo to Sheraton 's standards. We were traveling for a funeral and were staying for only one night or would have aasked for another room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bhs1948

I really appreciate and thank you for the feedback you provided about the issues you encountered in your room; this is totally unacceptable and I have already directed that the items you outlined be addressed. I am so very sorry you were disappointed and that we failed to meet your expectations. Please give us the opportunity to regain your confidence as I am sure you will find that this was not a typical reflection of us. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

When traveling, we prefer to stay at Sheraton Hotel because of their hospitality and top quality. We did stop here last year and had a rather poor experience due to a heating/aircondition problem...our room did not go below 85 degrees! They did apologize and gave us a nice breakfast as a token of their apology. So we decided to stay there again this year, thinking that things would be better...WRONG! I read a lot of their reviews, saw electric outlet problems, dirty rooms, noise problems, etc., but we stopped there again, and this will be the LAST time! Coffee maker would not work, electric outlets did not work, room was very cramped and musty, bathroom door would not open and close (almost was stuck inside and had to put a hard shoulder to the door to open it), room service never brought a new coffee pot, nobody offered help, could not change rooms, and their only apology was...gee,we are so sorry, hopefully next visit will be better, we did tell them this was our LAST visit here. Read the reviews close, they have a very old building and do not take care of it, but they sure charge for it.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Albert B
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Needless to say I was so very sad and disappointed to read your comments, especially since this was a return visit for you. Every once and awhile things just align badly from start to finish, where we simply blow it from top to bottom. Clearly this was one of those times and I cannot tell you how sorry I am and how badly I fell about what you experienced. In all honesty I can tell you, and I hope you will recognize, that this was really an incredibly unusual exception and not at all what we are known for and strive to provide. I totally understand how you feel and cannot apologize enough; I would love the opportunity to regain your confidence - please contact me directly if you are so inlcined and I will make sure we do better for you. Thank you for the feedback and again, I am sorry.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel on business all the time and this property is tops when I'm in Chattanooga. The location is near the convention center, and also close to the aquarium and tourism district downtown. There are several great restaurants (cheap to expensive) within a short walk, and Porters (if you like excellent steaks) is just downstairs.

The property is historic, so no impersonal Marriott/Hilton here, but it is very well maintained and retains it's luster from the past (so you have to be willing to see the "patina" for what it is. Grand ballrooms and lobby, with elevators lined in brass. The rooms are very clean, spacious and well-maintained. Agree with Mike W. - the beds cannot be beat. Seriously restful.

The staff is always accommodating, from the front desk (a bunch of friendly pranksters) to the valet staff to lounge and housekeeping. Everyone is professional and gets the job done right. They pride themselves in caring for the customer, and will work hard to right any wrong right away. Book a stay in the haunted room if you want an extra spooky experience (many have tried and left never to return).

The workout facility, pool and office area downstairs are well equipped and convenient. Overall a great place to stay whether on business or with family on vacation. Chatt has much to offer and the Sheraton is a great place to base yourself when here.

Room Tip: manor rooms are quieter, but not as grand as those in the main building. If you don't mind a li...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BizTraveler411

Allow me thank you so very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel, the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - but mostly for being such a loyal customer for which we are all very grateful. I presume you are an SPG member? Of course, I completely agree with you about our location and what our city has to offer both the business and leisure traveller. I am so pleased you enjoy our facilities and feel we take good care of you when you are with us - I am particularly grateful to you for your most kind comments about our staff. It is my sincere hope that we will continue to merit your trust and confidence in the future - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Since my better half was away on his annual guy's trip to a cigar convention in Vegas, I figured I would make the best of it and take a mini vacation. I loaded the kids in the car and headed up to Chattanooga. We had lunch and enjoyed the aquarium along with the nice, unseasonably warm weather. This was the first time I didn't have a hotel reservation before I traveled but decided to wing it. I finally decided to use Priceline to bid for a property downtown at around 6pm and I'm so glad I did!

We got the Sheraton Read House for 60% off the average price and had an awesome time! We were lucky enough to find a parking space on the street so we didn't have to pay for valet parking. It only got better from there. The lobby is extremely elegant and there is a phone bank with old fashioned telephones that are worth taking pictures of. The room was very nice and the beds are to die for!!! Believe every positive thing you read about them on here! There is an indoor pool that my son was excited about; he even convinced my daughter and I to go down for a dip. There's a 24-hour diner on the corner that has wonderfully fattening food and the biggest pieces of cake that I had ever seen. As a matter of fact, I've eaten off of it for two days and still have some left!

There are a few reasons that I didn't give it 5 stars. The hallways are a bit noisy since the room doors tend to slam shut. You can also hear the plumbing from the rooms next door while in the tiny bathroom; minor issues and nothing that should adversely affect your stay. Also, the Internet was quite spotty; I had to angle my iPad to catch a signal sometimes. Again, not a big deal especially since it was free and most places charge these days!

I would stay here again in a heartbeat and will recommend it to everyone I know!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michele R
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit with us here at the hictoric Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am so pleased that you were assigned our hotel via Priceline. I know we are not Las Vegas but I am glad you and your children had the opportunity to take advantage of what our great City has to offer. In addition I am really pleased that you enjoyed our hotel facilities - our Lobby is original and dates back to 1926. Our Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper" beds are the best in the industry and our indoor pool is the best in the downtown area. Thanks for mentioning the WiFi connection issue; it appears that certain iPad users are affected and we are currently working with our vendor to address this. Thanks again for staying with us and I hope you will chose to make another trip our way - please stay with again when you do!