“Great location in historic building but in need of some updates”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We visited Chattanooga for a long weekend vacation and stayed at the Read House. The building is a great location, right along the route of the free downtown shuttle. There are also rental bikes nearby if that interests you. The ambiance is nice, with several historic touches such as the mail drop on each floor that empties into the collection box in the lobby and the pretty wood columns and walls in the lobby. The front desk staff and valets are helpful and very polite. Our king suite room was spacious with a living area and sleeping area. The bed was to be expected from a Sheraton hotel. I do have a few complaints though, most namely the size and condition of the bathroom. It was tiny and outdated. The entire shower needed replacing, the ceiling above the shower was crumbling due to the humidity, there is hardly any counter space, no exhaust fan or window, etc. My other complaint was the lack of bedding for and uncomfortable cushions on the pull out sofa.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the elevators and got a room with windows on three sides.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

I am grateful to you both for your business and for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am glad you chose to stay with us. I completely agree with you about our location and proximity to the city's Electric Shuttle - it's great for our customers because we have our very own "Read House" stop on the route. I am glad we were able to accomodate you in one of our suites in the historic tower side; some of the bathrooms are, indeed, a bit smaller than in our other buliding - I am sorry if this detracted from your overall visit. Thanks again for staying with us; I hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sheraton Read House. The dark woodwork that makes up the lobby is impressive. Every member of the staff we encountered from check-in,valet, room service, wait staff at the restaurant etc, were helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet at Porter's was good. They had a nice selection of fruits, proteins and grains and everything was fresh even though we walked in right before the buffet was supposed to be over.

Our room was a Jr. King Suite. It was nice to have the extra sitting area separate from the bedroom. The bed was super comfortable and had elegant, yet comfy linens and pillows.
The only slight issues we had was that there was some mildew looking stuff on the ceiling above our shower. But thit is understandable since the bathroom is small and there is no vent. I couldn't figure out how to turn the shower head on, so I sheepishly called the front desk. They said they get the same call all morning. All I had to do was grab the bottom of the end of the faucet and pull down. Voila! The shower was on.
The a/c unit seems off balance. It won't cool off the bedroom, but the sitting room was a comfortable temperature. It was odd at one point there was air blowing out of the locking mechanism of my bathroom door frame. None of these things caused a dent in our stay. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am so pleased you enjoyed your overall visit and felt our staff took such good care of you. I appreciate your comments about our Lobby - which is original and dates back to 1926 - and our breakfast Buffet in Porter's. Did you have a chance to sample any of our Lunch or Dinner selections? Our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are among the very best in the industry! Thanks for bringing to my attention the issues in the bathroom - I have had the stain addressed; sorry about the confusion with the shower faucet. Thanks for staying with us and I do hope you will think of us again next time to travel to Chattannoga.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel has a cool "historic-feeling" lobby - there are old fashioned wooden telephone booths in the lobby (and you can use the phones to call up to the rooms). It is within walking distance of almost everything, and right on the free trolley line that goes all over downtown Chattanooga.

The front desk staff was super friendly & helpful...they provided information on some cool things going on that weekend. The room we stayed in was spacious, the bed was super comfortable, and the wifi was fast. A perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN, and for taking the time to share your thoughts; I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your visit with us and felt we took good care of you. I am particularly grateful to you for your kind comments about our Front Desk staff - I will certainly share these with them. Our Lobby dates back to 1926 and the wood you reference is all original. I hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back our way - thanks again for your business!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was my third time at the historic Read House---first time visiting was a small child though!

The valets and front desk staff were all friendly and very helpful. Room service from Porters was great and the housekeeping staff attentive. We enjoyed having a Starbucks attached to the hotel and the hotel is in walking distance to many of the downtown venues.

I echo many of the previous reviewers that the rooms could use a little updating. The lobby is breathtaking and the historic charm of a old hotel is nice, but the rooms---particularly our bathroom could need attention and renovation. A very small bathroom for a suite. The pedestal sink left no space to put anything, a simple addition of more shelves would be simple fix.

Generally it was a very nice stay for a weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you so much for commenting on your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN. I really appreciate your kind comments about our staff, location, Porter's and Starbucks - I will certainly share these with them - and am pleased you felt we took good care of you. I note your comments about the bathroom; know that renovation plans are currently in process for the near future. Thank you for your continued patronage and loyalty to our hotel; we know how many lodging choices you have and we hope we can continue to be of service to you when you visit Chattanooga again.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

While this hotel is charming in a 'vintage' fashion, and the staff were all very helpful and welcoming, there were a few issues that affected our overnight stay there. We had a suite room with a pull out sofa bed. The mattress was in dire need of replacement being very thin, not at all comfortable. You could feel the support braces and springs right through it . The pillows on the full bed had a faint 'musty' smell. In the bathroom the swing arm mirror had been propped up against the wall mirror and fell right off with the slightest touch. Perhaps a previous guest had damaged the mirror and failed to alert the staff?? Very dangerous as it could have shattered in the sink and cut someone. The mirror had been screwed to the drywall with no supports. Basically held on by paper and chalk!
The staff offered to repair it immediately but we were checking out early so I declined.
Overall a satisfactory stay and a great location to take in Chattanooga's attractions.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us here; while I am pleased to read your very kind comments about our staff service and location I cannot say the same for the issues you describe relating to your room. While I appreciate your understanding and acknowledgement of our desire to react to them these should not have slipped past us and I want to offer my apologies. I hope you will give us another opportunity to make an even better impression next time your travels bring you back to Chattanooga - thank you for your business.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Read House for 3 nights over Labor Day weekend. We live in Atlanta and wanted a quick and easy outdoorsy weekend. Chattanooga definitely fit the bill.

Check in was easy and efficient. The hotel recently stopped doing Club level service on the weekend and instead provided us with 2 vouchers per day that gave you free breakfast or an app at Porter's. That worked out perfectly for us; the apps at Porter's were great (we tried crab cakes and coconut shrimp).

We were upgraded to a suite given our number of Starwood stays. The room was nice for a historic hotel but could definitely use a little refreshing. However, I really can't complain; again, this is a historic hotel so you shouldn't expect it to feel like a newly constructed building and the things that really mattered (sheets and towels) were perfect. There were also 2 terrycloth robes that were incredibly comfortable. The lighting was definitely not great which made putting on makeup a challenge as I needed to go to the window to get any decent light. Beds were incredibly comfortable and all of the bath products Sheratons offer are nice and usable (unlike the products at a Courtyard or Springhill Suites that smell like dish washing detergent). The room did seem a bit damp for some reason; I was thinking maybe they had just had the carpets cleaned.

Location was super-you are right by a park with live music on Friday nights and also one of those great bike rental stations. In all honesty, though, the Aquarium area is the place to be. You can easily walk there from the Read House, but there are other hotel options that are closer. In my opinion, the Read House is such a special and historic place that it is worth the little bit of a walk.

Housekeeping wasn't great; night one we had 6 big towels, night 2 they left 4 for us; night 3? We were down to 2 towels and the shower cap disappeared? Strange. Also, they didn't do little things like put away the ironing board when they came and cleaned the room. Again, completely not a big deal; just little things we noticed.

Valet service was fine; it was never really busy so we never waited for more than 5 minutes.

All and all, I give this place high marks. It's just a special hotel with a very beautiful lobby and a lot of history.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Maximillion1000000

Please accept my thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments about your Labor Day weekend visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN - we are so grateful you chose to stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your overall visit and had the opportunity to experience what our city has to offer. I notice your comments about our location and walking to the TN Aquarium area - did you have a chance to use the city's Electric Shuttle that runs along Broad Street? We have our very own "Read House" stop which makes it even more convenient for our guests. My apologies about the erratic housekeeping service - I appreciate you bringing it to attention in order that I may follow-up. Finally, I am very glad you had a chance to sample some of what we have to offer in Porter's Steakhouse; I really hope you will visit us again and expand your sampling there and maybe try our Starbucks for breakfast! Thanks again for your business.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a great weekend in the Noog staying with the Sheraton Read House Hotel. The location is awesome, the building is magnificent, but the big deal here is the incredible service from the staff. The guys working the valet were especially great. The hotel is located close to all kinds of hot spots, including the City Cafe which is a 24 hour diner. Thanks for the great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...rooms are okay, the bathroom was really beat, but the corner room is the way...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

My sincere thanks to you both for your feedback and for staying with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am happy to read that you enjoyed your visit and our facilities here. Most of all I appreciate your kind comments about our staff members; we really do strive to provide the highest level of personalized service possible and it is always heartening to learn when we are succeeding. I agree with you about our location - did you have the chance to utilize the city's Electric Shuttle service? We have our very own "Read House" stop on the route that takes you right down to the Riverfront areas and back. I hope you will choose to visit us again and thanks once more for your business!