“THE most comfortable bed ever!”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Hot Springs
“THE most comfortable bed ever!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed 2 nights here in October. This is a beautiful, older, historic hotel. The rooms have received a modern upgrade, but still maintain their charm. My room was a junior suite, but I'm not sure if all rooms are the same size. Hotel is located within walking distance of downtown (6-8 blocks)...or you can ride the free shuttle. Parking is $15 per day for valet. Meter parking is available on the street, and there is a garage nearby. The staff was very friendly. Ask the desk clerk about restaurant choices. They have discounts available to many of the nearby places. The room was very clean. Mine had a living area with TV, couch, chair, and a small "wetbar" area. The bedroom was very roomy with a second TV and had a desk for a work area. There is NO counter space in the bathroom, as the sink is free-standing. But there are small shelves above the toilet to place your toiletries. THE BED WAS THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED THAT I HAVE EVER SLEPT IN! My only complaint was the hot water. My room was at the end of the hall. I had to let the water run 2-4 minutes before it got it warm. I gues this was because I was so far away from the water heater. Not a major issue...the bed more than made up for that! A great stay overall. I would definitely suggest this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the center of the halls should provide hot water much quicker.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike W
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and our facilities. I particularly appreciate your kind feedback about our staff. You were upgaded to one of our Junior Suites in the historic Tower section of our Hotel - many but not all our rooms fit this category. As for the Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper" bed, I could not agree with you more - we have had many, many customers say the exact same thing as you have. We are truly grateful for your business and do hope you will stay with us again when your travels next bring you back our way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
University Place, Washington
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First impression was valet - they were wonderful. I knew in advance I would be charged $15.00 per day for parking from other reviews (though no one at the hotel told me). The charge is also taxed, so it is actually more then $15.00. I also tipped every time I took my car out.
Then walked into the hotel, very beautiful. Loved the ambiance and old world charm, after all this is an old hotel. Unfortunately they only had one person working the front desk. I checked in around 3pm on a Monday afternoon, along with several other people. Needless to say it took awhile to check in and then all she did was check you in, no other helpful information was given other than to point to where the elevators were. Same thing with check out on a Thursday morning, but checking out was a quick process, especially since I checked out later than most people.
My room was beautiful: 342. King bed and I was staying by myself so it seemed like I had plenty of room. There were some stains on the furniture, but nothing that seemed excessive. Bathroom was also nice and I had plenty of counter space for my things. Wifi worked fine in my room, didn't try it anywhere else. The quality of the paper products was substandard, I was fighting a cold and using a lot of tissues, they seemed very rough. The bed was comfortable, though I didn't care for the pillows; too big and too soft, but that is due to my personal preference, I'm sure others would find them perfect.
The negatives about the room: noise...I could hear the staff in the hallways and when the elevators or ice machine were being used. Doors tended to slam shut. It was difficult to keep the room at a comfortable temperature, the fan was very noisy every time it came on. I never realized until my last day that I had a coffee machine in the room. It was located in an area I wouldn't think to look for it. There was no other staff; concierge to help with questions, you had to wait until the front desk staff was available to help. I did have an employee chase me down when I tried to look at the silver ballroom another reviewer had recommended seeing. I did get a glimpse of it and it was lovely. There are also panhandlers outside the hotel and it does get tiresome to have them approach you every time you are outside the hotel. There is no doorman to help.
The bartender in the lounge was very nice and helpful with questions. The staff at Starbucks did not seem very friendly. I never ate at the restaurant, but the food I saw looked very good.
I was thankful I got my room through Priceline, otherwise it would have seemed outrageously high.

Room Tip: Bring your own bottled water, most water in Tennessee doesn't taste very well. There are a lot o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed comments regarding your recent visit with us here - I really appreciate it as such feedback is forever helpful with improving what and how we do. I am glad you enjoyed the historic aspects of our Hotel - the Lobby and Silver Ballroom both date back to 1926 and we are immensely proud of both. All hotels in the downtown area charge for Valet Parking but in our case we are one of the only fully controlled garages that is staffed 24/7 and allows unlimited ins-and-outs included in the same price - plus our customers never have to deal with inclement weather conditions when they arise. I am glad to hear you felt they gave you good service - they really do a great job for us. By the way, they take care of all our "bell-related" duties here including what you might have been referring to in terms of a "doorman". Thanks again for your input and for staying with us.
Ogdensburg, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Only stayed one night for business. The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming. The room itself was average. It was obvious it was a little need of a facelift. It was roomy and the bed was comfortable. It lacked enough electrical outlets, which really is a must have these days with all the chargers that need to be plugged in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments - I appreciate the positive comments about our staff and Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. We will be undergoing an extensive renovation next year which will address the points you raised. Thank you for your business and please give us another opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was looking for a nicely remodeled older hotel with some charm. What I got was a little short of the mark and far short of the price tag. I have stayed in nicer hotels in Chattanooga for less so unless old hotel is your number one criteria keep looking.

I had a few issues with this hotel.
1) In an “upscale” hotel I expect all the little things to be right and the fit and finish just wasn’t so great here. The hotel has been remodeled but it just does not seem to have been done with care. See pictures.
2) I opted for the “club level” which includes a private lounge with evening snacks and breakfast. When I checked in this was not acknowledged. When I came back down a couple minutes later to ask about the club level I was told that on weekends they give vouchers for the restaurant. The vouchers were for an appetizer at dinner and a continental breakfast. I suppose this could be a plus if you wanted to go to the restaurant but we did not have any desire to go to the restaurant for dinner. Breakfast was a buffet which is pretty much what I expected so no complaints or compliments there.
3) My wife was stuck by carpet tacks at the doorway where the carpet was damaged but not fixed. See picture.
4) The bathroom commode pipe (public bathroom style) was not attached to the wall so I felt like I was going to rip it out of the wall every time I flushed and the wallpaper was filthy.
5) Housekeeping leaves something to be desired with dust and I believe mold in the AC vents and returns. See picture.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel O
Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback about your recent visit; I am truly sorry that your experience did not measure up to your expectations. I do appreciate the feedback and there is little excuse for the issues you describe. I have since assigned that particular room for additional preventative maintenance. I am sorry you chose not to use the vouchers we issued to you for our Porter's Steakhouse as I am confident you would have really enjoyed the complimentary appetizers. Perhaps you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust should you travel back our way - I am confident you would have a much better time. Thank you for staying with us.
Cincinnati
Reviewed October 16, 2012

While I'd like to cut this place some slack as its a historic property, I can't. Room has a musty smell that appears to come from the pipes? TV is situated in a place for which its hard to see. Water pressure in the shower is similar to that of a squirt gun.

• Stayed October 2012
While I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback I am so very sorry we did not meet your expectations. In a very few cases some of the room configurations in the historic Tower side are a bit unusual and I am sorry this presented inconvenience. However, we do not have any kind of water pressure issue of the nature you describe - I can only conclude that the showe head, which is adjustable, must have somehow been set incorrectly. Thank for for staying with us.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel was very nice. I was a little surprised that the valet parking, which was necessary, was $15 a day. However, the problem I had was with the cleanliness of the room. The bathroom floor was filthy, the room needed dusting, and the air conditioning vent was nasty. Someone came right away to clean the vent, but beyond that, nothing was done. The ordinary cleaning was done...the bathroom floor wasn't even touched. Not what I expected from a top-notch hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback; while I am happy to know you enjoyed your visit and the Hotel overall I am not pleased to hear about the issues with your room. Please accept my apologies for this - I have already shared your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper in order to take the appropriate actions. As to your comment about Valet parking, all hotels in downtown Chattanooga charge for parking. We are one of the only ones that fully controls our own covered garage 24/7 with unlimited ins-and-outs included in the same daily price, plus our customers never have to deal with inclement weather.
Statham, GA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family and I stayed here on a Friday & Saturday night. We normally stay at a hotel a little closer to the aquarium, but I had starpoints that I needed to use so we chose the Sheraton Read house. The inside lobby is absolutely beautiful. We also walked around and peaked in at the silver ball room and it was stunning. It was set up for a wedding and was amazing.

When we arrived in our room we were impressed by the size of the room. We had a deluxe 2 queen room. However, we quickly discovered that the walls were paper thin. I had the worst night of sleep ever at a hotel because Friday evening I kept getting woken up by people opening and slamming their doors. We could hear others in their rooms. The doors are very loud when they slam shut. We were also next to the stairwell and I don't think that helped the situation. I almost asked to change rooms, but I decided I didn't want to deal with the hassle of packing up when we were only there for one more evening. Saturday night was better in terms of the noise. I'm hoping it was just the particular location we were in and it wasn't that way in the entire hotel.

Since we had previously stayed across the street from the aquarium I was a little worried about the distance to the children's museum and the aquarium, but the electric bus was great and had us to the aquarium in no time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am very grateful to you for taking the time to share such detailed comments about your recent visit; I am glad you enjoyed your overall experience. Thank you for your comments about our historic Lobby and Siver Ball Room - both are original and date back to 1926. I completely agree with you regarding our location and the proximity to the city's Electric Shuttle - as you saw we are fortunate to have our very own "Read House" stop along the route. I am sorry about the noise you experienced on that Friday evening and really hope it did not detract too much from the rest of your time with us. Please visit us again if you are back this way and thank you both for your business and for being a loyal SPG member!